Official Review: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody by AA Freda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Official Review: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody by AA Freda

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Thank you for this awesome review. The sample pages left me wanting more and I’m looking forward to seeing how the the characters deal with life I the Bronx.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I can easily see myself becoming uncomfortable while reading this because of the sex scenes, but your review is encouraging. Spike sounds interesting and I'd love to learn more about his relationship with Joey. Furthermore, it sounds like there are some pretty important issues that this book handles, so reading it is going to be quite a journey.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Thanks for your interesting review. The book sounds highly relateable in terms of the immigration, fitting in, bullying, sexual curiousity etc...but I do wonder what the tragedy might be....
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I liked that you laid out one by one which characters you liked and what made them fascinating in the book. I wouldn't have sampled this book but I guess I would probably add this to my TBR. Thanks for your review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
felix20-onkangi
Favorite Author: Richard L. Haight
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 68867

Post by felix20-onkangi »

Amazing indeed the book try to give an image of reality among many challenges youths in the world undergoes such as sex,physical abuse.The book captivates me a lot because as I continue reading it bring much sense.I felt I was the character because somehow some made me reminisce challenges I faced personally hence Joey played what I faced some years ago.Thumbs up.
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

Reading the sample of the book reminded me of anime. It sounds like it could be a good anime. The review made me think otherwise. I think though that young adults and adults alike could benefit from the story in spite of the graphic language and descriptive sex scenes.
SummerWine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summerwine.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by SummerWine »

I think Spike is a fascinating character. The whole book sounds interesting and worth reading. Thank you for your great review!
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I'm curious to know how much of Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody by AA Freda will resonate with Millenials and Gen Z. The youth of the '60s pushed the boundaries of personal freedoms and civil liberties. They also bore the brunt of the Vietnam War. The youth today are living in a much different world where America is recalibrating its role in the world and is polarized on issues of migration, and a host of social and financial security and insecurities. They live in the world of social media, artificial intelligence, augmented and virtual realities which have profoundly changed how the youth see their place in the world, how they form relationships and design their identities. Having read the Amazon summary and Amagine's review, I wonder if there are echoes of Stand By Me or The Outsiders, where an alpha male unexpectedly exhibits a sensitive, interesting dimension to his personality and is idolized by a younger, beta boy in need of "mentoring" and protection to become cool and tough in the world of bullies. Is it nostalgic or a reflection of the saying, "While many things change, many stay the same."
-Bookworming-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by -Bookworming- »

YA book with perfect combination of what happens in day to day life of teens. Sounds like an amazing read evn thoigh the graphics are a bit too much but I can still consider reading it because the story sounds good in your review.
Thank You For Your Review :D
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the teen themes discussed in this YA novel. I think the examples shared of teens messing themselves up will be an important lesson to others. Thanks for your review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The author narrates life in the Bronx through the eyes of an Italian immigrant. The story touches on issues that affect teens and young adults, among them drugs and sex. The diverse characters have multiple perspectives that enrich the plot.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

Although I am all for a realistic coming-of-age story, I am also a bit wary of a novel that has a fifteen-year-old introducing a thirteen-year-old to sex as a major plot point of the story.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

Although I am all for a realistic coming-of-age story, I am also a bit wary of a novel that has a fifteen-year-old introducing a thirteen-year-old to sex as a major plot point of the story.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like the reviewer's viewpoint on how the 4 of 4 stars was arrived at despite personal issues. The contemporary YA teen book about immigrants and nostalgia is a great and interesting story and great topic.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I remember myself as a teen and do look forward to when my kids reach that stage. With a book like this there is so much info to be gleaned from by parents that can teach them a thing or two. Candid review. Kudos.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”