Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by Sorchadorcha »

Divergent was a brilliant book. It's predecessors, however, ruined the series completely. Tris came across as whiny and began to irritate me so much. There were plenty of eye rolling moments and too many cliches for my liking. My advice is to treat Divergent as a stand alone book and not to taint it by finishing the series.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Patrick1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Patrick1 »

The dystopian novel fad in recent years made it difficult to write something fresh in this genre. Divergent succeeded in doing so, to a degree. I was constantly reminded of the targeted age group -- so much sexual tension in the air without anything more than an occasional kiss -- so the range of the story had its limits. But the jealousies, competition, suspicion, yearning to belong to a group, etc., all made the teenage world so real that acne seemed to be an assumed reality even though it was never mentioned. I read all four books, and I saw the three movies.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

This is one of the few books and movies I did not really enjoy. I felt the story line bland and rather boring. I would not recommend this book to others.
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

I know this says Divergent, but it's hard to talk about this book without mentioning the rest of the trilogy, since I believe the ending is paramount. Divergent has a cool premise, a decent if typical protagonist, and some interesting supporting characters. Too bad it's only downhill from there. Insurgent was meh, but Allegiant was so bad I could barely finish it.

Maybe I grew out of it, since I read Allegiant a couple years after Divergent, but based on other people's feedback I don't think I'm alone.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I love the characters and their personalities but I could not understand this utopia world they build. The idea that every one has a dominant or just one personality makes no sense. It was known to help keep the peace but then one faction was in rule of the government. The writing style was great it just did not capture the true idea of what a utopia society should be like.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I really didn't like the story because I found the plot difficult to understand
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I enjoyed the book, mainly for the sexual tension between Tris and Four.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Lornasandra36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lornasandra36 »

A really easy and addictive read!
Divergent is packed with action, anticipation and emotion, and I really throughly enjoyed reading it. A little bit easier than my normal reads, but still just as great!
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Divergent. It was one of those books that kept my interest throughout. I was constantly wanting to read it, and I finished it in only a couple of days. I think the characters and world were so intricate and well-developed. Overall, the plot was interesting and unique, and the book is in one of my favorite genres, dystopian.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Divergent is an interesting take on what the future could hold. I hope that things never come to need factions because that would be a bleak future.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Joy lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joy lily »

I loved divergent.. The different factions make me excited.. I also want to live like dauntless !!! The dauntless wak pretty cool.. I love how they choose their fath but too bad that they have to separate with their family.. family should not be apart althought they have different faction.. that's will make their family perfect for each other..
Samantha2442
Currently Reading: Farenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha2442.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B01AZ8ERHI

Post by Samantha2442 »

Divergent is still one of my favourite books, and I've reread the book multiple times. I think Veronica Roth's writing is quite well done, and manages to carry on the plot nicely, while still allowing Tris to have personal characteristics and thoughts. The idea of Dauntless intrigued me right from the start as well, I like the idea of being brave, and how that doesn't necessarily mean large things, but can just mean standing up for someone else who is unable to. At the same time however, I think it's a great message that not everyone necessarily needs to fit into a category, and can be defined by more than one thing.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I rate it 4 stars, I thought it was excellent and well written. I really enjoyed it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought it was a strong beginning for a series. I loved the idea of factions and people getting to choose what "personality trait" they thought was most important for a society. I reread this book often. :)
K_ruth0914
Currently Reading: Interview with the Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by K_ruth0914 »

I really loved divergent. Yes some characters could have been a little more developed, and sometimes the story read a little rough but altogether it was a really fun read that made me want to start the next book right away. :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”