Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Allegiant - Potential SPOILERS

Post by Dani226 »

I am not going to post any spoilers, but wanted to warn people just in case something came up in another post. Has anyone read it yet? I just finished and I think my heart is still aching :cry: . Although it wasn't exaclty what I was expecting, I did think it was an amazing ending to an overall amazing story. Sometimes, when things are wrapped up in a neat little bow, it can make the story seem less important somehow. I think there were important lessons to be learned about bravery, sacrifice, and love, and I think Veronica Roth did a brilliant job!
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

Amazing! I hated ending this book and the emotional ending takes you on such a roller coaster of feelings. There was a time or two where I once again feared a possible YA "love triangle" crap, but that was quickly resolved. The whole world is open, nothing is what anyone ever thought it would be. Who really
is the bad guy? Are they all bad guys? How can the world really be fixed and what will happen to everyone after so many revolutions, rebellions and changes in everything they thought they knew. Amazing end to a wonderful series. I applaud you, Veronica Roth. Thank you so much for such a refreshing YA dystopian
trilogy. I absolutely love it, even if I cried a time or two in this one! I know people were not happy with the writing style, but I feel it went with the trilogy. At the beginning of the first book, Tris was a kid, and at the ending of this one, she was an adult. The changes in the characters, because of all that they went through, is immense and shown in the way this book is written. I am a huge reader, and this is one of hundreds of thousands of books I have read. I loved this book. I was not thrilled with the ending, it was upsetting, but I really liked her tone, the set-up and finality of it all.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

I completely agree! Reviewers are really killing Roth on Amazon...people are really, REALLY upset with how she ended the story. However, I think a lot of the jabs at the writing style/storyline are people who are really just upset about the ending. I felt she drove home a lot of important lessons about discrimination and courage. Some reviewers have called the most upsetting part of the ending "useless", but I think it served a very important purpose.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I loved the series. But I was so upset with the ending. And how it was handled by the other characters. Ugh.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

I agree with Dani226 in that the death of that certain character (who I will not name) at the end most certainly served a purpose. I was getting increasingly irritated with several of the characters, and the ending death scene was a redemption, in my mind. I was like, "FINALLY, _______ did something worthwhile and selfless and meaningful." Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but, like I said, I was getting rather fed up.

I also thought that the surviving characters handled it well. I mean, Tobias kept being kind of sulky, but Christian's reaction was what made me love her more than anybody in the book. Shayna, I'm curious why you thought the ending has handled badly by the characters. It's also possible I'm forgetting some details since it's been a while since I finished the book.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I liked the series but it will never be one of my favorites. I was never a fan of Tris! I was more interested in Tobias and the idea of the factions than I ever was in her. All of the books were easy to read page turners but I don't know, I was just never fully invested. I wanted to see how it would turn out and I, like a lot, of people found the third book disappointing. I think I would have hated it if Tobias hadn't been given a voice. Roth is a good writer but I think she really wanted to do a dystopian novel with an interesting spin and it backfired.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
jrankin0607

Post by jrankin0607 »

I read the Divergent and Insurgent over a year ago so when Allegiant finally came out i was so excited then i was finished with the book i was in sooooo much shock mostly because i was so invested in the main characters especially Tris and tobias/four that when tris didn't pop back up idk i didnt expect it!! even when later when it was tobias pov i was waiting n waiting and it never came! I hate complaining that the main character was axed and wasnt saved but i cant help it i felt so connected to them thinking after everything they went thru they deserved to be together. I feel like Veronica Roth went out of the box and i love her style and creativity but it still sucked knowing i have this ache like there should be another book giving tobias more time to have more of a voice if she was taking that route for the ending. Honestly can't wait for more of her stuff, im a big veronica roth fan.
ashewilcox

Post by ashewilcox »

I may be in the minority but I hated this book. It was slow for me and the introduction of the whole other world outside the fence seemed very under developed to me. I was also left very confused over the difference in the citizens that the scientists are trying to "cure" for me it ruined the series for me.
Jolie
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: All of them
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolie.html
fav_author_id: 3668

Post by Jolie »

I truly hated Allegiant >_< It help explain Divergent, however some things were nonsense. As in what did she meant by "pure" or "not pure"? Basically Divergent were human being labrats for someones elses experiment with genetics. Half of the book was quite boring. Who care about the "family tree" im like are you kidding me. Yes, Tobias was always trying to find his identity but the tree was unnecessary perhaps it could of went better with book "Four" (also by roth). Tobias parents could of died but no -.- eventually Tris Dies!!!!! That is the only thing i like (not the part were Tris dies) if not Roth gives us the unexpected. I like those kind of authors c: We readers are always making our hypothesis i must admit my hypothesis was wrong this time I thought Tobias and Tris would live happily ever after but no. Oh well.

P.S. Four by Roth is quite interesting to be inside Four
"War is what happens when language fails" ~Margaret Atwood
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I think the reason I don't dislike Allegiant as much as other people is that I'm not devoted to the idea of a happily ever after. I'm perfectly fine with important characters dying as long as it feels right. While I would have written Tris's death slightly differently, I'm just fine with her dying, because it felt right to me, from a narrative point of view.

I think my main complaint with the book was that I would have written it different. I would have found a different way to set up the plot, or a different plot altogether. The pure/not pure thing did strike me as odd, but I think it could have played out well. While it wasn't my favorite book of the series, I don't think it deserves quite as much hate as it's been getting.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
thelitchick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelitchick.html

Post by thelitchick »

The book was definitely a surprise. I was admittedly distraught because these were the only characters in a long time that I felt a genuine connection to. I'm pretty sure Roth mentioned that the ending had been planned for a long time, so I have an immense amount of respect for her not changing her mind because of her dedicated fanbase. That could explain why the book dragged so often; she only really thought of the major ending and had trouble filling in the rest of the book.
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

I didn't like Allegiant. I especially hated the ending but then I am kind of a sucker for happy endings. I think that when you invest yourself in the characters so much you truly want to see them together in the end, but Tris death wasn't really unexpected I just didn't want it to happen. The story for me moved a lot slower than her previous books and I agree with the comments that the life outside the fence was really under developed. Nevertheless Veronica Roth is a great writer and I'm looking forward to reading more of her.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Hate, hate, hate the ending of Allegiant. After everything, all the emotional roller coasters and fights, it all culminates in a horrible ending. I followed Tris and Tobias throughout all the books and I felt so short changed at the end. I was pretty much like 'WTH...Are you kidding me? Did this seriously happen?'. They were so close to the end and to their happy ending and then something like that happens. Tris has gone through so much that no other human could ever do and at the end, it takes something like that to show that she truly is...mortal. It broke my heart.

Buuuut aside from that, the concept was amazing. I mean, separated into different factions based on mindset? Awesome!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I didn't mind the ending of the book, although I had spent days reading all the books in the series and was hugely attached to the characters, When I read the ending I cried. I personally thought Tobias' tribute to Tris was sweet. Given his fear, he faced that fear head on for Tris by doing what she loved.
I will say that it was hard to for me to get into Allegiant at first, but once I got past the way it switched back and forth between characters, I loved it.
klnadams
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klnadams.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by klnadams »

I didn't like the ending because I wanted the perfect ending. However, knowing the character it didn't surprise me. Tears fell as I read... However, I applaud the author for not giving us what we wanted but what needed to happen...

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”