Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Post by MarieMc »

I guess we all want perfect endings, but there really is no perfect ending, except in fairy tales. I guess that sometimes we would like to
believe that everything just ends with riding off into the sunset, but we do all know that's not the case. So sometimes, even in fairy tale stories, the ending isn't perfect.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Skylar41
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

Allegiant was the least favorite from the Divergent series. The ending was terrible and I didn't enjoy the last pages of the book. Although the ending was sad, be glad that Veronica gave us a shocking ending that we didn't even expect.
Deodarax
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deodarax.html

Post by Deodarax »

The series was absolutely amazing! I believe the ending was fitting and was well written overall. The movies in my opinion does not do this book/series any justice at all.
charlotte21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte21.html

Post by charlotte21 »

I think that Allegiant was a real let down compared to the rest of the series. I couldn't wait to start reading it but after a few chapters I really lost interest and almost had to force myself to continue reading. Admittedly, the ending was intense but I don't think the build up was worth it. Overall, I definitely preferred the first two in the trilogy.
Host25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-host25.html

Post by Host25 »

I surprised myself with Allegiant and actually thinking the ending was fitting. I am a sucker for happy endings and obviously would have liked for Tris and Tobias to have lived happily ever after, but that was not what these books were about. If it had of ended that way we would have been short changed.
I picked these books up after seeing the movie which is never a good idea but the books were much better and I got really into them, I didn't see where it was going and I was shocked at the ending, when Tris went through so much suffering to die that way! I was upset I got really into the books. I definitely for one loved them.
trisprior
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trisprior.html

Post by trisprior »

There will be a lot of spoilers here so be warned.

This book destroyed me. I wept for three days and I'm not even kidding. I hated it so much, I still do. But I feel like a complete hypocrite because if the novel were to have a happy ending, I would have been very disappointed because that's how all the dystopias are ending nowadays. I think Veronica's choice in ending the book was very brave, but I'm still not for that ending. Not because of the dying in itself, but because of the way it was handled.

Caleb betrayed his sister and everyone. He had a chance to redeem himself. They needed someone to go into that room and he was inoculated against the death serum. Everything made perfect sense. It's completely logical for him to go in there and sacrifice himself. Then, of course, Tris has to jump in and be a hero.

I mean, come on. I thought she learned in Insurgent that she really wants to live. And here she goes crashing in, throwing her life away again. All the sacrifice crap felt cramped together in the end just to show that she's not recklessly throwing her life away, but I don't wanna hear that literally. I wanna SEE that her actions are out of care. I didn't see that. She leaves her damn gun outside the death serum room. Is that in any way not reckless? She jumps in to type the password, knowing that she will get shot halfway. Is that not reckless? I thought she was smart, that she could figure stuff out. I don't see much Erudite in this.

Lets not forget how Tobias dealt with the issue of his parents. All those years of abandonment, all the tricks his mother played on him, all the cruelty and hatred of the factions and the faction members, every little thing that happened in her lifetime that made her hate everyone who wasn't factionless and didn't suffer with her. All of that gone just in a few words from her son, everything illogically tied up so easily. It doesn't work like that. People talk about mother's love for her son, and I get that, but we're forgetting here that Evelyn is not a normal mother. She left her son to be tortured by his father all these years. No sense whatsoever in this book.

Enough about the ending.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one completely let down by the world outside the fence. Everything felt so repetitive. People who are accepted and taken in have no idea of the cruelty the government is doing behind their backs. Just like the factions. And there are genetically damaged, who are the equivalents of the factionless. Wow. Just wow. So much buzz about the world outside the fence, and then that.
I think it's Veronica's way of saying that humans just need someone to blame for the damage being done when they're all doing the damage themselves. But the way she expressed it is just wrong. I found myself understanding the government. I really don't get where she was going with this. The whole book felt written for the purpose of the ending and that's just wrong.

