Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book One of the Scion Saga, Opaque is Calix Leigh- Reign’s debut novel. A Young Adult story that beautifully intertwines Sci-Fi with mystery and a little young love.

Adam, a sixteen years old boy, struggles through his teenage years fighting an inner darkness. In the beginning, we are led to believe Adam is a sociopath. With no real friends, and dark, inappropriate thoughts towards others, he puts on a façade just to get through the day. When he meets Carly though, he notices things beginning to change, and not just inside himself, but in his surroundings as well.

Being as Carly is a new student, every student is drawn to her, wanting to be her friend. But, when she meets Adam, she is immediately drawn to him, and only cares to get to know him. Seeing who he really is, Carly has to step carefully, to choose whether to help him or avoid him and let him fall into the warped pit that is his mind.

Both, however, are forced together regardless of their feelings when their lives are put at stake by forces much greater than any could have expected. Throwing Adam into a world that he had no idea existed. Finding friends, and coming together they must battle to save those that they love or be lost in the maelstrom threatening to rock all their worlds.

Written in the first person, we are given a look through both, Carly and Adam’s eyes. More so Adam, but I felt that it was better that way in the sense that Adam is a very complex character with lots of development. By the end of the story, Adam seems like an entirely new character.

I do not have much to speak on negatively about this novel. The only thing I can mention is that the story could have done with one more run through for errors. The errors I found were easily spotted. They were not many, but it was enough to be worth mentioning.

On to the positives! From the plot line to the writing style, to the character development, it was well put together. Quite a few times, I even found myself looking up certain words as I had never seen or heard them before. I, for one, will not complain about learning some new words. The pacing was also steady, once I started reading the book, I found it difficult to put down, especially towards the end, when everything came to a head. Lastly, the character development was excellent.

As I stated before, Adam’s character saw the most growth, from a dark, twisted minded young boy; he became a strong, powerful, young man willing to go to the ends of the earth for the young women he loved and for his mother that braved it all with him. As for the other characters, they were also well rounded, and while we didn’t see as much character growth with them, it was still there.

I loved this book. From the moment I started reading I was pulled in and held tight. With that said I rate Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign a 3 out of 4 stars. I wanted to rate this book a full 4 out of 4 stars, if it hadn’t been for the errors I found, it would have been rated as such. Opaque is a book any Sci-fi reader would love and one I would certainly recommend. When her next book is released, I will certainly be checking it out.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

It's always too bad when poor editing spoils an otherwise excellent novel. Luckily it's an easy thing to fix though. Congratulations to the author on such a fantastic review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It is a shame. Opaque was still an excellent read though.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, TrishaAnn92! This sounds like such a great story. I'm already drawn to Adam with your description alone. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were still able to enjoy the read either way. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thanks hsimone! :)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Excellent review. It sounds like a very interesting book!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

rssllue wrote:Excellent review. It sounds like a very interesting book!

Thank you rssllue! :D
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are quite welcome. :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Thanks hsimone! :)
You are very welcome! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for a great review! Saddens my heart when we want to give a book 4 out of 4 stars but small errors hold it back.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A really great review. This seems like a book I might enjoy. Too bad on the errors though.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with fascinating and intriguing characters. I like the part about Carly's being new and everybody wants to be her friend. It's just so true. Too bad about the errors. Great job on the review.
Vexin
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vexin.html

Post by Vexin »

Thank you very much for the review! You gave a beautiful amount of detail without spoils :D

Errors of course are not acceptable in writing, but sometimes flawless isn't always flawless.
I've noticed that a lot of books come with errors even though editors are normally paid to prevent those issues :lol2:
Definitely added this to my want to read list!
Kenisha Hyde
Currently Reading: The forgotten kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenisha-hyde.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Kenisha Hyde »

It is a common trend in ebooks today to have spelling and other grammatical issues. For avid readers it does take away from the enjoyment of reading. Hopefully this influx of errors will be rectified in the coming years with the various technological advances that can be implemented. But great review. I am always looking for good books and I will be adding this to my list!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”