Purpose of each of the five factions

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: Purpose of each of the five factions

Post by Helen_Combe »

Well they needed a cross faction, faction for cleaning. Otherwise, who cleans a the toilets and does the laundry in Dauntless and Erudite? They would both consider it below them. If abnegation did it, Eruditers must have been desperate when they cut ties with them.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Fitting a whole society into different groups would be an impossible task. Not everyone is always brave, or honest, or happy etc, at all times.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It is similar to how there was a caste system in some ancient cultures, where a person born into that caste could only work in the field meant for that caste. This was created for the purpose of maintaining peace and order too, although, it obviously fell apart and thankfully not too relevant today.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Each of the five factions had very important roles in society. The overall purpose of maintaining peace and unity by generalizing the groups and avoiding conflict was demonstrated clearly throughout the novel. Similarly, each faction had general personality types that would be drawn to it according to the trait. For instance, Amity would be happy, Dauntless would be confident risk-takers, and Erudites would be generally intelligent or determined individuals. While I don´t think that it would be believable to say that every person could fit into these five factions, I don´t personally believe I would add any simply because it would distract from the plot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think they're just based off of other YA fiction like Harry Potter, eg. Erudite is Ravenclaw, Dauntless is Gryffindor, etc. Obviously they don't encompass every single personality type, that would be pretty impossible.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

The factions are used to define and control people, but no-one can really be defined and thus you could never accommodate all personality types.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

The five factions, apart from fulfilling a divisive role, sought put desired characteristics and put them in an environment to hone that particular trait. I do think the factions represent core traits, and there are a host more not explored, but those would have just clogged the plot.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I think the factions fulfilled all the basic needs of the people because if they didn't then this society wouldn't have held as far. Still, I'd create a faction for the divergent - they'd be good leaders because of their diversity. The factionless served to keep the people in line - so everyone would rather conform to what faction they chose than risk becoming factionless. Chaos would have ensued if people thought they could be kicked out of one faction and easily join another. The factionless don't band together because they lack resources.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I am still unsure as to what Candor's do for the society. I think there's also no factions for entertainment so the factions only seem to fulfil survival needs not anything else.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

The main purpose of factions is to assign people their career based on their own personality. This I think is quite a novel perspective. In our own world, we constantly see people working, nay trudging on somehow in jobs they hate but have to keep working in nonetheless.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think the factions can’t encapsulate all of human nature, but it does cover a large part
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

I think factions for most parts cover mainstream personalities. But then again, there is the glaring issue of the Factionless. So I'm not sure.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think personality types are represented well in society. It is certainly something to work for, to be honest, brave, selfless, loyal, and intelligent. I think many of us can obtain all of these qualities if we want, but sometimes it is common to struggle with something. I think the point that this book attempts to make though is that all of these personalities should be valued and cherished.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

While the factions were built to accommodate people who are similar to ensure that no unnecessary conflicts arise in society to due to clashing traits, I found them to be useless in the long run. It wasn't the right solution at all.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

I believe fractions were the major part on how the person behaved. It helped to maximise a person's true strength to it's potential rather than lay waste. But it didn't work with divergent People or people with no talents.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”