Official Review: TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions" by Dawn Corbett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions is a young adult novel written by Dawn Corbett. The novel follows the students and teachers of SkyDale School as they try to complete the first nine weeks of the school year. Shae, a skyglitter, is a resident of the school. She is positive energy incarnate and is tasked with bringing happiness to the school. To accomplish this, she has to assemble a team of four students. Shae chooses Staci, Courtni, Craig, and Liam as her team with Ms. Elci, their homeroom teacher, as their leader. Staci is a bright and positive young girl. Courtni is athletic and agile. Craig is the class clown while Liam is a steadfast boy. Together, they must stop the vandal who threatens to ruin the happiness of the school.

I really enjoyed the unique premise of the book. It was obvious that the author took time to develop a plausible background for the creation of Shae. The idea that skyglitters were created in the ionosphere from positive particles was a good combination of realism and creativity. Additionally, I liked how Slate, the school bully, wasn’t characterized as being simply a bad kid. Too often, antagonists are written flatly and without any motivation for their negative actions. The dynamic characterization of Slate allowed for me to empathize with him. The use of popular terms such as dabbing was also age-appropriate. This could help young adult readers to better immerse themselves in the story.

Despite the development of Slate, I felt that, in general, the characters were very flat. Even though the title of the book implies that the pre-teens were the focus of the book, most of the storyline centers around Ms. Elci and Shae. As a result, I didn’t really get to know Staci, Courtni, Craig, and Liam very well. Additionally, the setting was restricted to the school. I think that if the setting was expanded to describe the team’s home lives, I would have been able to connect more with their characters. I also felt dissatisfied with the ending. The antics of the vandal were consistently mentioned throughout the novel. I was anticipating the resolution of this plot point, but it ended abruptly and with little detail. It felt as if the author wanted to quickly wrap up the story. I think that an additional chapter or epilogue would have helped tie up the novel.

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions contained numerous spelling and grammatical errors. Common examples included the usage of your instead of you’re and improper usage of apostrophes. These errors seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the novel.

I rate TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions 2 out of 4 stars. While the premise was interesting and unique, the numerous errors and poor characterization negatively impacted my opinion of the book. However, I really appreciated that the author took the time to develop Slate as a fully-fledged character. After proof-reading and editing, this book could be an excellent read for young adult readers and teachers alike. Older audiences might be unable to engage themselves in the plot due to the age-gap between themselves and the characters.

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I was wondering what the story was about, as the book cover honestly looked unappealing. It's nice to hear that there's good character development here, although as you pointed out, it could have been extended to the other pre-teen characters as well. This definitely isn't for me, but I agree that editing (and a new cover!) might make this more appealing for young adult readers.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I agree this book has potential. As it is, though, I don't think I'll read it. I'm glad Slate was fully developed, but it's too bad the other characters were not.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Not to judge a book by its cover, but even the cover image suggests an unprofessional novel. Using the correct form of "your" vs. "you're" is practically the poster child of grammatical errors, so if the author couldn't even handle that, I don't want to spend time reading this! It seems like it did have promise, though. I hope the author continues improving their writing.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Well... to say the least, in addition to the reported: "the numerous errors and poor characterization", the negatively spoiler alerts have certainly impacted my opinion of the book, which seems as not a good read. Thanks for sharing.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

ViziVoir wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 16:29 Not to judge a book by its cover, but even the cover image suggests an unprofessional novel.
I agree! When I looked at it before reading the review, I thought "Oh! A book on gaming!" Does this age me, haha? :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to relate with this story. Thank you for honestly evaluating the pros and cons. It did seem to have great potential!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

What a cool concept! Like others, I feel like the cover doesn’t do it justice. But I like that the author has really gone for something unique, and it sounds promising!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

lavellan wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 20:00 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions" by Dawn Corbett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions is a young adult novel written by Dawn Corbett. The novel follows the students and teachers of SkyDale School as they try to complete the first nine weeks of the school year. Shae, a skyglitter, is a resident of the school. She is positive energy incarnate and is tasked with bringing happiness to the school. To accomplish this, she has to assemble a team of four students. Shae chooses Staci, Courtni, Craig, and Liam as her team with Ms. Elci, their homeroom teacher, as their leader. Staci is a bright and positive young girl. Courtni is athletic and agile. Craig is the class clown while Liam is a steadfast boy. Together, they must stop the vandal who threatens to ruin the happiness of the school.

I really enjoyed the unique premise of the book. It was obvious that the author took time to develop a plausible background for the creation of Shae. The idea that skyglitters were created in the ionosphere from positive particles was a good combination of realism and creativity. Additionally, I liked how Slate, the school bully, wasn’t characterized as being simply a bad kid. Too often, antagonists are written flatly and without any motivation for their negative actions. The dynamic characterization of Slate allowed for me to empathize with him. The use of popular terms such as dabbing was also age-appropriate. This could help young adult readers to better immerse themselves in the story.

Despite the development of Slate, I felt that, in general, the characters were very flat. Even though the title of the book implies that the pre-teens were the focus of the book, most of the storyline centers around Ms. Elci and Shae. As a result, I didn’t really get to know Staci, Courtni, Craig, and Liam very well. Additionally, the setting was restricted to the school. I think that if the setting was expanded to describe the team’s home lives, I would have been able to connect more with their characters. I also felt dissatisfied with the ending. The antics of the vandal were consistently mentioned throughout the novel. I was anticipating the resolution of this plot point, but it ended abruptly and with little detail. It felt as if the author wanted to quickly wrap up the story. I think that an additional chapter or epilogue would have helped tie up the novel.

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions contained numerous spelling and grammatical errors. Common examples included the usage of your instead of you’re and improper usage of apostrophes. These errors seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the novel.

I rate TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions 2 out of 4 stars. While the premise was interesting and unique, the numerous errors and poor characterization negatively impacted my opinion of the book. However, I really appreciated that the author took the time to develop Slate as a fully-fledged character. After proof-reading and editing, this book could be an excellent read for young adult readers and teachers alike. Older audiences might be unable to engage themselves in the plot due to the age-gap between themselves and the characters.

TWEENS! Pre-Teens of Epic Proportions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sounds like an interesting premise, but its unfortunate that there were so many issues. I would be interested in reading this if more edits were made. Thanks for sharing.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Aeranat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aeranat »

[
inaramid wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:25 I was wondering what the story was about, as the book cover honestly looked unappealing. It's nice to hear that there's good character development here, although as you pointed out, it could have been extended to the other pre-teen characters as well. This definitely isn't for me, but I agree that editing (and a new cover!) might make this more appealing for young adult readers.
Yeah, the cover honestly makes the book seem like a cheap colouring book and flat characters and grammar errors can make books most unappealing. Definitely not for me
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is a shame with all the mistakes and underdeveloped characters. One thing that would annoy me more is the rushed ending.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I'm not quite sure I understand what this book is about (or what a skyglitter is). Is it meant as a teaching tool or just a novel about pre-teens?
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I wish that it had been better, as the premise seemed interesting. However, I struggle to relate to many of the books that are supposed to be relatable to "teens" or "preteens" even though I do still qualify as a teen. This book seems to be a perfect example of why I often can't relate.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I like the idea of skyglitters. That sounds different and kool. Very interesting that of all the characters, the bully was the one who was well-developed. I too find that a school bully and even a lot of villians are really not well-developed so we just peg them as "bad guys" without knowing anything about them. Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Don't think I'll read this one but I'm glad to have read your review to see what this book is about.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The many errors really turn me off so I don't think I'll try it out. However, with some editing, I think it can be much better.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”