Official Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Official Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Vickie Noel »

This sounds like an interesting tale that can teach lessons both literally and figuratively using the teenagers' many hurdles and experiences. I like that the thrill didn't let up till the end but I'll have to confirm that fact for myself first. Meanwhile, what's with those eyes on the cover? They don't seem to blend in well with the rest of the picture. Oh well. Thanks for the enthusiastic review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Four teens get stranded in the wilderness after a white water rafting adventure delivers more than it promised. The teens must overcome their fear, inexperience and work together to find a way to safety.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I have always loved nature. I like that this book offers both adventure and nature to its audience. I'm looking forward to reading it. Congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

The one thing that I've found in every story, real or imagined, is how hardships have moulded the people to become what they've become. The characters get the experiences that build their persons. Good review.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Well, I don't think this suits my taste. Bullying and too much adult stuff are not really my thing. Still, I'm pretty sure this will be loved by many But thanks for the review!
Ub43I59
Favorite Book: For the Love of God
Currently Reading: The Judge
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Ub43I59 »

Stranded in the Wild by Gary Rodriguez: "The scariest tale of all is the one about the flesh-eating beast known as Vexel." Four teens after a white-water rafting accident at an adventure camp bond together through life or death situations as the plot unfolds. Boastful Conner is soon to meet the fearsome creature; "will he live to carve it up for his next meal?" Detailed review of a thrilling adventure story. Congrats on BOTD
Samhawaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Samhawaii »

When i started reading the sample, I was insistently captured by the story and how it started with an adventurous water sport happening, to smoothly moving the spotlight to Jade and Savi and how the relation is developing between the two.
I liked it. It was interesting and well written.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Stranded in the Wild by Gary Rodriguez is so promising! Again, with no superpowers, the leads are facing real-life tough situations. This is the kind of adventure story I prefer, a real test for humans, young ones at the cusp of self-discovery at that. I like revelatory events for individuals, moments of truths that change how people view life and themselves in particular. It's pretty scary to get lost in the wilds, trying to fend off predators. It's scarier to be put to a test and then realize something about yourself that you did not expect to be there.
Last edited by Shas F on 14 Apr 2019, 04:17, edited 2 times in total.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

I really enjoyed reading about this book. This review really makes it an interesting read. What I like the most about it is that the characters are well developed and their backgrounds as well, I'll add this one to my list of books to read during the year. Design-wise, the cover is not really appealing to me. If I were to judge by the cover, I wouldn't have picked this book. I'd chosen some kind of vector illustration or something similar.

I really enjoyed this review, thank you!
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I was impressed by the amount of inner strength and fortitude the author bestowed upon them, or maybe I should say that he helped them find those qualities that were already there. They struggled with each other, the wilderness that seemed to want to destroy them, and most importantly they struggled with their perceived personal weaknesses. They learned of forgiveness (giving and receiving), self-reflection, teamwork, and how to work through fear to find the courage they needed to face the seemingly impossible situations they were facing.
Sometimes danger can galvanise antagonists into a fighting force, united by one purpose, to survive. I like the way the reviewer has presented such a scenario in the summary of the book. The characters had to learn to forgive each other, otherwise they would perish. The book is for youngsters but I think it is a good read even for older adults.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book. Fast paced with plenty of drama with personalities clashing. I like that "They learned of forgiveness (giving and receiving), self-reflection, teamwork, and how to work through fear to find the courage they needed to face the seemingly impossible situations they were facing. " These are very important lessons to learn. Congratulations on BOTD.
anuli444
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anuli444 »

It is a raft,not a canoe,that was just a mistake .I loved white water rafting as a kid and the sample of this sounds great! Thanks for the latest review.
Barchue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Barchue »

Thanks for the review Tiny, They struggled with each other, the wilderness that seemed to want to destroy them, and most importantly they struggled with their perceived personal weaknesses. and they learned forgiveness (giving and receiving), self-reflection, teamwork, that's wonderful.
RachelMaree85
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelmaree85.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by RachelMaree85 »

I just read and reviewed this book.

I agree it is far-fetched! I also found that the way they spoke, as in the teens conversations, didn't sound realistic. I found I had to stop myself from skimming through the spoken parts as it annoyed me a little.

Other then that, it was a fast-paced and easy to read book!
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

I liked your review. I agree with you that this would make a good movie. The movie might actually turn out better than the book! I could see some big name teen actors playing in the movie. I also enjoyed the book. I didn't give 4 stars because I felt like some of the writing was too obvious. But, I suppose it is a young adult book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”