Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Re: Do you read New Adult or Young Adult fiction?

Post by Amber Nichole »

I take it New Adult almost exclusively contains heavy romantic and/or sexual themes? I think as a genre, I would be interested in investigating it. I do read a LOT of YA, but I'm at that point in my life where I feel kind of self-conscious about it. I do stray into other genres because I get tired of the YA cliches sometimes, but I always come back. I suppose I like the emotions and identity building of the YA genre; I also like the fact that YA novels aren't terribly sexually explicit. I don't mind a few smutty scenes (I absolutely LOVE Laurell K Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series), but I don't indulge in it often. If there are "New Adult" novels that are light on the sexual encounters, I might be inclined to pick a few up.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I would prefer reading a book titled Young Adult Fiction. It is my favorite genre along with fantasy and romance.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I prefer Young Adult because the audience it's aimed at is slightly older and focuses less on teenage drama topics. I'm not a fan of the tropes often seen in YA books so I prefer to steer clear of them.
ashtonf
Currently Reading: The Young Elites
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ashtonf »

I read YA novels. I haven't tried NA novels yet, but I think YA is more interesting than NA.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Acwoolet wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 17:22 I've never heard of "new adult" fiction before now. I think I'd probably be more likely to read it over "young adult" fiction though.
I haven't heard of that either. Sometimes I want something that is not that deep and young adult is perfect...not too deep but engaging and not too long. And besides, need to keep up with what all the kids are reading.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Most of the time I read YA and have read very few NA, though I would really like to read some more.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

sush_destiny wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 15:32 I would prefer reading a book titled Young Adult Fiction. It is my favorite genre along with fantasy and romance.
Young adult is my favorite too, especially fantasy, although I am not a huge fan of romance.
~Roxie~
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I love all YA, new or old!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I enjoy reading both! But since I'm in my mid 20s, I can relate more to the new adult genre.

To be honest, I don't shy away from any of them. I'd like to read and discover new books all the time. The only two genres that are really not for me are sci-fi and historical fiction.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

books_andpoetri wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 22:37 I enjoy reading both! But since I'm in my mid 20s, I can relate more to the new adult genre.

To be honest, I don't shy away from any of them. I'd like to read and discover new books all the time. The only two genres that are really not for me are sci-fi and historical fiction.
I'm the same! I'm in my early twenties so I relate more to new adult but I also really enjoy reading YA as well, specifically YA fantasy or dystopian.
books_andpoetri

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 10:28
books_andpoetri wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 22:37 I enjoy reading both! But since I'm in my mid 20s, I can relate more to the new adult genre.

I'm the same! I'm in my early twenties so I relate more to new adult but I also really enjoy reading YA as well, specifically YA fantasy or dystopian.
Sounds great! I'm not a fan of dystopian stories though, can you recommend some? 😁
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:

books_andpoetri wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 23:04

Sounds great! I'm not a fan of dystopian stories though, can you recommend some? 😁
I really enjoyed 'The 100' series by Kass Morgan and 'The Hunger Games' by Susanne Collins - they're probably my favourites. But here are some other famous ones:
1. The Giver Series by Lois Lowry
2. Divergent Series by Veronica Roth
3. The Maze Runner Series by Matt Dashner
4. Legend Series by Marie Lu
5. Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
books_andpoetri

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 09:53

I really enjoyed 'The 100' series by Kass Morgan and 'The Hunger Games' by Susanne Collins - they're probably my favourites. But here are some other famous ones:
Oh some of these sound familiar! Thanks 😊
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:

books_andpoetri wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 23:28
HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 09:53

Oh some of these sound familiar! Thanks 😊
Let me know what you think when you've read them! I would seriously recommend you try 'The 100' it was one of my favourite series!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I haven't read many NA books, though I believe it's sometimes interesting to read about the more graphic details that don't quite make it into YA books -- I have a terrible fascination with the gore and the darker side of human nature, and YA books gloss over those most of the time.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”