The Selection VS. The Mortal Instruments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: The Selection VS. The Mortal Instruments

Post by Crazyreader01 »

They are both from completely different worlds and as such, it is not possible to pick a favourite as they don't come from the same genre, topic or even theme. As a reader that will read just about anything, it's sometimes hard for me to remember the storylines and plots of some of the books that I've read, but both America's and Clary's worlds are still crystal clear in my head, which says a lot about the books. I loved the characters, the plots, the ideas, just everything really and that's quite hard for me to say.
Amyra27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyra27.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by Amyra27 »

I prefer the selection series. It is amazingly written by Kiera Cass. I really love America and Maxon's love story.
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
Lady-of-Roses
Currently Reading: Courting Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Lady-of-Roses »

I would say the TMI is my favorite because the characters are young and I am around the same age as the characters so I feel connected to them and I understand them
Books own me
Currently Reading: Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Books own me »

The Mortal instruments would be my pick. Their universe is well expanded; Cassandra Clare gets the win for me.
lace91
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lace91.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by lace91 »

The Mortal Instruments will forever be my favorite series! I love all the connections Cassandra Clare does with each family and their history that continues on throughout each of her installments. My favorite installment of hers though is the Clockwork trilogy. If you have only read these once I recommend reading each one again. You will catch little hints of the Clockwork in TMI. Not a lot of authors tend to do that.
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by starkpages »

Definitely The Mortal Instruments! Cassie Clare did not disappoint from Book 1 up to Book 6 unlike Kiera Cass in The Selection series. Let's be real, the first three books in TS are the only good ones. TMI had such complex characters, plot, and world-building. Its impact remained constant to me until the end. The Selection 4 & 5 really wasn't for me really. Still, I can say both are good series.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

The Mortal Instruments will always be a favourite for me. Although I didn't particularly agree with Cassandra Clare's decision to expand the series from a trilogy to a six-part series, I enjoyed most of the books and all the characters were well fleshed out.
Gvela827
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gvela827 »

While I loved the first 3 books of the selection series, it was more of an easy, fun read. TMI is an emotional rollercoaster with amazing world building. You just love and immerse yourself in the characters and the couples more than you’ll ever love America and Maxon.
Bookdragonwithapen

Post by Bookdragonwithapen »

*may contain spoiler if you haven’t read the entirety of both series* I feel that these two series can not be properly compared since TMI was more of an almost fantasy adventure of battling demon and summoning angles (and yes, containing much romance) while The Selection focuses more on the romance side of things while including the political battles that America, Maxon, and later in the series, their daughter must fight. Although I will admit that while I deem the series too different to compare, I was more enthralled in the world and characters of TMI then I was with The Selection. This may be due to the fact that TMI had several more books, allowing readers to see more character development and become more invested in the deeper plot.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I'm currently reading "The Mortal Instruments", nearly finished "City of Bones", which I'm finding fantastic! It's my usual type of book; fantasy with magic and some sort of fighting. I'm hoping to read "The Selection" series because I've heard such good things. My only worry is that it might be too girly for me
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Though I love "The Selection" Trilogy, I think "The Mortal Instruments" are more action-packed and more engaging. I do think these two sagas shouldn't be compared much because, though they are both YA, one is more romantic while the other one revolves more around fantasy, action, and a bit of romance too.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The mortal instruments for sure. It has taken the YA fantasy world to a whole new level.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

I've read 13 books by Cassandra Clare including the mortal instruments, infernal devices and dark artifices along with her latest release "the chain of gold". And each of her books leaves me yearning for more. She can be pretty cruel when it comes to messing couples but her books are wholesomely satisfying for me. With the right amount of humor, action, romance and everything else.
I read the first two books of the selection series a while back and it definitely did not attract me as much as TMI. When it came to setting up a post war dystopian world the book does a good job. But it did not just register the kind of impact that its accounted for.
catss
Currently Reading: Champion
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by catss »

I have started both series. The Selection Series is more romantic and dramatic than The Mortal Instruments, which is more dystopian and action-packed. I prefer dystopian novels to romance novels, so my favorite is The Mortal Instruments, but I like them both.
William Wilson
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-wilson.html
Latest Review: The VD Anthology by Various

Post by William Wilson »

The Selection was better just by a hair.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”