Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Post by MerryLove »

published: January 31st, 2017 by Flatiron Books

pages: 416

genre: YA fantasy

series: Book 1 of 2

This was such a great book. I flew through the pages, getting wrapped up in the story. It felt like a mix between the first time I entered the magical world of Harry Potter and the intense rush of the game found in Ready Player One. I loved it, and there were only a few minor flaws.

Brief Summary from Goodreads:

“Caraval is Magic. Mystery. Adventure. And for Scarlett and her beloved sister Tella it represents freedom and an escape from their ruthless, abusive father.

When the sisters' long-awaited invitations to Caraval finally arrive, it seems their dreams have come true. But no sooner have they arrived than Tella vanishes, kidnapped by the show's mastermind organiser, Legend.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But nonetheless she quickly becomes enmeshed in a dangerous game of love, magic and heartbreak. And real or not, she must find Tella before the game is over, and her sister disappears forever.”

Things I liked:

1.) The premise of the story is about two sisters that strive to protect each other at all costs. I loved that the underlying premise was more about family than a lonely teen looking for a boyfriend.

2.) Caraval felt so magical. After reading the book I wouldn't personally want to go there, but the world that Caraval exists in was done so well. I was so swept away.

3.) There is so much action and adventure and suspense! Caraval is a game, and learning the rules of the game and figuring out how to continue on was very well done.

4.) The ending was an utter surprise. It actually threw me off a little and I had to really think about it and process it. It fit well with the story and made me long for a second read of the book. It makes it one of those books that you can glean more from on further readings.

Things I Didn't Like:

1.) I was a little disappointed to see this thrilling, game based story built on the bond of two sisters quickly turn into a romance story about the main character. The romance wasn't necessarily bad, and was good development and growth for the character, but there was just too much of it. Eventually the romance became more central to the story than the game itself did.

2.) There was a particular romance trope present that I loathe to see in books. “You lied to me! Now I must be distraught and never speak to you again,; that is, until I forgive you in the near future!” Insert eye roll here.

3.) When it came to the characters feelings, there was a lot of telling vs showing in the writing. I realize that it shortened the story somewhat, but these moments were sprinkled throughout the book and kept pulling me out of the story. I'd be completely immersed in the world and what was happening, and then suddenly I was yanked back to reality by the character telling me how she feels. It didn't make the story any less good, but it easily could have been great.

4.) The lead up to a sequel wasn't necessary. I'm a bit torn about it, actually. On one hand, I'm excited for more story. On the other, I felt that the completeness of Caraval as a stand alone suddenly became a little less complete.

Rating

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4, and I would recommend anyone fond of fantasy reads it at least once. It really is worth the hype. I know I will be reading this book and its sequel many more times to come.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I love your outlook on the book. I too agree that the romance got in the way of the game. It's something that I see in a lot of books, there is always a romance and it's something that I have needed to get over and look past, sometimes it's just not possible.

The game itself was very good. The twists all through the book was just something else entirely. Speaking back on the romance side, I think that the book would have been better if there was less romance and more about the game. I sort of had a feel for the atmosphere, but I feel like there are pieces missing that I'm just not able to fill in myself. Options: The book could have been longer, but I felt it was decent, not too long, not too short. Another option, leave out some of the romance and give more to the twisty game being played.

As for the second book, there was a finish to the book as a whole and yet she decided to add in a piece of information making you want more and leading you to a second book. Where the book could have ended and been great, I am excited for more. I just hope that the game is a little more pronounced given we already have a base for the romance.

Great review!
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I've heard really good things about this book and I am dying to read it! This just confirmed that it is a must-read for me.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
MeredithLG
Currently Reading: The Mists Of Avalon
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by MeredithLG »

You had me at "Harry Potter." I JUST this evening was recommended this by Goodreads, and while they typically are pretty good about recommending things, I was a little reticent to dive into this as it seems a tad "Hunger Games-y" and, (while I LUUURRV me some Katniss Everdeen) one series is enough.

This was also on my To Read list, but since your review I think I am going to have to swing by the library (again) this week and see if they have it.

Thanks for the glowing review! :D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the review. The book is on my reading list and I was wondering whether to read it. It sounds like something I would like.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

So glad to find a thread on this book! Just started it, but already sucked into the premise of the story. Also, I'm book-nerding a bit over how lovely this book is in hardback.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read the book awhile ago and loved it!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Unbreakablespines
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Unbreakablespines »

I personally loved this book! I thought it was original. I heard a lot of people comparing it to "Night Circus," but I haven't read that one personally. Everyone said that "Night Circus" was better. Any opinions?
Ash and Stars
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-and-stars.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Ash and Stars »

This book was intriguing, and though it did have some faults (I thought it had too many twists toward the end) I look forward to the second book coming out :D
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

I read this book recently and loved it. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

This book has been on my radar for quite some time. It is good to know that there are few flaws and so many people like it.

I may have to bump it up on my TBR list!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I love this book! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to read Legendary. I heard so many great things about it too.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I dislike how so many YA focus so heavily on Romance. Seeing that you mentioned the romance take a prominent role in this book makes me a bit more hesitant to read it...but still might give it a try in the future.
Gionadecina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gionadecina »

This book was really good 5/5
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh man, that trope. That's enough to make me wary of a book, but the game aspect has me deeply interested in how this would go down and what the real world consequences are.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”