Official Review: Chasing the Red Queen by Karen Glista

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Chasing the Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing the Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six years after her father’s tragic death, Donja Bellanger still struggles to adjust to life without him. When her mother decides to remarry, Donja is forced to leave her friends and the place she calls home to live with her new family in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It does not take long before her life begins to spiral out of control. When a visit to an exclusive club for elites gains her the attention of the handsome Torin Mancini, who is an Iridescent (a powerful ancient spirit), her blood lures him in, and he finds himself strangely attracted to her. Except, he is not the only one who has her in his sights. A deadly predator, who has murdered several Chippewa girls on both sides of the Canada-United States border has picked up her scent and is dying to get a taste of her blood. Will Torin’s feelings for Donja overcome his primal instincts to feed on her blood or will he be her undoing? If not, will Donja end up falling prey to the murderous and bloodthirsty predator?

Chasing the Red Queen by Karen Glista is a captivating, paranormal romance novel that takes readers on a thrilling and fun but dangerous adventure into the world of Ojibwe spirits, special bloodlines, and vampire-like creatures. Written in the third-person point of view, we get to follow the two main characters (Donja and Torin) intermittently until their worlds meet. This made things interesting as we got to know both characters and their different worlds separately; thus, the moment they finally met, their interactions were all the more fascinating.

The spell-binding narrative brilliantly blended elements of mysticism, romance, and murder-mystery. The story is elevated further by its well-developed characters; their backstories, relationships, strengths, and weaknesses made them feel genuine. The author’s use of description and world-building were commendable. As a result, I found myself completely immersed in the characters’ world and the events that took place.

Parts of the narrative, such as a physically intimate relationship between a seventeen-year-old and a twenty-six-year-old, may shock some readers. I wondered if this was legal in real life, and a quick Google search revealed that the age of consent in Michigan (where most of the narrative takes place) is sixteen, but raised to eighteen when the older party is an authority figure. The older party in the narrative is a detective; therefore, their interactions bordered on the illegal. The author unapologetically took a no-holds-barred approach when it came to writing the vivid description of the sex-scene and murdered victims; these intimate details and gory description added to the intensity of the novel.

Even though the book is well-written, the copy I read could use a round of professional editing. Donja’s step-sister, Mikayla, was called ‘Makayla’ and ‘Makala’ in different parts of the book. Donja’s grandmother, Anna Bellanger, was known as Anna Nolan before she got married, but another part of the book implied that she was ‘Anna Beaty’ before her marriage. Another inconsistency was when Lisa, Donja’s mum, at one point, tells Anna that Gage took the necessary steps to protect Frankie, but at another says it was Torin. Grammatical errors I noticed include missing articles, pronouns, and quotation marks, as well as the use of ‘now’ in place of ‘how,’ ‘interrupt’ instead of ‘interpret,’ and so on.

Overall, the storyline and plot-twists made for an enchanting narrative. The author also did a fantastic job in wrapping up the narrative. I would recommend this novel to fans of paranormal romance and those who are not put-off by the flaws mentioned in this review. Because of the inconsistencies and errors found, I deducted one point. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Chasing the Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm not sure I could get past the grammatical errors, to say nothing of the author painting illegal relationships in a forgiving light. At the very least, it's good to see a relatively original take on the paranormal romance genre.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Well written review! I looked into reviewing this book. I have mixed feelings about passing on it. It sounds like it was a pretty entertaining read, but I'm easily distracted by a lack of thorough editing/proofreading.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it does sound like an intriguing story, but I would not enjoy the explicit nature of the book. I am unsure about the relationship between a 17 year old and a 26 year old as well because it would be considered illegal. I'm unsure why she HAD to be 17. Couldn't the author have raised her age by just one year? Thanks for the review, but I'm going to avoid this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Your first paragraph actually put me in the frame of mind of Twilight, a book that started out with the heroine falling deeply in love with a vampire who had initially wanted to kill her due to her scent, a heroine who also ends up being chased by other beings who would kill her. But it seems like the differences end there and I'd like to read this, partly for comparing purposes. It's very difficult to offend me, so I'll easily overlook the violence and sex scenes and "illegal" relationship and just try to enjoy the story for what it is. Thanks so much for the introduction!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I don't care for the underage sexual relationship aspect. I like my reading material to be pretty PG/PG-13. Certain similarities reminded me of Twilight which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, it's a no for me, but I did like your review.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

CommMayo wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:11 Well written review! I looked into reviewing this book. I have mixed feelings about passing on it. It sounds like it was a pretty entertaining read, but I'm easily distracted by a lack of thorough editing/proofreading.
Thanks! It really was, haha, you missed out.
kandscreeley wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:25 Well, it does sound like an intriguing story, but I would not enjoy the explicit nature of the book. I am unsure about the relationship between a 17 year old and a 26 year old as well because it would be considered illegal. I'm unsure why she HAD to be 17. Couldn't the author have raised her age by just one year? Thanks for the review, but I'm going to avoid this one.
As I read the book, I didn't think anything physical would happen between the two until she at least turned 18. I was surprised that the author chose to go that route, but I wasn't offended. I didn't see any reason why she couldn't have been 18 when it happened. So yea, her being 17 wasn't integral to the plot.
MsTri wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 02:04 Your first paragraph actually put me in the frame of mind of Twilight, a book that started out with the heroine falling deeply in love with a vampire who had initially wanted to kill her due to her scent, a heroine who also ends up being chased by other beings who would kill her. But it seems like the differences end there and I'd like to read this, partly for comparing purposes. It's very difficult to offend me, so I'll easily overlook the violence and sex scenes and "illegal" relationship and just try to enjoy the story for what it is. Thanks so much for the introduction!
That's great, enjoy!
SABRADLEY wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 14:19 I don't care for the underage sexual relationship aspect. I like my reading material to be pretty PG/PG-13. Certain similarities reminded me of Twilight which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, it's a no for me, but I did like your review.
Thanks.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was enticed by the scent of your review; I could almost smell Donja's (I love that name!) blood myself. Lol!

