Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Post by Reema Aydieh »

It sounds like an interesting fantasy book with a lot of supernatural abilities. I couldn’t help but feel like the way Carly and Adam met is similar to twilights.
“Just keep swimming.”
Suwindra D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Suwindra D »

I like Carly's character that works well with Adam, Adam has a great character. I like the story. Reminds me of my past, thanks to the author. The book is so good that I like reading.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I love young adult novels. Reading about Adam and Carly would be delightful. Thank you for your review.
Nadine20lu
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Nadine20lu »

Fantastic review!! What a nice story line about the Russian descendants with a biokenretic abilities, I will definitely add to my shelf.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounded like an intriguing story, but after reading the sample, this book starts off very dark. It was too emotionally disturbing for a young adult book in my opinion. Thanks for your review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I want to know how Adam is different from others. It seems that this story has commendable character development.
Thank you for the review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Mihiri Wasana Mohottala
Currently Reading: Cut Yourself a Break
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihiri-wasana-mohottala.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Mihiri Wasana Mohottala »

Opaque by Calix Leigh - Reign is a fantasy novel. Calix is a mutant known as descendants. Those are passing down from generation to generation. He become a troubled boy. When he found Carly he got to know that she’s also the same. They fell in love with each other. It’s a good book.
Dominique M 5
Currently Reading: Mirrored Sword Part One
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominique-m-5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Dominique M 5 »

I read the sample for this novel and the review is spot on. Adam seems like he is a troubled teen that is coming into these "powers". The way that it is written seems dark and moody. I enjoyed the sample and am excited to read on to see what happens with Adam and Carly!
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

This Sci-Fi fantasy novel that entails mutated Limbal rings, Russian ancestry, and romance comes across as a superhero story to the likes of Xmen. I love the storyline and the fact that the author does a great job writing the various characters, as well as the twists at the end. Thanks for the review!
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

christinac_2585 wrote: 14 May 2017, 15:57 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first installment in the Scion Saga, Opaque, by Calix Leigh-Reign is a YA Sci-Fi fantasy novel that entails mutated Limbal rings, Russian ancestry, and romance. Calix creates a mesmerizing tale with mutated humans, called descendants, which have biokenretic abilities. These abilities are a mutation in their biology that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Opaque is based in Piure, California where 16-year old Adam just went through his biokenretic change because of puberty. He is a troubled boy with even further disturbing thoughts that surround his mother and thinks that everyone at school are nothing but droids. When Carly Whit walks into Adam’s English classroom, it was like everything else disappeared. The inside of his chest starts vibrating, and he can smell the most amazing scent of cinnamon apple. As soon as he locks eyes with Carly, he knows that she’s different. Their romance saves him from his destructive nature and teaches Adam that he’s mutated. But what happens when Adam learns he is different and there are people out there trying to destroy or take the very mutation he just found out he has?

The author does a great job writing Adam’s character. The thoughts he has in the book sound just like any other 16-year old boy. Carly’s character works well with Adam because she’s calm and collected. I feel like Carly is the yin to Adam’s yang. I like how the descendants are from seven Russian families and throughout history have had a common enemy, the Iksha, which are scientists that want the supernatural abilities that the descendants have.

I found a couple of misspelled words, but it did not take away from the story. I honestly could not put this book down. Calix does an excellent job with the plot and the twists at the end. The world she draws you into is unique but at the same time reasonably normal. The characters in this book not only deal with the mutation that they have, but love, stress, and going to work and school to name a few. I was reading about the different powers that each descendant has, and all I could think about were superheroes and X-Men. In my opinion, this book is up there with the best in its genre.

I rate Opaque a 4 out of 4 stars. Even though there were a couple of misspellings, I could not give this book any less than 4 stars. The storyline flows easily and is a page-turner. This book is in the YA genre, but if you are an adult and love a sci-fi fantasy with superhero traits than I would suggest this book for you. Adam, Carly, and the descendant’s story continues in the second installment, Split Adam.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like christinac_2585's review? Post a comment saying so!
The summary of this review is well crafted, without reading the book I have already gotten the basics. However, Adams and Carly’s love is worth reading about. It would be also cool to learn more about the seven Russian descendants. This a great review. Thanks for such a splendid work
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Georgina Rossi
Currently Reading: Secrets the Walkers Keep
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Georgina Rossi »

I really didn't think I'd like or appreciate this book. I read only the sample but was so engaged I bought it to finish the story.

It's sorta sci-fi but in a way that it's current to "our life" here, difficult to exactly describe. Adam's character is somewhat disturbing due to his obsession with Jo, his mother, such that he eschews all other humans - he refers to them as "animals." I admire the author's writing style and use of adjectives. I took a class in semantics in 7th grade and it seems like Calix did the same. :lol: Very purposeful wordage and vocabulary. I can't wait to finish the book.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

This looks like an interesting story about young people with special abilities thanks to a biological mutation. I consider it an ideal book for young adults and adults who enjoy fantasy and sci-fi. However, this isn't my genre so I'll pass. Anyway, thank you for this detailed review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sci fi isn’t a common read for me but this sounds like it would be a really interesting book. I’m anxious to find out more about Adams character. This just may be the right book for me . Thanks for the great review and congrats on the BOTD
Emerizx
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emerizx.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Emerizx »

It feels bad when appeared differently from others but with the help of love and and encouragement, one can achieve their dream. Kudos to the BOTD.
Adebola Adigun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adebola Adigun »

Thank you for the review. It actually activate a passion to read this book where you see character with supernatural powers yet living in a normal set up like school. I will go for this.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”