Review: Fill-in Boyfriend by Kasie West *spoilers*

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Review: Fill-in Boyfriend by Kasie West *spoilers*

Post by Vivisbooks »

This book follows the story of Gia, a popular high school senior. She gets dumped by her boyfriend in the parking lot of prom. Desprate to keep her image, finds a boy who will fill-in so she can lie to her friends.
As time goes on, Gia's fill-in boyfriend, Hayden, and her get close. Their fake dating soon causes them to develope feelings for one another.

I love how real Kasie made Gia's character. I also loved how the more time Gia spent with Hayden the more she discovers about herself, for instance how shallow she really is. I liked how she is torn from her ranking and popularity because it shows a lot more growth to her
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

Gia is excited for her friends to finally meet her boyfriend and prove he's real. Too he bad dumps her in the prom parking lot on the way in. Desperate to walk in with boyfriend in tow, Gia convinces a random guy in the parking lot to be her fill-in boyfriend for the night.

While that is an accurate description of the very beginning of the book, there is so much more to this book that. I actually loved The Fill-In Boyfriend, but not until well after the prom scene at the beginning.

Gia starts out as a rather shallow and popular senior in high school, but as the story unfolds she quickly starts to realize so many things about herself and her life that she'd been oblivious to before. At the beginning I was kind of disgusted by Gia's character and was hoping for some serious change for the sake of my reading enjoyment. It was there, and it the changes started to slowly appear from the beginning. I actually loved her character by the end. So please, don't let the beginning deter you from this one!

The fake boyfriend for Gia is dreamy, and quirky, and squeal worthy. Can I fast forward his clock a little to make him my age so we can hang out? He would make an awesome real person! I was sold on him from his entrance scene, and as the story progressed he became a better and better fit for Gia. I adored him as a character.

I also love how easy West's books are to read and get into. Even when everything isn't sunshine and roses, it's still a breeze through the park to read, and I always seem to finish one of her books with a smile on my face. My favorite books are the ones that make me feel, and I love the whole variety. I love a book that leaves me longing in suspense, I love a book that makes me cry, and I love a book that leaves me with a sigh of satisfaction. This is one of those happy books by the end.

The book as a whole focuses on the changes from a more self-centered, high school life to the reality of the real world. I think most people went through a change in school similar to the one Gia experiences, in one way or another. This brought life to the story, and that's a major part of why it was so good a read. The same story without it would have fell flat.

Rating

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a great story, a fast read, and left me in a feel good mood. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a lighthearted YA contemporary.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Taongaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taongaj.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Taongaj »

MerryLove wrote: 25 Mar 2017, 21:35 Gia is excited for her friends to finally meet her boyfriend and prove he's real. Too he bad dumps her in the prom parking lot on the way in. Desperate to walk in with boyfriend in tow, Gia convinces a random guy in the parking lot to be her fill-in boyfriend for the night.

While that is an accurate description of the very beginning of the book, there is so much more to this book that. I actually loved The Fill-In Boyfriend, but not until well after the prom scene at the beginning.

Gia starts out as a rather shallow and popular senior in high school, but as the story unfolds she quickly starts to realize so many things about herself and her life that she'd been oblivious to before. At the beginning I was kind of disgusted by Gia's character and was hoping for some serious change for the sake of my reading enjoyment. It was there, and it the changes started to slowly appear from the beginning. I actually loved her character by the end. So please, don't let the beginning deter you from this one!

The fake boyfriend for Gia is dreamy, and quirky, and squeal worthy. Can I fast forward his clock a little to make him my age so we can hang out? He would make an awesome real person! I was sold on him from his entrance scene, and as the story progressed he became a better and better fit for Gia. I adored him as a character.

I also love how easy West's books are to read and get into. Even when everything isn't sunshine and roses, it's still a breeze through the park to read, and I always seem to finish one of her books with a smile on my face. My favorite books are the ones that make me feel, and I love the whole variety. I love a book that leaves me longing in suspense, I love a book that makes me cry, and I love a book that leaves me with a sigh of satisfaction. This is one of those happy books by the end.

The book as a whole focuses on the changes from a more self-centered, high school life to the reality of the real world. I think most people went through a change in school similar to the one Gia experiences, in one way or another. This brought life to the story, and that's a major part of why it was so good a read. The same story without it would have fell flat.

Rating

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a great story, a fast read, and left me in a feel good mood. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a lighthearted YA contemporary.
It really does give you the right feels once you are done. It makes one realize that if people really want you, they won't care what others think. They will be with you. You have to love Kasie West
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Kasie West is incredible. I hadn't come across this collection of hers. I'm definitely going to give it a read!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I absolutely love, love, love this book! I am such a huge Kasie West fan! Her Pivot Point duology is another one of my favorite.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”