It seems the author has a passion for the shocking; even the typos are something else. How I wish authors would be more serious about proofing their work.

Thanks for the thorough review, Ritah! Well done!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a big gooey goop when it comes to paranormal romances, especially the ones with well-developed characters and well-described relationships.

Beautifully written review! 👏🏼
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I love stories with an age gap so that isnt a problem for me, the gory scenes might be though. On a sidenote, can an ancient spirit be only twenty six years old?
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

ritah wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 04:23 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing the Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six years after her father’s tragic death, Donja Bellanger still struggles to adjust to life without him. When her mother decides to remarry, Donja is forced to leave her friends and the place she calls home to live with her new family in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It does not take long before her life begins to spiral out of control. When a visit to an exclusive club for elites gains her the attention of the handsome Torin Mancini, who is an Iridescent (a powerful ancient spirit), her blood lures him in, and he finds himself strangely attracted to her. Except, he is not the only one who has her in his sights. A deadly predator, who has murdered several Chippewa girls on both sides of the Canada-United States border has picked up her scent and is dying to get a taste of her blood. Will Torin’s feelings for Donja overcome his primal instincts to feed on her blood or will he be her undoing? If not, will Donja end up falling prey to the murderous and bloodthirsty predator?

Chasing the Red Queen by Karen Glista is a captivating, paranormal romance novel that takes readers on a thrilling and fun but dangerous adventure into the world of Ojibwe spirits, special bloodlines, and vampire-like creatures. Written in the third-person point of view, we get to follow the two main characters (Donja and Torin) intermittently until their worlds meet. This made things interesting as we got to know both characters and their different worlds separately; thus, the moment they finally met, their interactions were all the more fascinating.

The spell-binding narrative brilliantly blended elements of mysticism, romance, and murder-mystery. The story is elevated further by its well-developed characters; their backstories, relationships, strengths, and weaknesses made them feel genuine. The author’s use of description and world-building were commendable. As a result, I found myself completely immersed in the characters’ world and the events that took place.

Parts of the narrative, such as a physically intimate relationship between a seventeen-year-old and a twenty-six-year-old, may shock some readers. I wondered if this was legal in real life, and a quick Google search revealed that the age of consent in Michigan (where most of the narrative takes place) is sixteen, but raised to eighteen when the older party is an authority figure. The older party in the narrative is a detective; therefore, their interactions bordered on the illegal. The author unapologetically took a no-holds-barred approach when it came to writing the vivid description of the sex-scene and murdered victims; these intimate details and gory description added to the intensity of the novel.

Even though the book is well-written, the copy I read could use a round of professional editing. Donja’s step-sister, Mikayla, was called ‘Makayla’ and ‘Makala’ in different parts of the book. Donja’s grandmother, Anna Bellanger, was known as Anna Nolan before she got married, but another part of the book implied that she was ‘Anna Beaty’ before her marriage. Another inconsistency was when Lisa, Donja’s mum, at one point, tells Anna that Gage took the necessary steps to protect Frankie, but at another says it was Torin. Grammatical errors I noticed include missing articles, pronouns, and quotation marks, as well as the use of ‘now’ in place of ‘how,’ ‘interrupt’ instead of ‘interpret,’ and so on.

Overall, the storyline and plot-twists made for an enchanting narrative. The author also did a fantastic job in wrapping up the narrative. I would recommend this novel to fans of paranormal romance and those who are not put-off by the flaws mentioned in this review. Because of the inconsistencies and errors found, I deducted one point. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Chasing the Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Very well written! I would be interested in taking a look, but I don't know if I could get pass the grammatical errors and inconsistent character names.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Although I love paranormal romances, I tend to avoid those with vampires or vampire-like creatures. I could get over the age gap but I have a hard time reading gory scenes (hence why I avoid vampires). This seemed interesting at first and I liked the cover and title but there isn't enough here for me to read this one. Nice review, thanks for your insights.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this detailed review! This novel sounds like a fascinating fantasy that gets away from the medieval European-based cliches and explores the beliefs of an indigenous culture, which makes it all-too-rare. It sounds really well done overall, even with the typos.

As for the possibly questionable relationship, I've found that it is best to wait to read how that sort of thing is presented in context before rushing to conclusions.

I'll put this one on my shelf.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The storyline sounds unique and captivating. However, the errors really turn me off so I don't think it's for me.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

CommMayo wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:11 Well written review! I looked into reviewing this book. I have mixed feelings about passing on it. It sounds like it was a pretty entertaining read, but I'm easily distracted by a lack of thorough editing/proofreading.
Congratulations on being the previous member of the month!
The graphic gory and intercourse scenes will be too much for me so I will pass on this one.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”