Official Review: Survivor by Samantha K. Duke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Survivor by Samantha K. Duke

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Survivor" by Samantha K. Duke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving is a common theme in many genres, be it the show of the same name on CBS or the song, 'I Will Survive', by Gloria Gaynor. And so it is that we have a group of teenagers trying to survive in the book, Survivor, by author Samantha K. Duke. In this tome, a group of friends are trying to survive a serial killer that is offing baseball players at Sanford E. Dutton High. New student Max Wilson is accused of the crime, but Amanda Chase is sure that he's innocent. Can she prove to her friends that her newfound crush is innocent? IS he innocent? What secret is he hiding, then?

Sophomores Amanda (Amy), Kit, Lindsey, Hallie, Shannon, Ricky, Jack, and A.J. are content in their little group, though they wish that they weren't being picked on by other kids in school. Then, on the very day that handsome Max transfers to their school, baseball players turn up dead, and Max is suspected. Amy, on the other hand, has formed a major crush on the teen, so she rushes to his defense, even against her longtime friends. What they come to find is both scary and troubling, but they're determined to show that Max is innocent. Yet, Max is also keeping a secret, a secret that could be a danger to them all.

What I really liked about this group of friends is that they all have their own little characteristics that make them stand out. Kit, for instance, is obsessed with becoming a famous filmmaker, so she's always in her friends' faces, trying to shoot them. Lindsey is exceptionally tall, while Ricky is short for a guy. I applaud the author for drawing such realistic characters without stooping to stereotypes. Still, I didn't really care for any of them, though I didn't wish to see them dead. I found myself annoyed with them a little too often to fully bond with any of them. I also think the author did a good job illustrating the culprits; rather than being cookie-cutter characters, they had their own minor backstories and motives, even if I didn't agree with their reasons.

With that being said, I found Survivor to be a fun read with just enough suspense and action. Max's history was also written in such a way that it just flowed without being intrusive. A major part of the story involves supernatural elements, and that was my favorite part since I'm a big fan of the supernatural. I felt myself getting minor chills here and there, which increased my enjoyment substantially. The resolution was also well-written, and it didn't feel rushed like it sometimes does in YA novels. The build-up to the finale was great as well, so the pacing all the way through the book was spot-on. I'll also note that there's a second book in the series, and I do plan to read it, so clearly I was quite impressed with this one.

As great as this tome was, I do have to take away points for the lack of editing; in fact, I don't even think it was proofread in a minor way. The book was full of punctuation errors, capitalized words that should have been lower-case and vice-versa, and incorrect word usage ("incorporative" in place of "uncooperative", for instance). There was also a formatting issue early in the book, where a sentence dropped to the next line midway through. In addition, I noted a few sentence fragments that were not stylistic and an occasional failure to change paragraphs when changing speakers. Finally, I found one inconsistency that had me scratching my head for several pages, saying, "But...but...but..."

Due to the inordinate amount of grammatical errors found in this novel, I have to give Survivor 3 out of 4 stars. I don't think my inability to bond with the characters warrants a further drop, especially since I was able to enjoy the story just the same. Despite the many typographical mishaps, I recommend this book to older teens and other fans of YA stories, especially those with a supernatural slant. I also think fans of low-boiler crime mysteries would like it. The violence is not graphic, but foul language is included throughout, so those are also things to consider before grabbing a copy.

Survivor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

For some reason I find myself comparing this to I Know What You Did Last Summer. I can't help but always think that serial killer stories that involve high school students are going to be more goofy than suspenseful. I'd say a lot of that has to do with how the characters are written, so that is an important point you made about how the characters aren't written to mold to stereotypes.

I'm curious as to how awful this inconsistency you mention is. I'm getting the impression it is in regards to an important aspect of the book.

Interesting book, nice review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like when the characters in a book ate very relatable. Makes the book more to read, and engaging. Looks like an interesting book overall. Great review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kfwilson6 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 18:31 For some reason I find myself comparing this to I Know What You Did Last Summer. I can't help but always think that serial killer stories that involve high school students are going to be more goofy than suspenseful. I'd say a lot of that has to do with how the characters are written, so that is an important point you made about how the characters aren't written to mold to stereotypes.

I'm curious as to how awful this inconsistency you mention is. I'm getting the impression it is in regards to an important aspect of the book.

Interesting book, nice review.

I've never seen I Know What You Did Last Summer, though I'm pretty sure I've heard of it. Isn't Neve Campbell in it, and aren't there 2 or 3 sequels?

As for the inconsistency, it really wasn't egregious and it doesn't affect the whole book, but it kept the students in a bind that they could have gotten out of in that particular section. I think the author just wanted to prolong the suspense.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This just seems too much like a modern horror movie. The characters always do the wrong thing at the wrong time. I just don't think it's one I would enjoy. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I love it. I'm excited to read this book. Wonderful intro. The summary sounds like fun. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What I really liked about this group of friends is that they all have their own little characteristics that make them stand out. Kit, for instance, is obsessed with becoming a famous filmmaker, so she's always in her friends' faces, trying to shoot them. Lindsey is exceptionally tall, while Ricky is short for a guy. I applaud the author for drawing such realistic characters without stooping to stereotypes. Still, I didn't really care for any of them, though I didn't wish to see them dead. I found myself annoyed with them a little too often to fully bond with any of them. I also think the author did a good job illustrating the culprits; rather than being cookie-cutter characters, they had their own minor backstories and motives, even if I didn't agree with their reasons.
This reminds me a little about those 90s slasher movies, full of teenagers and, honestly, I do want to read it.
I think you made a great assessment of the characters but I do wonder, is there a special reason why you couldn't bond with them? Lack of character development, perhaps?
A very analytical and honest review, as always. Thank you!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

This kind of reminds me of the 90s horror movies with a group of friends working to find out who is responsible for the killings that are happening.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Lunastella wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 19:57
This reminds me a little about those 90s slasher movies, full of teenagers and, honestly, I do want to read it.
I think you made a great assessment of the characters but I do wonder, is there a special reason why you couldn't bond with them? Lack of character development, perhaps?
A very analytical and honest review, as always. Thank you!
I also thought of the 90s slasher movies when reading the review.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I applaud the author for drawing such realistic characters without stooping to stereotypes.
This may not be the genre for me, but you're spot on with that point about reality. All of us are so flawed that, if we would be focusing on finding flaws, we'd surely find one. That makes us humans after all, but it's not enough reason for one to scoff at another. Thank you for your interesting and honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Grammatical errors are big turn-off while reading a book. I agree with your point. The suspense and fun factor in the book is creating an interest to read the book. Good review.
---

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”