Official Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raven Dock" by Sara Caldwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Harper is in her senior year of high school. She's moved around a lot, so she doesn't really feel like she fits in well anywhere. Except, in this latest move, she found a kindred spirit named Olive. It seems like her family is getting ready to move again, but Harper is determined to spend her senior year with Olive. In the blink of an eye, everything changes when Harper's entire family dies at the hands of a hit-and-run driver.

Now completely alone in the world, Harper crashes at Olive's house while she tries to figure everything out. Suddenly, she is contacted by an aunt she didn't know she had. Aunt Mary wants her to spend some time at her retreat, Raven Dock. Harper begrudgingly agrees, but nothing is as it seems. Who is her Aunt Mary? Why did her father keep her a secret?

Raven Dock is a young adult novel written by Sara Caldwell. At just under 150 pages, it's a quick read with a plot that moves swiftly. The suspense continues to build, and the ending might not be exactly what you expect. There are a few more gruesome descriptions, but for the most part, the book is suitable for younger teenagers and up.

I think what I most appreciated about the book was its uniqueness. There are supernatural elements; however, it was far from the typical vampire/werewolf/witch story. It was refreshing to read a story in this genre that didn't remind me of another popular book the entire time.

We do get quite a bit of background on Harper as far as family history. However, it comes in bits and pieces, which doesn't overwhelm the reader. There is enough action and mystery interspersed with the more sedate details to keep any reader interested. Perhaps some of the secondary characters aren't quite as well-rounded as some would like. Still, this book is more about Harper's discovery. Since it's a book one, I have a feeling more of the other characters will be explored in the future.

Speaking of the first book, I was also appreciated that most of the plot in this book was wrapped up. There was enough mystery and intrigue to make me want to read the next book in the series; but, at the same time, I'm not sure I would call this a cliffhanger. To me, it says something about the author when they can make you want to read the next book in the series without leaving everything open-ended.

I would give Raven Dock 4 out of 4 stars. The writing style was appropriate for the genre, and I really enjoyed the building of suspense. Though some of the characters weren't as developed as others, it wasn't anything that I felt warranted removing a star. I would recommend this to those that enjoy a good, young adult novel full of magic and suspense. For those that are looking for a more complex story and style of writing, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Raven Dock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book comes at you with the family tragedy - and then throws the reader into the mystery of Harper's aunt. Looks like a good read! Thanks for your interesting review.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

"There was enough mystery and intrigue to make me want to read the next book in the series." It's good when a first book in a series it's interesting enough to leave one with a desire to read the next book. Thanks for a great review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a suspenseful plot I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I really admire authors who are able to write a compelling story in so small a space (150 pages), and who are able to wrap things up while still leaving you wanting more. The plot sounds really intriguing. Thanks for this review, you've piqued my interest!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This seems like an interesting read. The cover page is also intriguing. I love paranormal, actions, adventures and mysteries so I think I will thoroughly enjoy this book. Thanks for an insightful review!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I love young adult fiction. They really know how to pull you into another world. Thank you for your review!!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 10:19 This book comes at you with the family tragedy - and then throws the reader into the mystery of Harper's aunt. Looks like a good read! Thanks for your interesting review.
Yes. That's it exactly. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was quite fun to read.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rose Harebate wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 10:35 "There was enough mystery and intrigue to make me want to read the next book in the series." It's good when a first book in a series it's interesting enough to leave one with a desire to read the next book. Thanks for a great review.
I always appreciate it when the author makes you want to read on for some reason other than a cliffhanger. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 12:41 This sounds like a suspenseful plot I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks! It was a fun read.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 15:57 I really admire authors who are able to write a compelling story in so small a space (150 pages), and who are able to wrap things up while still leaving you wanting more. The plot sounds really intriguing. Thanks for this review, you've piqued my interest!
Yes. It really didn't feel like anything was missing from the story, either.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 22:07 This seems like an interesting read. The cover page is also intriguing. I love paranormal, actions, adventures and mysteries so I think I will thoroughly enjoy this book. Thanks for an insightful review!
I hope you read and enjoy. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 07:13 I love young adult fiction. They really know how to pull you into another world. Thank you for your review!!
Young adult fiction is one of my favorites, too. This is a good one for sure. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Young adult novel under 150 pages!! Certainly my kinda book. Sad to hear that some secondary characters weren't round. Round characters are the thing i like most in a book. But i think u can still give it a try.
Thanks a lot for the review Kandscreeley☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Zimall wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 08:38 Young adult novel under 150 pages!! Certainly my kinda book. Sad to hear that some secondary characters weren't round. Round characters are the thing i like most in a book. But i think u can still give it a try.
Thanks a lot for the review Kandscreeley☺
I think that those characters will be developed more in future novels. There's only so much you can fit into a book like this. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”