Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Solacecenter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Post by Solacecenter »

"New adult" vs the familiar phrase "young adult" is really new to me. I should, however, read more of such books to a nice go at them.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I will have to look into this "new adult" category, because, like several of the others who responded, I had not heard of it. However, I do tend to gravitate toward YA a lot. I find it easier to find more creative stories in the YA category including the Court of Thorns and Roses series and Throne of Glass series both by Sarah J. Maas. I usually shop for books online but when I go in the book store, I spend the majority of my time in the teen section. At the age of 28, I am still drawn to books along the lines of Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Nick Chronicles, and Six of Crows. Maybe the idea I have that YA books are more creative and unique is true because teens are so easily distracted and in order to keep their attention, a book really has to be superb.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Will definitely be checking out New Adult books. You’ve sparked my interest.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

A lot of the books that I like happen to be YA. I am a fan of dystopian, paranormal, and SciFi/fantasy books and their characters tend to be teens/ young 20s. Its rare to see older characters as the main character.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I was not aware that New Adult was a genre. I do occasionally read Young Adult and enjoy it so why not New Adult too?
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I prefer young adult but lately I have been toying with the idea of moving away from YA and on to new adult for a litle higher possibly newer reading level. But of course I'll still vacation among the YA several times a year. No matter how old I get the formatting of YA just draws my attention.
Kelseya146
Currently Reading: The Cruel Prince
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Kelseya146 »

I really like both genre's however i do tend to lean towards the young adult section as i enjoy watching a character grow from a teenager through the series into a young adult, maybe that's because im close to that age group and i can relate more who knows really, life is short so i just read what appeals to me without a second thought haha.
Heathernross26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =9179">Red Queen</a>
Currently Reading: James and the Giant Peach
Bookshelf Size: 213

Post by Heathernross26 »

ReadingRebecca wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 20:24 Are any of you more likely to read a book labeled as "new adult" fiction vs. "young adult" fiction? I've heard that "new adult" is applied when the main character is 18 to early 20s and is experiencing lots of things for the first time: apartment, first car, college, etc.

Let me know your thoughts.
That's interesting to know. I didn't know there was a "new adult" genre. Sometimes I think that the lines get blurred when I read YA novels because I feel that some of the subject matter in them is not age appropriate at times. I am 31 years old now and I feel that when I read YA novels at this point in my life I have a greater understanding for what the characters are going through having gone through it myself. You build life experiences throughout your teens and 20's that allow YA's to be more relatable when you reach your 30s lol. For example, If I was 18-20, some of the subject matter I read might be a little more intense seeing as though I don't fully comprehend a lot of the scenarios. Whereas at 30, I can relate more to what the characters are currently gping through. I hope this makes sense to people. 😊
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Heathernross26 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 16:26
ReadingRebecca wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 20:24 Are any of you more likely to read a book labeled as "new adult" fiction vs. "young adult" fiction? I've heard that "new adult" is applied when the main character is 18 to early 20s and is experiencing lots of things for the first time: apartment, first car, college, etc.

Let me know your thoughts.
That's interesting to know. I didn't know there was a "new adult" genre. Sometimes I think that the lines get blurred when I read YA novels because I feel that some of the subject matter in them is not age appropriate at times. I am 31 years old now and I feel that when I read YA novels at this point in my life I have a greater understanding for what the characters are going through having gone through it myself. You build life experiences throughout your teens and 20's that allow YA's to be more relatable when you reach your 30s lol. For example, If I was 18-20, some of the subject matter I read might be a little more intense seeing as though I don't fully comprehend a lot of the scenarios. Whereas at 30, I can relate more to what the characters are currently gping through. I hope this makes sense to people. 😊
Yes, I can see that. I agree that some topics seem beyond young adult age. It's also surprising to me how much of a harsh life a lot of these young kids have experienced. I suppose that's why those topics find their way into YA. There is a certain pleasure (or is it relief) in reading YA in your 30s. You understand the "why's" behind the reactions, and the very real angst of when you were 16 can now slide easily off of your consciousness.
* *I miss snow!* *
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:20 I prefer young adult but lately I have been toying with the idea of moving away from YA and on to new adult for a litle higher possibly newer reading level. But of course I'll still vacation among the YA several times a year. No matter how old I get the formatting of YA just draws my attention.
Lol. I like your phrasing of "vacationing among the YA". Just curious what your age is, over 20 or over 30? I do find it interesting that readers of YA are not always in the YA years themselves.

Does anyone else have any opinion on the average age of YA readers. I've always assumed it was mainly teenagers. I may be wrong there. I'd almost be glad to be wrong in that.
* *I miss snow!* *
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

ReadingRebecca wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 16:08
Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:20 I prefer young adult but lately, I have been toying with the idea of moving away from YA and on to new adult for a little higher possibly newer reading level. But of course, I'll still vacation among the YA several times a year. No matter how old I get the formatting of YA just draws my attention.
Lol. I like your phrasing of "vacationing among the YA". Just curious what your age is, over 20 or over 30? I do find it interesting that readers of YA are not always in the YA years themselves.

Does anyone else have any opinion on the average age of YA readers? I've always assumed it was mainly teenagers. I may be wrong there. I'd almost be glad to be wrong in that.
I am 30 as of about a month ago. I begin reading YA when I was about 24. I haven't stepped out of that except a few times over the years. I always reverted back quickly. I know many people mid-20s to mid-30s who read YA. My mother is actually mid-50s and enjoys YA books from time to time.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I feel that at this point in my life I am moving away from young adult fiction. Moving to college and being on my own I can not relate with many of the characters any more in young adult fiction. The only genre that I am ok reading is fantasy because it focus more on the plot then the characters development. I also think that has I grow my reading style has grown with me and I have become a more critic reader that looks beyond the surface to see the true themes in novels. Has of right now I a going towards new adult but I think I will always read young adult novels.
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I mostly read young adult books rather than new adult books. YA typically has interesting and unusual plots that grab my attention. The new adult books, that I've read or looked at, have all been romances.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I mostly read YA.
There's probably been one book there somewhere which was NA, but YA is what I look for normally.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I read both. I always thought of myself as mostly YA, but then there were some books that crossed over into NA that I still really enjoyed. One such series for me was the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. I like NA because they don't shy away from sensitive topics as much. I hate those YA novels where the characters have sex, but it's described in such a "poetic" or "not-trying-to-be-sexual" way that it becomes utterly annoying. I think that books should either one or the other.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”