And Tobias. Oh, Tobias. I get that all characters need to have vulnerabilities but not to the point of destruction. He was completely ruined in this book. It's like Veronica took all his weaknesses and made them break him down and define him; just in one book. It defies his character so much because he's the kind of person who never lets his fears, his weaknesses, his soft spots control him. And let me just express my disappointment in the total disappearance of his bad-ass-edness.
The only thing I did like is Tris and Tobias. Not individually. But their relationship. They stopped being the couple they were in insurgent. They became mature and real. I love that Tris was considering breaking up with him because the truth is sometimes it gets hard being with your significant other. You're not always like,"Oh god, I'd never consider that, I love them!"
And again, like they were in Divergent, they made each other stronger.

Overall, I was completely let down by Allegiant.
Krizelle101
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krizelle101.html

Post by Krizelle101 »

Excellent writing from the author. But even if I don't want to, I still HATE this book because of the ending. It felt like reading the entire series was all came down to nothing. It was like all the hardships that the characters went through were pointless despite what they all achieved in the end. Upon finishing this book, I immediately regretted reading divergent and insurgent in the first place. The first and second books were really artfully, and creatively done because of the twists but then again, what ruined it for me was the ending of this story.
scunning2688
Currently Reading: a storm of swords
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by scunning2688 »

I understand the point that the author was trying to get across but I feel she missed the mark. The ending was absolutely horrible! It made me really angry because I truly enjoyed the first two books. I put down the third book and thought to myself "Wow, what a waste of my time!" For a while I thought maybe it was just because I wanted the stereotypical happy ending but after further consideration, I realized that wasn't the case. I get that the author was trying to show a true act of selflessness but it read more like a glorified suicide (something I don't think will be easily discernible for younger readers). I do think Roth shows a lot of promise as an author and I'm very interested to read books she publishes in the future.
Briana Fitzpatrick
Currently Reading: Seven Years to Sin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briana-fitzpatrick.html

Post by Briana Fitzpatrick »

I had someone spoil the ending for me when I was halfway through reading, so it kind of changed my perspective of the book as I continued reading. For a while I was in denial about what Roth did, but then when I finished the book I realized it was exactly what was needed to be done for the story's sake. Roth completely avoided the cookie cutter happy ending that so greatly characterizes the Twilight or Hunger Games rage. I honestly think that if she had ended the book differently, perhaps with more gumdrops and butterflies, I would have been bored. The ending kept me on my toes... Even after finishing the book.
reader1580

Post by reader1580 »

I cried so hard... I mean I knew it was gonna happen... but still... (sobs)

-- 25 May 2015, 16:27 --
Gemma Nicholls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-nicholls.html

Post by Gemma Nicholls »

Allegiant was not my favourite book of the series, however I am compelled to say that the drama and suspense did keep me hooked throughout the long novel. I think that this book wraps up the trilogy nicely, giving the reader answers that were much overdue from the last two books.

The ending is far from a happy ending, however I think it links nicely into the theme of the story and it gives a powerful message to the reader about fighting to the death for what you believe in.
gyaniwasp
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gyaniwasp »

All I have to say that Veronica Roth is the most cruel writers on the surface of the earth. I ended up actually writing fanfictions to console myself!
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I must agree with everyone on this post. This would probably be one of my favorite series except for the fact of how it ended. My mom found me literally crying in my room when I finished the book and once my friend finished the book a month later she called me and we ended up raging over the phone with each other. It is a beautifully written series, but I must say she did her job well since she was able to make a character that felt so real it pulled all these emotions from us.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I really did not enjoy this book. I absolutely loved and devoured Divergent, so I was excited to read the next two books in the series. It took me quite a while to get through Insurgent, as the plot was so much different than the original story. After finishing Insurgent without much enthusiasm, I was not looking forward to finishing the series. Something, though, compelled me to finish it out though. I've always been pretty stubborn, and I do not like to quit anything. So I decided that I would give Allegiant a chance. I immediately regretted it. I could barely get through the book. I wish I would have stopped after the first one!
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

I really don't know what to think about Allegiant. I was really excited to read it after I watched the movie Insurgent but now I am not so sure. I read all these bad reviews about the book on Amazon so now even though I want to see how the series ends....I just don't know! I couldn't wait to finding out what the world outside the wall was like but some of the reviews said that they wish they hadn't read the book. So can you guys give me some advice? Should I read it or should I not?
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”