Official Review: Kirin Rise The Cast of Shadows by Ed Cruz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: Kirin Rise The Cast of Shadows by Ed Cruz

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kirin Rise The Cast of Shadows" by Ed Cruz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wing Chun is a Gung Fu that can be studied and used by any body type and any age. ('Gung Fu' is the Chinese Pinyin equivalent of 'Kung Fu' and is considered to be the more appropriate term for Chinese traditional martial arts.) Wing Chun Gung Fu is notable for although its stances involve only subtle movements, these movements can inflict severe damage. And in Kirin Rise: The Cast of Shadows by Ed Cruz, the titular character, Kirin, seeks to use Wing Chun Gung Fu to cause a ripple that may change the twisted society.

At the start of the 21st Century, the economic crisis permanently abolished the middle class, creating an America divided between the rich and the poor. Soon, the United Federation of Mixed Fighting (UFMF) was established, providing a new form of entertainment that involves gruesome fights. UFMF sponsors tournaments where martial artists are pit against each other in fights for survival or fights to the death. Citizens were brainwashed into believing that any means is justifiable—including violence and killing—provided it is for the sake of money. Kirin hates this system, and she has to do something. Otherwise, she will never outgrow that eight-year-old girl who ran away from North Korea, unable to save her biological parents and saving only herself. So with Wing Chun Gung Fu that she learned from Sifu, Kirin finally makes a stand in the Chum Night—an event where the 'uninitiated' (non-professional martial artists) can fight against professionals. Kirin beats her huge opponent in one strike, giving a new meaning to the ‘One-Hit Wonder’ tag. She then showers the crowd with the cash prize she won, shocking the spectators of the match and disturbing the system she loathes. But when Kirin thinks her job is done, she realizes causing a ripple means so much more than winning one fight.

Kirin Rise: The Cast of Shadows is the first offering in the Kirin Rise series and features a futuristic dystopian story told from multiple points of view.

I recommend this book to all fans of young adult stories with feisty female lead characters and to those who are into martial arts. Though evidently knowledgeable in Wing Chun, the author chose not to focus primarily on the technicalities of the Gung Fu. Thus, even if you do not have any background in Wing Chun or in any form of martial arts, you will not find the story too complicated. The book contains a number of philosophical discussions, and since it involves martial arts, expect scenes depicting violence, although nothing too disturbing. If you are bothered by these, it's best not to read this book. In addition, despite having a futuristic concept, the book did not depict much technological advancement, except for the TV that responds to voice commands. To be fair, the book’s timeline spans from 2024 to 2032 which is not that far off from our current year 2018. But if you’re looking for a world that is profoundly technologically-advanced, you won’t find that in this book.

The author’s narrative is more of a direct exposition and not stylistic. As I prefer poetic narratives, the author's writing style did not appeal to me at first. The mixture of the first-person and third-person point of views also threw me off. Nonetheless, I got used to these as I read along, and the switching of point of views also started to make sense after a few chapters.

I commend the author for creating characters belonging to different races. The characters were also generally interesting and likable, except for the antagonists who were a bit formulaic, like the typical thugs and their excessively wealthy bosses in your typical action film.

The book also presents a love triangle. Kirin is the object of affection of her high school friend Hunter and her Wing Chun classmate Tobias. I am glad the story did not revolve around this love triangle for I find other aspects of Kirin's life more exciting. Hunter was introduced halfway through the book and barely had any significant scenes. Meanwhile, Tobias and Kirin’s relationship occurred to me as a brother-sister bond stemming from their student years in Sifu’s school. I couldn’t tell when the line between siblings and romantic interests started to blur between the two. Moreover, Kirin had a tendency to swing from one side to another, and this is the type of love triangle I’m definitely not fond of, though some readers may find the dynamics of this triangle entertaining.

Descriptions in the narrative were also heavily lacking, and the few descriptions included were more ‘telling’ than ‘showing.’ For instance, the author wrote ‘Her features were soft and gentle…’ instead of expounding why the features were supposed to be ‘soft and gentle.’ Nonetheless, the illustrations compensated for this lack of descriptions. At the beginning of the book, the author also added brief character profiles which included drawings of the characters.

I give Kirin Rise: The Cast of Shadows 3 out of 4 stars for I enjoyed Kirin’s journey, both her past as Sifu’s student and her present life as a fighter. Nonetheless, I noticed a few typos and some errors in comma usage. Some lines were also awkwardly phrased and need to be reworded.

Kirin Rise The Cast of Shadows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Eww first AND third person. That just doesn't seem like a good idea At All. thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would probably get lost switching back and forth, but I may get used to it. I love the idea behind this story. From the cover, that's not what I thought it would be. It seems more anime-ish from the cover, but it sounds more sci-fi-ish. So, I'll have to check it out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I also like that you began to see the method to the madness of the alternating povs the more you read. Thank you for a great review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

jvez wrote: 05 May 2018, 14:59
At the start of the 21st Century, the economic crisis permanently abolished the middle class, creating an America divided between the rich and the poor. Soon, the United Federation of Mixed Fighting (UFMF) was established, providing a new form of entertainment that involves gruesome fights.
When was this book written that they deemed an economic crisis of this magnitude plausible for the start of the 21st Century? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not plausible, I'm just wondering at the author's chosen timeline.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I’ve read a few books where the narrative switches between first and third person. It can work, but it usually is not my favorite.

It is interesting that the author used the Wing Chun Gung Fu ideas on not just a martial arts base but also on the ripple effect of the society. That sounds like a nice pairing.
Paiges-reads
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paiges-reads.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Paiges-reads »

I do love my dystopian futurist sci-fi's, and one that talks about the economic divide in American society? Sign me up! The fact that it's the not-too-distant future makes it more desirable to me, not less. I also love feisty female protagonists, and while I wouldn't be too interested in the love triangle, I'm glad it isn't one of the main points. Thank you for the review, this one is definitely right up my ally!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”