Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Post by christinac_2585 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first installment in the Scion Saga, Opaque, by Calix Leigh-Reign is a YA Sci-Fi fantasy novel that entails mutated Limbal rings, Russian ancestry, and romance. Calix creates a mesmerizing tale with mutated humans, called descendants, which have biokenretic abilities. These abilities are a mutation in their biology that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Opaque is based in Piure, California where 16-year old Adam just went through his biokenretic change because of puberty. He is a troubled boy with even further disturbing thoughts that surround his mother and thinks that everyone at school are nothing but droids. When Carly Whit walks into Adam’s English classroom, it was like everything else disappeared. The inside of his chest starts vibrating, and he can smell the most amazing scent of cinnamon apple. As soon as he locks eyes with Carly, he knows that she’s different. Their romance saves him from his destructive nature and teaches Adam that he’s mutated. But what happens when Adam learns he is different and there are people out there trying to destroy or take the very mutation he just found out he has?

The author does a great job writing Adam’s character. The thoughts he has in the book sound just like any other 16-year old boy. Carly’s character works well with Adam because she’s calm and collected. I feel like Carly is the yin to Adam’s yang. I like how the descendants are from seven Russian families and throughout history have had a common enemy, the Iksha, which are scientists that want the supernatural abilities that the descendants have.

I found a couple of misspelled words, but it did not take away from the story. I honestly could not put this book down. Calix does an excellent job with the plot and the twists at the end. The world she draws you into is unique but at the same time reasonably normal. The characters in this book not only deal with the mutation that they have, but love, stress, and going to work and school to name a few. I was reading about the different powers that each descendant has, and all I could think about were superheroes and X-Men. In my opinion, this book is up there with the best in its genre.

I rate Opaque a 4 out of 4 stars. Even though there were a couple of misspellings, I could not give this book any less than 4 stars. The storyline flows easily and is a page-turner. This book is in the YA genre, but if you are an adult and love a sci-fi fantasy with superhero traits than I would suggest this book for you. Adam, Carly, and the descendant’s story continues in the second installment, Split Adam.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like christinac_2585's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it is right up my alley! I love young adult sci/fi books. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
christinac_2585

Thank you. When I was reading the book I would get mad that everyday life was getting in the way because this book was so good. I would suggest you try it and if you like it the second book should be coming out soon, and the third will be out in 2018.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like an interesting read! I like how the characters seem relatable since they still have to deal with school, work, etc. Great job on the review! :D
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
christinac_2585

ZenaLei7 wrote:This seems like an interesting read! I like how the characters seem relatable since they still have to deal with school, work, etc. Great job on the review! :D
Thank you :)
- Anna Quindlen
booklover2004
Currently Reading: Sadie's Highlander
Bookshelf Size: 516
Reading Device: B00D02AHEO

Post by booklover2004 »

Great review, I love it when authors of a YA genre actually make the characters sound their age. My daughter might actually like this book. Thanks for the information. :D
christinac_2585

Glad I could help booklover2004. It does talk about sex in the book but nothing really graphic. Just wanted to let you know.
- Anna Quindlen
booklover2004
Currently Reading: Sadie's Highlander
Bookshelf Size: 516
Reading Device: B00D02AHEO

Post by booklover2004 »

christinac_2585 wrote:Glad I could help booklover2004. It does talk about sex in the book but nothing really graphic. Just wanted to let you know.
Thanks for the heads up :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I feel like this could be a potentially great movie. Thanks.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an exciting read! I agree that it would make a great movie because of the premise of the story and the characters. This book will definitely attract many readers.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
christinac_2585

Thank you for reading!!
- Anna Quindlen
pobox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pobox »

YA is not mine genre but this seems like an interesting read. Great review.
christinac_2585

Thank you for reading!
- Anna Quindlen
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Supernatural tale revolving around mutated humans with biokenretic abilities sounds great! I am not fond of superheroes tales, but this one sounds unique. That the characters not only deal with their mutation but also with mundane issues is an asset to the tale. It does sound like it would make a great movie. Does it stand on is own?
Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book seems to be the unique YA science-fiction novel that I have been looking for! If the plot is interesting enough, I will be able to easily overlook any spelling errors and enjoy the story. Adam also seems to be a sympathetic main character. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”