Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: Official Review: Tales from Piney Grove by Bobby Morrison

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Sounds like an interesting and thought provoking story! What hard working people struggling through good and bad. Thanks for the review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

BriennaiJ wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:29
SABRADLEY wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:23
BriennaiJ wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:19

Definitely, try it if you have the time! Sometimes I feel as if the poor are happier without all the things that the better-off people have to try and make themselves happy.
I wholeheartedly agree with you!
Maybe the money breaks people away from simple human happiness, and start to connect happiness to material things that do not last forever.
I totally agree with this! It is important to not connect happiness to the material, and we ought to start looking around us for it. Great review, and I enjoyed reading it.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 14 May 2018, 17:43 Sounds like an interesting and thought provoking story! What hard working people struggling through good and bad. Thanks for the review!
This is definitely a great story, I hope you get the chance to read it yourself!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Its amazing how some people can make the best of any situation. It must have been hard to be a woman during that time, with so few options.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A true account revolving around life in poverty-stricken South sounds interesting. As the author reminisced about his early years in Piney Grove, shouldn’t the book be under historical fiction? It is good that the book shows a different side of the 1960s Black America, and that it is well written and well edited. It is sad to read about the "city slickers" that led the girls astray. Not really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It makes me sad to read about this girls who were tricked by the city boys. I never thought about that. Thank you for this great review!
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

It's beautiful to appreciate and see positive things despite the unfortunate situations people might be in. I think this is a historical fiction that will make me value life more and to give importance to what I have because those are so much more compared to what others have.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a brilliant book dealing with something that is not often talked about. I have never thought about poverty in the 1960s but it was a reality as much as it is today. It also sounds like a really sad read, even though the people deal with all these troubles in a really positive way.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

This shows that anyone can be happy without luxury or any unnecessary things. You just have to contented and enjoy any situation both good or bad. This book looks boring but you can have lessons to learned thats why its recommendable.
Mmercie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mmercie »

It makes me think of how life can be sometimes. No matter how hard a situation is there is always a solution. Someone can have nothing today and have something tomorrow. From rags to riches. Great review.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

memoirs are not typically my favorite genre but this sounds like a unique story about people that no one really knows much about. It sounds like a great commentary about adjusting to your lifestyle and what people are willing to do to better their lives.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! Such an enlightening review!
You´re totally right, that´s not what I think when I think about the 60s. My mother grew up in the 60s!
This book seems like something really special. It´s sad that women faced such a hard reality, but it´s not entirely surprising. I do love the idea of having fun with your means and learning to adapt. Of course, we should all strive for the best, but it´s also important to live in the now and do the best with what we´ve got.
Thanks for the review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a coming of age biography with an enticing plot and a unique protagonist. I enjoyed the book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review was masterfully crafted. Congrats on being the BOTD.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Tales From Piney Grove sounds like a way to know about the 1960's in a poverty-stricken and isolated small town. I like learning about USA history through stories. Reading this book may give the reader more insight into some of the older generations who grew up in a small Southern community.
Anitah kelvis
Currently Reading: The 5-Day Stage Fright Solution
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Anitah kelvis »

The tale from pine grove patrays the nature of people in the church where most of people are on public show and not true seekers of God! They are material driven and discriminate the poor. As they could burst into loughter whenever Mr Wade the oldest member of the church preached against them

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”