Featured Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign [February 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy fan, although I've never really read or scene any mutation-based fiction in this genre before. Regardless, the concept intrigues me, especially the possible exploration of themes such as outsiders finding comfort and community with each another. Thank you for the review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I can't wait to sit down with this one. Sounds like it is right up my alley.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds like a great book about coming of age. Congrats on the review. I'd enjoy it I think.
toyinafolalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toyinafolalu.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by toyinafolalu »

I love the aspect of romance between Adams and Carly.I also like the historical aspect of descendants from seven Russian families but the supernatural element has put me off.This review is succintly great.Congrats to the author on BOTD.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

Currently, I am chasing after new experiences. For me this one would definitely be one of them, having previously passed on any YA Sci-Fi fantasy. Adam and Carly's romance is something am looking forward to reading about. Your review puts this book into perspective, thanks. Hoping to enjoy it as much as you did.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

That was a really good review. It makes me want to read the rest of the book after reading a sample. I do like science fiction and YA books could also be fun. I like how relatable the characters are. This could easily be a show or a movie. I'm sure it's a really popular book. Thanks for your review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love YA/fantasy/sci-fi, so it is likely that I will enjoy this book. Not a huge fan of the romance genre, but it sounds like that is secondary. The review made me wonder if the style was formulaic, or a little bit more real to life, even though the genre isn't.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

This YA Sci-Fi fantasy novel entailing mutated Limbal rings, Russian ancestry, and romance is a great premise. I love it that it's a page turner with twists of plot. I'll probably check this one out. Thanks for this review.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a unique story in young adult fiction. Adam mutation during puberty makes it a good science fiction lovers. Though it's not for me.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Adam and Carly's story seems interesting and unique bringing an aspect of mutation to explain their strange attraction to each other. This a story I will want to delve into more.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I do not enjoy reading science fiction and all too often these books are quite predictable. Thanks for the great review.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Since I enjoy YA novels, I'll probably be reading this one. Besides, I usually read Young Adult's books with a female lead character, so it would be nice to change things a little and have a male's perspective. Thank you for the review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Young adult novels of the science fiction genre still have special a place in my heart but because the review says that it so much resembles X-Men, I'll have to pass. The cover is quite catchy though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ugh. I hate the “this romance will fix such and such person” trope, to be honest. I’ll sill give this book a shot and start it, but I don’t know if I’ll be reading the whole thing. Thanks for writing a review!
Adegboyega
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adegboyega »

I love any sci-fi story,the writter did a great job. It shows how one can tame its defects. Kudos to the reviewer.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”