The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Post by Vannaskivt »

Everyone, not just young-adults, should read this book. It is fantastic as an audiobook, and I bought a paper copy because I enjoyed it so much I wanted it to have a place on my physical bookshelf. This is an amazing story of compassion, understanding, and seeing life from various perspectives. The challenge of handling racism delicately, but head-on, is handled so well in this book. Highly recommend.
Malaika_sidd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Malaika_sidd »

I loved this book, it talks about the rights of black community, and how every life matters.
Caillin Mullen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caillin Mullen »

The hate you give was a great book to read, I dont usually read but i decided to give this book a shot, but i was really invested in this, really great storyline and great characters. Love how this book talks about serious real world topics because racism is such a problem. I really hope we will all be equal in the future.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

This was such a good book, it handled such serious themes in a brilliant manner, and yeah, it made me cry. A lot. I have cried multiple times while reading this book, and I felt each moment hit me very intensely.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I picked The Hate U Give for a 2021 reading challenge prompt: "a book in Black Lives Matter reading list" or "a book on Social Justice".
I already heard positive reviews about it, so I had high expectations before reading.
Truth be told, I'm not disappointed.
One of my Top-Rated books this year.
Worth recommending!
adean05

Post by adean05 »

The Hate You Give is a great book for anyone to read. It is a book about a girl named Star living in the “hood”. Star attends a school in a high income area. While at a party in her neighborhood a shoot out happens. The shoot out leads to star leaving with an old friend. While her and the friend are driving they get pulled over. Resulting in her friend getting shot and killed. This leads to the neighborhood and community starting an uprising. It is a great book on black lives. Giving an insight on how it is to be black in America. It is a great book and I definitely recommend. It is a very educational book that will have you hooked. It is very hard to put down and might have you a little emotional. Definitely worth the read
readlikejess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readlikejess.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by readlikejess »

I heard this book was good. But it was still on my pile of TBR. Hopefully this year ends with me reading it.
yadu
Currently Reading:

Post by yadu »

This book is all about how racial description exists, even after all these years of constant fight for freedom. The main character learns about the horrors of the world when she witnessed her bestfriend being shot in front of her eyes for the sole reason of his skin color. The book was written in the perspective of a teenage girl very well.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I definitely loved reading this book. Even though it’s such a difficult topic to talk on, still very necessary that we are informed. Nobody deserves to be treated a certain way because of a certain thing be it race,religion,etc. I think it was definitely worth every hype and would read it again in a heartbeat.
Lindsey5

Post by Lindsey5 »

I absolutely loved this book! I have read it about twice now and every single time, I get goose bumps. It is a fantastic read and really goes into depth about the problems that black people face today. 10/10
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I really liked this book. I read it some time in 2018 when I purchased it in a book fair and I absolutely fell for it. It was heartbreaking and eye-opening at the same time. This book was a great take on culture, racism, police brutality, and privilege. I will definitely reread this again.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

The hate u give was my first YA book and it holds a dear space in my heart. Such a good readwith a really important story.
ursaviourveve

Post by ursaviourveve »

This book was absolutely amazing and powerful. Definitely one of my all time favourites.
June Moon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-june-moon.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by June Moon »

Man I really loved the book. Every character was very interesting and star's character just has so much amazing depth. I loved her relationship with her father so much!
Claire Zondo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-zondo.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Claire Zondo »

Amazing book! I related to this alot, as I have seen and been through situations like this before, its great to see a book that shines light on police brutality. The movie is also great.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”