Arc of a Scythe Trilogy (#1 Scythe and #2 Thunderhead)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Arc of a Scythe Trilogy (#1 Scythe and #2 Thunderhead)

Post by brunettebiblio »

I searched and couldn't believe there isn't a post on this yet! The Arc of a Scythe trilogy by Neal Shusterman thus far is FANTASTIC! It's a futuristic dystopian novel where humans have outsmarted death and can even regenerate themselves back to a younger age. But because of this, population control is important...insert Scythes here.

Only two of the three books have come out so far (Thunderhead was just released this month) so I know it will be a long wait for the third and last book, but man I'm excited.

This is such an inventive concept, the plot is gripping, and the writing is fun. Who else has read either the first or both books in the Arc of a Scythe trilogy, and what did you think??
Raeee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raeee »

Hello! I just got the copy of Thunderhead and wow I can't believe I hadn't tried to read it earlier! It was such a wild ride and It was so crazy. I'm still not over it and I finished it two days ago! I can't believe everything that had happened.

Who's your favorite character? Worst character? Best moment/line and any moments where you had to put the book down? I know I had to take a breather but I couldn't stop myself from reading it.

The next book is going to take forever to come out!!
brunettebiblio

Post by brunettebiblio »

I absolutely ADORE Scythe Marie Curie. She's such a mom but super down to earth at the same time. And what she did at the end of Thunderhead BLEW. ME. AWAY.
TNHillbilly
Currently Reading: Stalling for time
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by TNHillbilly »

I just finished Scythe and loved it. I can’t wait to get my hands on Thunderhead. Well-written books that make you care what happens to the characters.
Now, if only my library had the second book!
kaychig

Post by kaychig »

I’ve been wanting to read these books for a while but I don’t want to have to wait in agony for the third book! Should I go ahead and read them anyways?
brunettebiblio

Post by brunettebiblio »

kaychig wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:33 I’ve been wanting to read these books for a while but I don’t want to have to wait in agony for the third book! Should I go ahead and read them anyways?
Um yes do it! The way Thunderhead ends definitely makes you crave the third, but not in a way that you'll drive yourself crazy waiting for it!
lesliestokes
Currently Reading: The Diminished
Bookshelf Size: 981

Post by lesliestokes »

I really loved Scythe. It was my favorite book that I read in 2017. I found the premise to be pretty original, and since I read a LOT of young adult fiction, that's rare for me. I was fortunate enough to get hold of an advance copy of Thunderhead and, though the tone was bit different from Scythe, I found that I loved it just as much. The ending was shocking, and I am now impatiently waiting for the next book!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I loved Scythe but I could not find a copy of Thunderhead in my local library. I hope that I will be able to read it, as I can't bear to read the ebook. I just can't get into the ebooks of this series at all.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

After reading these two books (Can't wait for the third to come out in 2019!), I truly questioned my life, reality, and what it means to be human. YA fiction often attempts to give psychological insights but either comes off as shallow or uninteresting. I have never felt such a connection towards a book, its characters, and the author before reading Scythe and Thunderhead. Kudos to Neal Shusterman. Now I'm off to read all the rest of his books.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
llama thing
Currently Reading:

Post by llama thing »

The book was amazing can't wait for thunderhead!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

brunettebiblio wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 08:54 I absolutely ADORE Scythe Marie Curie. She's such a mom but super down to earth at the same time. And what she did at the end of Thunderhead BLEW. ME. AWAY.
I know! I was completely and utterly shocked, but it just adds to how amazing her character is.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Scythe and Thunderhead are two of my favorite books. Thought-provoking and suspenseful, I could not stop reading them! My only complaint is that the romance between Citra and Rowan feels forced and unnecessary.
~Roxie~
gracefahlman

Post by gracefahlman »

Scythe is about a dystopian lifestyle where people have eliminated death. No diseases plague the world and criminals are gone. People have nothing to fear about...besides Scythes who have the ability to kill people who, when, or wherever they want. So when Citra and Rowan are taken under the guidance of Scythe Faraday, they are to be trained in the art of death. Yet neither one wants to be a part of it. Things get twisted when a suicide splits up these teens and they are forced to compete to the death for the Scythedom. Neal Shusterman creates this twisted and intricate novel that drags us down the hole of forbidden love, tragedy, and suspense.
Kiowa Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kiowa Reviews »

I know I am more than likely a little late to be getting on the hype train for this book, but I am so THRILLED to see this much excitement and to read all the comments. I had ventured into the real of YA fantasy through a series of dystopian favorites. I am so happy that after four years of not being in the world of reading, I am so thankful that this was one of the books that got me back into it.
Nadira Alom

Post by Nadira Alom »

I really enjoyed Scythe. I am almost always drawn to books that discuss highly philosophical books about morality and this one did just that. It discussed many topics but the main one was the morality of life and death and who in a world where natural death no longer exists should be tasked with deciding who gets to play God and decide who lives and dies. I especially enjoyed the dichotomy between the old Guard which included Scythe Marie Curie and Scythe Micheal Faraday and that of the New Order which included Goddard who ironically had a huge God-complex and Rand. It was so interesting to see the two main protagonist struggle with their own moralities. The one criticism that I have is that I would've liked to see more development of Citra and Rowan's relationship not necessarily in the romantic way just the development of their friendship more. I really really loved the ending but I won't spoil it here just in case you haven't read it yet. The Thunderhead was also amazing but I would've liked in the conclusion of the series for the Thunderhead to finally break its rules and communicate with the Sythedom but a girl can dream even if it doesn't happen. I guess it'll just remain a part of my headcanon. I might even write a fanfiction of it let me know if that is something you would like to see I would most probably post it on Wattpad if I did.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”