Lessons from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- SPOILERS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Lessons from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- SPOILERS

Post by Christinabooklover »

Harry Potter series have an important place on my bookshelf. Goblet of fire has many messages and I agree with you.All the series are educational in away. However it was not my favourite in the series. I am more of a prisoner of the Azcaban girl. I believe it was the first in the hp world with a darker more adult content. It is worth mentioning that in Goblet of Fire we have a good glimpse of how the society of wizards work.
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I agree with your analysis of the lessons learned from the series. Some people think that HP is silly or don't understand my obsession with it, but, you are right to say that one can learn a lot of lessons from this series.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

1.It's not easy living with people who aren't your parents. This is the first lesson that stares in the face when you read Harry Potter and his life with the dursleys. The same thing often occurs in the society when children live with guardians/relatives who mistreat them.

2.Appreciate your parents and the love they give you. Harry longs for his parents so much that he sees them standing next to him when he looks into the mirror that shows you what you most desire at hogwarts. In life those who have parents take them for granted many times not knowing how important they are. While those without parents always wish they had them.

3. Value your friends and choose them carefully. Harry is a great example of people who fight not just for what they want (his struggles to free himself from the dursleys and get back to hogwarts lol) but also for his friends even if it means putting himself in danger (saving fleur's little sister when he didn't have to). I have yet to find someone of this kind in my life but if they exist then, they are very few and should be held onto with everything you have in you.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I remember the first time I read the book, I was constantly checking the cover to see if it was actually a Potter book! It was so dark from the start! It definitely marked a departure from the kid-friendlier previous books.

I really liked the lessons you took away from the book! I'm 100% in agreement.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

Lissy_1992 wrote: 03 Jan 2017, 17:50 Having read all of the books in the Harry Potter series, I know and love them well. As the series goes on, I feel that they progress in content into some pretty dark scenes. In comparison, the earlier books of the series feel sweet and almost juvenile in their themes and adventures.

The Goblet of Fire was when I really realised that there was no going back. The loss of innocence from Cedric Diggory's death marked that book in my mind. No-one was safe just because they belonged to Hogwarts. Evil could, and would, get in. It was just a matter of time, preparation and courage.

This book is also one of the main books in the series that stands out for me for a different reason: the many messages we can relate to, learn from and apply into our own, real world. Granted, J.K Rowling is phenomenal at incorporating this throughout all her books, but I feel that the Goblet of Fire shows great examples at a key turning point in the overall journey of the series. These messages are clear to a reader should they step back for a moment and contemplate, without just getting carried along in the drama of it all. Here a just a few of those.

1. People are not always as they appear. This one seems blatantly obvious, yet it is well worth noting. Harry was told that Mad-Eye Moody was a trusted Auror, and so he was, but the man he thought to be Moody turned out to be the evil Barty Crouch Jnr. Lesson: do not always assume you know someone.

2. Not everyone is grateful for being saved. In the book, Hermione is furiously fighting for the rights and freedom of house elves. This takes time, devotion and dedication. However, when she succeeds and provides freedom for Mr Crouch's house elf Winky, she responds with hostility and a distinct lack of gratitude.

3. Everybody has an important role, no matter who you are. In the book, Dobby the house elf overhears a conversation about Gillyweed and its benefits so provides Harry with some in preparation for the Triwizard Tournament underwater task. Ok, it turns out that this was a purposefully staged conversation by Barty Crouch Jnr to ensure Harry wins, but this doesn't deny Dobby's role in Harry's success. A meek, mere house elf can do great things with the right intentions.

4. Helping others is always right, but doesn't always guarantee a happy ending. As Cedric and Harry both reached the cup at the same time, marking them both heroes of the Triwizard Tournament, they both agreed to touch the cup together, signifying joint winners. Unfortunately, this also meant that when the cup became the portkey to the graveyard that Barty Crouch Jnr had organised, Cedric was taken along too, ended up 'a spare' and was instantly murdered by Voldemort. Sadly, if Harry hadn't agreed to share first place, Cedric would probably still be alive. This was when I feel J.K.Rowling delivered the sobering message that courage and integrity doesn't always win, but you must persevere anyway.

As I said, this marks but a few of the many messages embedded within, but that is for you other readers to explore...
Some of the points that you've said here I hadn't even thought of but are actually incredibly important. Number two I had always thought related to the Harry Potter books but I had never specifically linked it to Winky. Thanks for the insights!
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

No matter how many times I read GOF, I always hope it will end differently. Great review. It really captures how I feel about this book too.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Thanks for this post. I learned many things from reading Harry Potter books. They are valuable even for adults as much as they are for children.
Jaewe2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaewe2 »

CatlynnHighlights wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 12:33 This is part of why I love Harry Potter books so much. Despite them often being called children's books (I appreciated that this was considered for young adults), Harry Potter books have lessons for all ages. The Goblet of Fire is my favorite Harry Potter book because they're really focusing on something other than school.
I agree, instead they are focusing on a new concept of the tri-wizard tournament and not quiddich the entire book.. and they finally introduce voldemort in his final form.
GingerKat
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerkat.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by GingerKat »

I couldn't agree more. I have read this series countless times and everytime I learn something new.

I think the most important lesson I've learned from the entire series is that good always prevails and that staying positive and asking for support and help is not wrong. It is something that everyone has to do at some point.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Some really interesting lessons there. What stood out for me in Goblet was the teenage angst they began experiencing. The Yule ball to get a date, and the Krum fangirls brought the point home that they were growing up and experiencing feelings, especially with Ron and Hermione.
This can also the into the point concerning loss of innocence.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

JK Rowling's Harry Potter series are full of life lessons and I love everything about them. The Goblet of Fire in particular is when Harry and crew cross the border into adulthood at too young of an age.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

lwahls2 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 20:47 JK Rowling's Harry Potter series are full of life lessons and I love everything about them. The Goblet of Fire in particular is when Harry and crew cross the border into adulthood at too young of an age.
I totally agree! For me I saw this book as the centre with the three before being more childlike and the final three being more adult and intense.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I totally agree with you. Especially the last point. It was devastating to see Harry blame himself for the death of Cedric at the end of the book.
Ambar Sinha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ambar Sinha »

I like it sooo much that I read this part more than a 100 times and I have read the whole book 10 times.. I could suggest that you could change the first chapter.. I ordered the book online and when I first read the first chapter I thought it was a different book and when I stepped upon the word Lord Voldemort or The Dark Lord I realised It was Harry Potter......
Kayla Carnicle
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Kayla Carnicle »

How come they say Harry saw his parents died (which they did because of Voldemort) but when he gets to Hogwarts he doesn't learn about these Thestral until fourth grade. He gets to see these death like horses until he saw voldemort kill Cedric. I don't get it. It is my favorite book in the series and the third movie is my favirite.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”