Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

Tucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Not a bad book but not an adult read

Post by Tucci »

I really liked the dystopian genre when I was a teen. I picked up this book and college and found that it was a little harder to relate to. I would find myself frustrated with decisions Tris made because they seemed childish. However, this book isn't written for adults so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The story was enticing and it kept me hooked despite my frustrations. When the third book switched to the perspective of Tobias I was very disappointed. It was a dead give away for the end of the book.
sarahgracetaylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahgracetaylor.html

Post by sarahgracetaylor »

I've seen the movies, and I don't think I've yet decided my opinion on them either. I haven't read the books but my parents got them for me for my kindle. I've been iffy about starting them, how are they compared to the movies?
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I feel that Divergent (as in the book, not the series) was a pretty good read. It was quite interesting and I was quite intrigued by this 'dystopian' society Tris lived in. The way the city was run by the factions was quite unique as well. However, I felt that Insurgent was not as good as Allegiant and Divergent. I really enjoyed the ending of the series. I haven't watched the movie, but I would definitely recommend Divergent (the book, not the series).
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

When I originally read it, I loved it but as time goes on, it just seems more and more bland to me. The setting, the characters, the conflicts all are becoming boring to me and that saddens me a bit.
My weekend is all booked!
stephlissa
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephlissa.html

Post by stephlissa »

I LOVED Divergent! And it absolutely broke my heart at the end of the series.

Tris was so perfectly flawed. Probably the first real antagonist I could identify with flaw-wise. Stubborn, low self-esteem, blablabla, but in the end capable of all the good she set out to do.

This series set me into a couple weeks withdrawal, that's for sure. I bought the novella "Four" but haven't read it yet.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green

Post by MerryLove »

Divergent was an excellent read. The author really did a great job of introducing her dystopian society in a way that was interesting and made sense (within the world at least). I loved learning about the different factions at the same time that the plot progressed through the novel. It was well woven together, and I have read it multiple times since my first reading. I would definitely recommend it to others who enjoy dystopian universes.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I unfortunately happened upon a huge spoiler for this series (on Facebook of course!) so I was reluctant to pick it up at first. I won't mention the spoiler, but it was something that would have made me love the book at the same time as being horribly upset, so I didn't see the point in reading when I knew something like that was going to happen. My sister kept telling me to read it and I'm glad I finally listened, at least for the most part. Besides all the sad, terrible and truly upsetting parts that will probably stay with me for weeks, I truly enjoyed this book! The idea of a world divided into factions was interesting to see as the book progressed and you could see more about each of them. For the most part the characters were easy to either love or hate, or the ones that weren't either weren't really a huge part in the book. I'm going to give myself some time between when I read the next one because I heard the story just gets worse (emotionally), but I do plan on finishing. I would recommend this to someone I knew could handle being upset by it. :lol:
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I didn't even know that there was a movie when I read it... but I really enjoyed it! I loved the first book but the second book... eh. I felt like the first and third book were much more action-packed than the second and honestly? I absolutely HATED the second book. But hey, the first and third book managed to make up for it, and I would recommend it.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I would absolutely recommend the Divergent series to fans of Young Adult books. I found it easy to fall into and become one of the characters in the story. There is easily a character for any reader to create a connection with. I enjoyed all of the plot twists that kept you on your toes throughout the series, making it difficult to see how things were going to end. (I'll just add I did not like the ending!) Unlike many novels in this genre, I didn't think too much emphasis was placed on the romance aspect, nor was too much detail included to make the reader feel queasy. The characters were well developed, in my opinion, as well as the story itself.
Journey beyond the jacket.
lily_loveheart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lily_loveheart »

loved DIvergent It was possibly one of the greatest books i have read so far going to start reading insurgent :D
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

The Divergent series taught me a lot! It taught me about pursuing my passion and standing up for what we deserve and what is morally right. It felt like an ironical way of how we view the world: generalizing people according to country, creed, religion and the like. Some people (here, the Divergents) are unique! Let us rejoice in our differences and treat everyone as equals! Each life matters.
yc123
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 906">percy jackson</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yc123 »

I very much enjoyed Veronica Roth's "Divergent". It was a very well written piece. I enjoyed that she did not make chapters on end explaining the rules of this post-war civilization. Instead she gave you what you need to know as you need to know it. It make reading so much more enjoyable. I also liked the way she created strong characters besides Tris.

It was a very enjoyable piece that had some very pleasant twists and some not-so-pleasant. It was an emotional roller coaster that I would be more than happy to ride again.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I really wanted to like this book. I think Roth had a great concept going and normally I would be all aboard. For me, it fell short. I gave the rest of the series a chance, thinking it could get better. It got worse for me. I absolutely cringed reading these books. I felt like the plots weren't fully thought out, not original and rushed.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I cherished this book and discovered it an incredible read. It was on my rundown for some time, so I was happy for an impetus to peruse it. The world building was extraordinary and the possibility of groups was captivating. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I think it was a good book, wonderful character development and good story line in general.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”