Official Review: Emily Creek: Power of the Week

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Emily Creek: Power of the Week

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emily Creek: Power of the Week" by Joshua Wimbush.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if your therapy for clinical depression involved getting a different superpower each week? That’s exactly the question Emily lives the answer to in Emily Creek: Power of the Week by Joshua Wimbush.

Hospitalized after trying to commit suicide at school, Emily Creek can’t run from her problems anymore. She believes she’s clinically depressed. When her school mandates therapy, Emily is upset at first, but that changes when she meets Dr. Tim, whose approach to therapy is a little different. Every week, Emily will randomly select a different superpower. Cool, right?

Maybe. Emily quickly finds out that having power comes with tough choices. Will she make the right ones? What events will unfold as a result? Even more, who is Dr. Tim, and what is this whole superpowers-as-therapy program, anyway?

I really enjoyed this unique take on superpowers. Don’t get me wrong. Superheroes battling supervillains to save the world from certain destruction? I’m all over that. This book, though, offered an entirely different perspective. The world isn’t in danger, and there are no villains. It’s just Emily, her powers, and the choices she’s faced with. This was such a refreshing and interesting way to push the notion that all choices have consequences. When superpowers are involved, those consequences don’t necessarily have to be super.

I also loved the big-picture issues this book touched on. Mental illness is the most obvious. At the end of each power’s cycle, Emily meets with Dr. Tim, and they discuss how the power made Emily feel. Every time, Emily unearths a contributing factor to her depression and realizes that factor doesn’t control her. For example, Emily’s first power is invisibility. At the end of it, Emily realizes that people do see her and that she’s not hopelessly alone. Emily’s growth throughout this story was brilliant, and for those struggling with depression, this book could be an inspirational look at a new way to approach things.

While she’s dealing with superpowers, Emily also has regular teen issues to contend with. Her family is struggling financially. She missed assignments from her time in the hospital, and not all is well in her social circle. Kenya, Emily’s best friend, goes through her own emotional roller coaster in this book—a cheating boyfriend and her own family issues. I felt the bond of friendship between Emily and Kenya from beginning to end. Kenya and many of the other secondary characters were realistic, which added to the story’s depth.

Speaking of depth, the ending snuck up on me and hit me over the head with a hypothetical sledgehammer. I didn’t see it coming, but once I got there, all the pieces fell into place. My jaw was literally hanging open at a few points. This book ended up being so much more than I thought it would in a good way.

Rating this book was tough. Despite all its great points, there were grammar mistakes throughout, and the dialogue tripped me up in a lot of places. Sometimes, the teens didn’t quite sound like teens. At one point, Emily uses the word “insidious” to describe her depression. This struck me as odd, and it wasn’t the only instance of strange word choice. I floundered between 2 and 3 stars until I got to the mind-blowing ending. At that point, I decided to rate Emily Creek: Power of the Week 3 out of 4 stars, despite the dialogue and errors.

I recommend this book to anyone struggling with mental illness. The superpowers angle really puts a different spin on therapy. Fans of superheroes or real-life stories about teenagers dealing with teen problems would also enjoy this book. Those sensitive to suicide or cheating may wish to skip this one, and that mind-blowing ending might not be suitable for anyone who can’t stomach needless violence. All this aside, I really think this is a book for everyone. It had a big impact on me, and I encourage you to give it a try.

Emily Creek: Power of the Week
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I almost envied Emily for having super powers every week until you say, "When superpowers are involved, those consequences don’t necessarily have to be super." Thanks for an informative review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This type of therapy is interesting and unique. I really want to read this after reading your description of the ending! Great writing!
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I am not sure a person with mental illness should be led by her doctor to dabble with superpowers. It sounds like a decent book though. Thank you for the great review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Wow! I wish the execution had been a little bit better because I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the premise! So many teens are dealing with significant mental health issues and it's cool to get to see someone dealing with it in a story that has a creative/imaginative twist. Thanks for the thorough and honest review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I can't wait to have this book to read its mind boggling and jaw dropping ending. I also like the advocacy of this book, mental illness. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

My excitement consistently grew as I read through your great review. I can't wait to read this book, and I already have someone in mind to recommend it to!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely think I could get past the grammar errors on this one. I love the unique take on superpowers as well as mental health. I'm so interested in the ending you talk about. I have to read this!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
OzavizeB_247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by OzavizeB_247 »

Wow! Its good that the book touches on a very big, sensitive issue such as mental illness. This is something that has become a common place in our society now. A lot of people walking around battling with metal issues and depression.

This was such a great review, I'm all for the super powers whilst getting therapy, imagine that's a real thing though....! 🤔🤔
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds amazing! I like how superpowers are woven until her weekly therapy sessions. I think a teen going through depression could really relate to this book.

Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”