Official Review: Beneath It All by Trace Clevinger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Beneath It All by Trace Clevinger

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath It All" by Trace Clevinger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why on earth would anyone want to kidnap and kill a harmless young marine biologist who works in an aquarium? I don’t know, perhaps because so many times there’s more to a story than meets the eye? Author Trace Clevinger tells an interesting, action-packed story in this short adventure novel titled Beneath It All.

Fresh out of the university with a spanking new degree in marine biology, Maverick is eager to start his new job at the aquarium in Fort Fisher, caring for sharks and alligators. However, the aquarium is not his only reason for choosing to live near the ocean. Legend has it that the ruins of a treasure-laden ship belonging to the famous pirate Blackbeard lie on the ocean floor at Frying Pan Shoals, just off the coast. Over the years, several people have tried to find this ship without success, or so it seems. Maverick intends to go on an adventurous search of this ship. He gets an adventure far beyond his expectations and is forced to think about his life choices.

My favorite thing about this book is that it definitely does not beat about the bush. The author sticks to the storyline and consistently delivers chapter after chapter of fun and adventure. He also includes a generous dose of suspense. However, as much as I loved the conciseness of this story, I couldn’t help but feel it was a little rushed. Maybe that’s because I didn’t want it to end, anyway. This is one book that would definitely appeal to the book’s intended audience; young adults. I therefore willingly recommend it to every young, adventure loving adult.

This is an adventure novel that doesn’t entirely throw safety out the window. While the protagonist engages in daring acts of courage from time to time, he also remembers to not only stay safe, but to ensure the safety of others. There’s more. The character development in this book is great. In the beginning, the author gives a sneak peek into the protagonist’s childhood. As the story progresses, it is amazing just how much the protagonist matures, while still retaining important childhood character traits. Secondary characters in this story are equally well developed. The story moves at a steady pace and doesn’t get confusing at any point.

This book deserves all 4 out of 4 stars and gets it. I didn’t find a single grammar error. My only disappointment was that the table of contents mentions a bonus short story at the end of the book, but this short story was not included in the book I received. I am definitely interested in reading more from this author.

Beneath It All
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Well, I'm not a YA but I love the suspenseful adventure you described, and this definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for the recommendation!
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Welp, I'm always up for an adventure (in books at least :D ). Suspense and good character development for both protagonist and secondary characters? Sign me up!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm definitely hooked. I'll be looking up this book soon. Thanks for the great review! Coincidentally I love the aquarium at Fort Fischer, so I'm quite interested to find it part of the book.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:21 Well, I'm not a YA but I love the suspenseful adventure you described, and this definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy! Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks for the lovely comment too!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Kate S wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 23:52 Welp, I'm always up for an adventure (in books at least :D ). Suspense and good character development for both protagonist and secondary characters? Sign me up!
You’re definitely signed up. Love your comment!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 10:33 I'm definitely hooked. I'll be looking up this book soon. Thanks for the great review! Coincidentally I love the aquarium at Fort Fischer, so I'm quite interested to find it part of the book.
Wow, that’s just wonderful! Now you’ve got me interested in the aquarium too.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

Even though this is a Young Adult book, I would read it. Sign me up for treasures, aquariums, and mysteries. Your review got my attention - hook, line, and sinker!
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Awesome review! You make it sound so interesting and it's great that the grammar was perfect! I'm usually very bugged about the editing in indie books. Thanks for the rec :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Oh, you have definitely grabbed me with your review. I want to find out what happened to Maverick that he had to reevaluate his choices.... A sunken treasure mystery sounds perfect after the academic book I just reviewed. I will look into this one. You are a really beautiful writer and I enjoyed your review very much.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I'm not a YA but I'm always up for suspense! Thanks for a great review :D
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

drunyan wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 19:04 Even though this is a Young Adult book, I would read it. Sign me up for treasures, aquariums, and mysteries. Your review got my attention - hook, line, and sinker!
Thank you :) I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and what is more, you took the time to let me know this!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Fuzaila wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 02:05 Awesome review! You make it sound so interesting and it's great that the grammar was perfect! I'm usually very bugged about the editing in indie books. Thanks for the rec :)
Thank you! I’m glad the editing was flawless too. I’m always wary of editing issues in indie books as well but this was such a pleasant read!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 13:53 Oh, you have definitely grabbed me with your review. I want to find out what happened to Maverick that he had to reevaluate his choices.... A sunken treasure mystery sounds perfect after the academic book I just reviewed. I will look into this one. You are a really beautiful writer and I enjoyed your review very much.
Thank you for your beautiful words. I’m so glad you enjoyed the review and decided to leave this lovely comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

JudasFm wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 03:38 I'm not a YA but I'm always up for suspense! Thanks for a great review :D
You’re welcome! :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”