Gregor the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GoodBooksGoodReviews
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodbooksgoodreviews.html

Gregor the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins

Post by GoodBooksGoodReviews »

I loved the Hunger Games series, but the first book series I read by this author was the Gregor the Overlander series. A young boy and his sister fall down a grate into a magnificent and terrifying world below. Filled with gigantic sized creatures, a subterranean race of humans and a prophecy that somehow the boy Gregor is the savior of, Gregor the Overlander series is filled to the brim with adventure, intrigue, betrayal, self-discovery, and the greatest cast of characters ever created! *WARNING* Suzanne Collins is known for her gory writing and Gregor the Overlander series is no exception. The gore gets progressively worse through the series.
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

Oh I loved the series. I especially loved how she treated the prophecies. Without giving too much away, she DOESN'T treat them as gospel. Some of the characters are whole hearted believers and some are serious skeptics, and it adds a lovely layer to realism in a story with giant talking bats, cockroaches, rats, and spiders.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I absolutely love this series! I'm glad I saw this post because I am planning on re-reading these this year. I remember my teacher convinced me to read it since it was on the Scholastic reading list. I wasn't too excited about it, since it wasn't what I usually read. After reading the first book to this outstanding series, I was hooked. I have really changed the type of books that I love after this series. Suzanne Collins does not disappoint!!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I haven't even heard of these probably because the Hunger Games is SO popular. It's something I definitely should look up!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I have only read the first book of this series, but from all the positive reviews, I will continue reading the series. The first book was amazing, with heartbreaking moments. I hope the books that follow are as great as the first one.
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I really want to read this series! Suzanne is such a great writer, I wish she would come out with more books!
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

sophiemer642 wrote:I have only read the first book of this series, but from all the positive reviews, I will continue reading the series. The first book was amazing, with heartbreaking moments. I hope the books that follow are as great as the first one.

I also have only read the first one. It was really good, and I keep meaning to get back to reading them. I'm sure the remainder of the series will be just as good.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

GoodBooksGoodReviews wrote:I loved the Hunger Games series, but the first book series I read by this author was the Gregor the Overlander series. A young boy and his sister fall down a grate into a magnificent and terrifying world below. Filled with gigantic sized creatures, a subterranean race of humans and a prophecy that somehow the boy Gregor is the savior of, Gregor the Overlander series is filled to the brim with adventure, intrigue, betrayal, self-discovery, and the greatest cast of characters ever created! *WARNING* Suzanne Collins is known for her gory writing and Gregor the Overlander series is no exception. The gore gets progressively worse through the series.
I never noticed that these had the same author! How is that possible?? I really loved the first two in the series and just recently picked it up to read again. I remember thinking that I wouldn't recommend the series to just any Young person, but there were many who would absolutely love it!
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

I love this series! I found them while researching Suzanne Collins after reading her Hunger Games trilogy and I like them almost as much. Suzanne Collins really is a fantastic writer. I haven't read them in a while...might need to pick them up again to refresh! :)
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

I'd forgotten about this series. I only ever read the first book - my sister had got it one way or another and this was well before Hunger Games was a thing. But I remember quite enjoying it... Will ask her if she finished the series, and if she's still got it, I'll have to borrow the first book and read again!

Thanks for bringing back an old memory!! :) your post has actually reminded me what was so good about the first book too.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I read this series and was positively surprised, it is completely different from Hunger Games but very good on it's own right. I had my fears if something as disgusting as bugs and critters can fill up a good plot, but I even teared up at places.
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

To be completely honest with you I had no idea she wrote anything other than the Hunger Games trilogy! I'll definitely have to look into this series!
cc_oreos1521
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by cc_oreos1521 »

I absolutely LOVED this series! Suzanne Collins has such an amazing imagination and knack for writing about other-worldly things. The Gregor The Overlander series takes place below our world, which makes the reader believe its possible that there IS another land just below our feet. Collins creates such a vivid picture of the characters, that you begin to form a connection with them. I felt as though I was there with Gregor throughout his adventures. It is by far one of the best series' I've read!
BethOLee
Currently Reading: Burn Bright
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by BethOLee »

I read this series before I had heard of The Hunger Games and was hooked. I grabbed the first book and bought the entire series after it. To me, it was about love and honor. She created a wonderful alternative realty and created interesting good and bad characters. I always wanted to know what was going to happen next but at the same time did not want it to end. Bittersweet.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

I love reading YA books. Thanks for the review, it's sparked my interest into reading them all. Funny enough I have read the first book of the series. Its been a while though, so I will have to read again and then look for the rest of the series.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”