My Lady Jane by Hand, Ashton and Meadows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
little_wonderland
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-wonderland.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

My Lady Jane by Hand, Ashton and Meadows

Post by little_wonderland »

Summary:
My Lady Jane is a YA historical retelling with more creatice approach. It's set during a short reign of King Edward VI (son of Henry VIII). He was succeded by Lady Jane Grey (according to history only for 9 days) and then by Queen Mary (better known as Bloody Mary). During this period there was a religious dispute between Protestants and Catholics. However, in this book, it's between Ethians, people who have a magical ability to turn to an animal, and Verities, people without such ability. Jane is engaged to Gifford Dudley (sorry, it's just G, he hates the name Gifford) who is an Ethain who can't control his magical ability - he is a horse by day and human by night. Now, how will our three main characters (Edward, Jane, G) cope with all their problems?

Characters:
I really love how all real historical figures remain true to their character. They all act the way a reader would imagine them to act. Let's not forget the humour! They are all so funny but can be serious too. Everyone is portrayed so realistically.
Jane Grey is relatable to every reader I think. She's like Hermione but more amusing, in my opinion. She's so protective of her books, she even set some ground rules with G. She can't ride him in his horse form, can't tell horse jokes and he, in return, can't touch her book, chew on them or put hay in them. She's pretty badass, a great planner and, overall, a female character you will love.
G, Jane's husband, is a horse. Not just because he's Ethian but his character in general is of a horse. He's tall, handsome, likes running (away). He's also a poet but he's ashamed for it, which I'm confused about. Why would he be ashamed for writing poetry?
Edward is so lovable. He's a bit of a dork at the beginning but he undergoes amazing character development.
There was a hint of a love triangle but then it just turned into friendship and family love and I'm so thankful for that. No love triangles! *yay*
Edward's sisters are just I wanted them to be. Bess (Elizabeth I) a cat person (like me! :D), she's strategic and a powerful female character. Mary (Bloody Mary) is an ass (if you read the book by any chance you might know what I'm referring to), discriminates, hates everyone, lies, she's just awful alright? But good awful because what book is without a bad guy/girl.
There are also other characters but it's hard to write about them without spoiling anything. Just be sure that they all have their place in the story.

Plot:
I can't say much without spoiling and I don't want to spoil. I can say that the story was written from 3 point of views - Jane's, G's and Edward's. I assume each author wrote one of these characters. I love how authors communicate with the reader throughout the story. The whole book is divided into 2 parts - first ("in which we revise a bit of history") and second ("in which we throw history out of the window").
I think the pacing was very good, not too quick, not too slow. I wasn't bored at all and that's important! :)

It's a shame this is a standalone and that all three authors "joined forces" to write only this book. I hope they will collaborate again because their writing is interlacing so well!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Each author did in fact write one perspective. I loved this book. Such a laugh out load story full of history and non so historical plot twists. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
etberthiaume98
Currently Reading: My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etberthiaume98.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by etberthiaume98 »

I love books that don't take themselves too seriously, and historical novels are often the most serious. However, this little ray of comedic sunshine takes history and many of its dark circumstances and throws them out the window (and tells you just as much to your face). I've heard its humor be compared to Monty Python, and I would definitely say that's accurate. I love originality and this delivered, making it one of my favorite books I've read recently.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
catlettsm
Bookshelf Size: 3490
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by catlettsm »

I heard about this book at a fall librarian conference and immediately came home and devoured it. I LOVED it! Hand, Ashton, and Meadows were able to make the tragically short reign of Lady Jane Grey funny as well as informative. The history is in there, but not shoved in your face and it is mixed with fantasy and humor. Many of my friends have said it reminds them of Monty Python as a previous poster stated but to me it has more shades of The Princess Bride (another of my all time favorites). I highly recommend this work!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I definitely enjoyed reading this book! I don't know how they did it but the writing was so seamless! I cannot wait to read the next two books and fall in love with them too.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”