The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stephalee4
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

Post by stephalee4 »

I picked up this book because I read and enjoyed Article 5 by Kristen Simmons a few years previously. My first impressions were that the story was your typical post-Apocalyptic young adult story, however I then began to worry about it's somewhat graphic nature to the young adult scene. The story is partly based on The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood where the women in the society are treated as personal property by the men and only seen as material for their personal pleasure and breeding. While nothing explicit is ever truly written there is much alluding to sexual acts. True, the teenage years are rife with such things for most people, but if you were raised in a Christian or sheltered household the content of this book might take you slightly by surprise. Overall, I would give the story 3 of 5 stars though because of it's underlying message of self-sacrifice and because it isn't another post-Apocalyptic, YA trilogy rife with a love triangle.
Xioc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Xioc »

The glass arrow by Kristen Simmons is a truly different book from what I've read. In the book it portrays that main character as a strong and independent girl who has to make it in a relatively disturbing environment. I feel that along the journey through each chapter, the character development is quite noticeable and satisfying. This book will definitely put some people through many emotions such as confusion, desperation, curiosity, hurt and awe. I thought that the story showed how horrible the people were in it too. Forcing women and young girls to look beautiful for a morally sinful reason and giving them the idea that women don't have to do anything but look pretty and listen to their owners. The main character showed that she doesn't follow the crowd and kneel to higher command.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”