House of night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
skgolden
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skgolden.html

Re: House of night

Post by skgolden »

OMG!!! I cannot believe I found my HON people!!! I have read these books twice thru! And no one has ever heard of HON!!!!!! I was so disappointed and anyone I recommended it to never got around to reading it (even after I let them borrow the books! :x )
woodsja

Post by woodsja »

I loved that it was set locally to me. I love just driving by places from the book and thinking what if? It also uses urban legends well. I was surprised with all the twists, how many can their be before you can't keep track?
Breeana605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breeana605.html

Post by Breeana605 »

HON was very interesting in the beginning and I really enjoyed how the storyline thickened. What I saw soon after maybe the fourth book, the story became about killing the villain, which is completely fine with me, and despite having so many opportunities to kill her, they never did it. What I did like about this series was how well the authors developed each character no matter how small they were. This really helped when I started to lose interest in the plot line. The characters are so alive in the books.
Mori
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mori.html

Post by Mori »

I'm so glad there are many others who have read this series! Sad to say, though, with as many books as there are, i got really lost and kind of bored. I am able to make it through many different kinds of books and large series books, but it felt like the writer ran out ideas with where to take the plot sometimes. And there were really immature, sleeping around moments that also felt more like fillers then character building moments.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

Mori wrote:I'm so glad there are many others who have read this series! Sad to say, though, with as many books as there are, i got really lost and kind of bored. I am able to make it through many different kinds of books and large series books, but it felt like the writer ran out ideas with where to take the plot sometimes. And there were really immature, sleeping around moments that also felt more like fillers then character building moments.
I totally agree. I made it through the series with the hope that they would discover the greatness of the first 5 books but instead we just had a series of make ups and break up that weren't all that important or necessary. I still love Zoey and the gang but was disappointed in the later novels.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

i like the HON series. But alas i have not read them all. i think i stopped reading after like the 7th one. I get that it is YA book but wow was it getting way into teeny bopper stage for me. Maybe i will go back and read them one day but i just don't have that itch like i do with other books... You know the one where you MUST go get the the next book or you may just die! lol
ReadingInfinity
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginfinity.html

Post by ReadingInfinity »

I absolutely loved the HON series. I have all of the books and I've read them again at least 4 times since completing the series. I was so disappointed when it ended.. I wish there was another one to give me closure. I wasn't ready to say goodbye! The series is also very realistic in my opinion, not the vamp part, in the way that Zoey is like many teens often feel. No series has been as relate able as this series was to me.
kristylc
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristylc.html

Post by kristylc »

It's been a long time since I've read a House of Night book, but I think I only made it to book 8 or 9 in the series before I gave up on it. I usually get pretty attached to characters and story lines, and I don't typically like to give up on a series (especially when I was already 8 books in!). But House of Night really sped downhill fast. The entire thing read like an adult's attempt at pretending to be a high schooler, and the plots were just getting boring and repetitive after so many books.

I look back at my younger self who stayed up late just to read those books, and all I can think is that there were so many better books I could've been reading. It feels like wasted time. The story hasn't stuck with me years after reading it, and the only positive thing I remember about the series is having fun discussing it with my friends.
BrightSideKC
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brightsidekc.html

Post by BrightSideKC »

To be honest, I felt that this series dragged on so much longer than necessary. It was nothing against the authors themselves, just that there was too much going on and too much time in between each novel to remember half of the important things that happened. I'm not even sure if this series is still going, or if all the books are out. Maybe if I were able to have a copy of the whole series and reread it again, I would be more than happy to look into it again.
Bluebird208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird208.html

Post by Bluebird208 »

HON is an amazing series, you can easily fall in love with the characters, but it did carry on a little to far after the 9th book or so. I will say that the author really knows when to throw a good plot twist but it ultimately carried on way to long, at least in my opinion.
callmejkay

Post by callmejkay »

To be honest, I love to hate HoN. I can get so sucked into the characters lives and the situations they are in. My biggest problem is the writing style. The tense changes from person to person and the language of the characters is nowhere near realistic. I live in the same city the book is set in and trust me, no true Okie talks like Stevie Rae. Also, Kramisha is made out to be an uneducated hoodlum (her stereotype). Her character is much more complex and gifted with the ability to use words in a remarkable way. So why can't she correctly use "are" and "is" in a daily conversation. Bad move, Casts. I'm just overall disappointed in this series but I never give up in the middle of one, so I will continue to read them.
KacieLW
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kacielw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by KacieLW »

I loved the first couple books in this series and I think that I read at least five of the books. I lost interest at some point, though I don't remember exactly why. But I read these books post Twilight which was exactly what I needed at the time and I really enjoyed myself reading them.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
ameno8907
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameno8907.html

Post by ameno8907 »

I followed this series almost religiously in the beginning. I think for a while the books are amazing. Its new refreshing, twist on vampires drew me in instantly and brought in all my favorite aspects of these kinds of books. Then after a while things got incredibly complicated and each book went from covering a semester-a years worth of events to a couple days or so and I started to get bored and lost. I wish the Casts had continued to focus primarily on the main character Zoey, instead of going off track like they did.
Reba911
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 822
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reba911.html

Post by Reba911 »

I really enjoyed the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast. I am a big fan of the craft and religious aspects associated with it. I had started reading this series when I was in middle school. For a while I had lost interest, but a few years ago I ended up buying all the books in the series and reading all of them. While I really love the story and think it is very creative, I do feel there was a large section of it I didn't particularly care for. In the house of night, Zoey keeps having guys crushing on her left and right. She always seemed to have at least two guys on her and suffered from the "why me" syndrome a lot of main characters face. I understand that they threw this and the love triangle thing in there because they wanted the books to be more exciting or more interesting, however, I felt that they were a little unnecessary given that there were many other more interesting things to grasp the readers attention. For example, I adore Stevie Rae. She was my favorite character and once we see what she becomes, I love her even more because it really brings out what kind of a person she truly is. She is very strong willed and loyal. When Neferet ends up trying to use Stevie Rae against her friends after she dies, she rises up with such a will power that she ends up forming her own race of vampyre. I feel that the detail and thought they put into Stevie Rae's character could make a series in itself. I would strongly recommend this read to anyone who can tough it out through the cliche love triangles and self-conscious teenagers because beyond that is a very good, well thought out story.
Always0998

Post by Always0998 »

The house of the night is one of my favorite sagas. At the beginning of the first book, more specific in the first three chapters, the plot is a bit slow since the authors give you a presentation of the main character Zoey Montgomery. They tell you about their life before being marked.
When she arrives at the house of the night the story begins to be so addictive that when you want to realize you're going to be at the end of the book and you would like to start reading the next one. The saga consists in 12 books where we follow the adventures of our dear Zoey and her friends. And belive me once you enter in the universe of the House at Night you're not going to want to go. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”