Official Review: The Witch of Endor: Vampires by RK Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Official Review: The Witch of Endor: Vampires by RK Wheeler

Post by Nanig83006 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch of Endor: Vampires" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Witch of Endor: Vampires, written by R.K. Wheeler, is a dark and exotic adventure. The story weaves Greek mythological and Biblical characters together seamlessly. Despite the characters' supernatural status, the amorous tale makes the reader contemplate their capability of love, pain, and susceptibility.

Lilith, born with the ability to speak to the dead, matures to master this ability and become well known for her craft. In the city of Endor, King Saul requests Lilith to raise the spirit of Samuel, the prophet, and inform him of the results of his impending battle with a Philistine army. The information is not in King Saul’s favor and, although the king promised Lilith’s safety, she does not trust him and flees. Going into hiding, Lilith opens a magic shop where she eventually meets Lamech.

Lamech, interested in Lilith's abilities, approaches her in her shop. Lamech, the great-great-great-grandson of Cain, is the world’s first vampire, having turned after unknowingly murdering the cursed Cain. Lamech and Lilith become enamored with one another, and it is progressively arduous for him to keep his true nature from her. Their love finds Lilith in Greece, facing incomparable misfortunes. Every passing occurrence pressures her to make choices that will alter her life and question her desire to go on.

I received this as an audiobook and it was quite the experience. I enjoyed the way the author took a risk and melded these unmistakable names together. As a fan of Greek mythology, I loved hearing familiar characters in The Witch of Endor: Vampires. I am not too familiar with all the Biblical names, but it’s clear quite a few characters from Greek mythology and the Bible make an appearance. Wheeler takes creative liberties and gives these characters very different lives compared to the widely known or believed tales.

Fans of romance and fantasy will like this young adult novel, but those who are strict with history or have strong Christian beliefs may find problems with it. The only issue I had was the use of a male narrator chronicling Lilith’s life. Other than that, the narration was clear and descriptive. The back story of each protagonist is impressive. The persisting aftermath of the curse of Cain is a major theme. Wheeler provides evil an origin, one character at a time, while wrapping the story in a blanket of romance. 

I give Wheeler's book 3 out of 4 stars. I was hesitant to give The Witch of Endor: Vampires a try as it has been quite some time since I listened to an audiobook. Luckily, it was a great experience and a quick read, being just a little over five hours. As I said before, it was strange to listen to a male narrator tell the story of Lilith’s life. When he spoke for her, I kept imagining her as an elderly woman and constantly reminded myself she was not. This entirely my opinion. The next listener may have no problem with the narrator. Also, I expected to learn more of one of the main characters, but he disappears from the story and isn't reintroduced. Seeing as this is the first in a series, I expect he'll return then. Regardless, the story kept me engaged until the end, which I’m sure will be the same for other readers, and I look forward to the next installment.

The Witch of Endor: Vampires
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nanig83006's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I'm not a fan of vampire stories, I enjoyed your review. It's interesting to know that you reviewed this by audiobook. I haven't seen that option before.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I must try the audio version of a book one day, though I don't believe I would be so patient with it. I am no longer a fan of vampire stories but I thank you for your insightful review of this book.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I like Greek mythology so this definitely sounds like a good read. However, I don't usually do audio books, but it would be an interesting experience. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Audio books are hard for me, if I don't like the narrator or if I don't their voice fits with the story it is hard to keep interested. It sounds like that might be the case with this one and for that reason I'm going to pass. Thank You.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

An interesting thing to intertwine: vampires, witches, and people from the Bible. I am not quite sure how this would work out but I'd have to read it to see I guess! Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

A witch and a vampire in love!? Interesting. I'm adding this book on my to read list. Thanks for the intriguing review.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I enjoyed this book and thought it an interesting twist on a classic vampire tale due to the introduction of other characters from the Bible and mythology. Great review!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I enjoy it when authors bring in myth and known characters in history and give them a new spin. Making Cain's ancestors be cursed as vampires is a interesting element. It reminds me of the movie Dracula 2000 where the first vampire was Judas. Its cool for vampirism to be a curse for horrible crimes.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I liked this story a lot, too. However, I didn't view it as YA.

The origins of vampirism in this book is quite interesting, and, as another user pointed out, reminiscent of Dracula 2000.

I'm looking forward to reading future installments!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Anneberly
Currently Reading: The Institute
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneberly.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Anneberly »

I enjoy audiobooks, but a downfall when completing a book review is that spelling and grammar are hidden from the reader. This book actually had numerous mistakes in this area.
Great review!!!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

The creativity is awe inspiring. I love the title as well. Your review has summarized the book well and left me with compulsion to read it. Congratulations.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”