Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brooke_4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Post by Brooke_4 »

I read this book the first week it came out. It is written like a screen play. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though some of my friends did not. I enjoyed being able to see the characters later in life. I know many found this book a let down, but I enjoyed it a lot and some of my favorite quotes are from this book.
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

Wow this book is amazing. Me and my best friend both read it and after falling in love we had to go and see it. We got broadway tickets and drove all the way down and it was the best show ever!! Please go see it if you can you will not be dissapointed.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

It seems that the Cursed Child was meant to be viewed as a play, where the story would unfold before your eyes. Reading the screenplay was good but it's not the same. Many who have read the play have mixed reviews about it,but looking at comments online, everyone who saw the play enjoyed it.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

VSuraj wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 16:03 It seems that the Cursed Child was meant to be viewed as a play, where the story would unfold before your eyes. Reading the screenplay was good but it's not the same. Many who have read the play have mixed reviews about it,but looking at comments online, everyone who saw the play enjoyed it.
I enjoyed watching the play; it was magical and just what I would hope for in a Harry Potter play. But I didn't like the story. It changed the personalities of Harry and Hermione in a way I really didn't like. We grew up with them being heros and all of a sudden they became the bad guys? I personally didn't like that.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I read it mostly out of nostalgia. It's definitively different than the Harry Potter because of the format that looks like a script (a kind of book that I don't usually like to read).
Some people said it looks more like fan fiction than Harry Potter, and I agree. J. K. Rowling had built and amazing world, and she could have written something so much better. There was a lot for her to work with, and I was really disappointed. Something like a book telling about the Marauders when they were in Hogwarts, for example, would have been a better option for me.
pritig5

Post by pritig5 »

extremely amazing that when i started reading the book i couldn't think of anything else, i was so lost in its world that i couldn't wait for another day to finish it. although the book is centered around Albus potter but it renews the memories of the one that we lost, it feels so great to again read them. the book is filled with loots of thrill and suspense, we just can't predict whats going to happen next. after each and every chapter, it urges you to read more n more.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I was very excited when i hear it was to be going to be released but got really disappointed when I finally read it.
Vumana16
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vumana16.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vumana16 »

I read this book in a single night but frankly, I was disappointed. I love Harry Potter, especially the world it created including the various rules set on magic and "time travel". I felt like The Cursed Child threw all these rules out the window. It didn't feel like it was meant to connect with the original series.
“Even if you’ve always been that

Barely-in-the-background kind of guy

You still matter.”
Dear Evan Hansen
Val Emmich
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

To be frank, I was very disappointed. The format is like screenplay but that is definitely not the reason for my disappointment. Many characters behaved out-of-character in this book. It feels like you are reading a harry potter fan fiction rather than a book. It does have a nostalgic feeling but that's it. Harry potter universe can obviously survive without this book. I still can't make up my mind to consider it as a part of the Harry potter universe.
kangaF

Post by kangaF »

I am an ardent reader, and have loved the Harry Potter series, ever since the first book, "Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone" was published in 1997. Therefore, I admit to being a self-confessed Potterhead! I love everything about the books - from the fascinating, quirky characters, to the descriptive style of which JK Rowling wrote the stories with such vivacious streaks. From the story lines to the magical Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Godric's Hollow, and more - Ms. Rowling has got me hooked to the books for many years, and it has been one of the many delights, while growing up.
Hence, it wouldn't come as a surprise when I felt a bittersweet feeling, as soon as the 7th book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" was published in 2007.
But when there was news that there has been a play established by Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, based on JK Rowling's original story, I was enthused to read it and got a copy of it, as soon as possible.
I loved how Mr. Thorne and Mr. Tiffany made sure to write the characters, as they are from the original series, and in fact managed to "welcome them back", from where they were left off from the Deathly Hallows story. I do have to admit that both Thorne and Tiffany wrote established this book in a very different style compared to Ms. Rowling's - by writing it in a play format. And even though, it was intriguing, it did made me feel nostalgic about Ms. Rowling's style of writing. One reason would be that I was very aware while reading "Harry Potter and The Cursed Child" that this was indeed a play (as they were headers and footnotes indicating when actors came onstage, etc.). Whereas, while reading the original 7 books, I felt as if I was in on the adventure with Harry Potter and his friends.
Nevertheless, this is a book I would recommend to any Potterheads out there! It will make you miss the original characters for sure, but it will also bring these wonderful characters and their loved ones, to a full circle.
Daria S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Daria S »

I enjoyed the book even though it kinda changed the personalities of the characters. I read it in one night and it had some pretty funny scenes too. For example when I saw that Harry bought a ferret for Albus I burst out laughing because I thought about the time when Draco was turned into a ferret. Even though it could use some improvement, it's a good book :)
DianaMich
Favorite Book: Seeker 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianamich.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by DianaMich »

Was really excited for the Cursed Child book. I just read it the one time, haven't read it since. Not my favorite.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I was quite disappointed to find out the direction most of the story went in. The handling of the time travel elements and the way that many characters were portrayed just seemed completely antithetical to the way they were presented and used in the original series. I'm sure watching it on the stage would be very entertaining from a production standpoint, but storywise it just does not feel true to what came before
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

The book was definitely surprising at first. Mostly because I think we all are used to read novels, and this isn't a novel. The cursed child is the actual script for the play, which for me at the beginning was a bit unsettling. But after I read it all I actually like it. It's different than the other Harry Potter books, but it's good as well.
Saitejasai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Saitejasai »

I reading it for the third time. It is one of the greatest book I have read. It is the part of the Harry Potter series. Where dumbledore has leaved Harry at the muggle relatives. When the Harry has been growing he has faced many problems with the relatives. And when the Harry has turned to 12 years old. And then dumbledor has decided to bring back Harry to Hogwarts. When hagrid bring the Harry to Hogwarts wizardry Harry is still shocked that the world has really existed. And he believes that her parents has been murdered by the voldemort. And Harry never seen the voldemort. It was just an amazing scenes. Where he had friends. Relationship and more in the Hogwarts.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”