The Selection VS. The Mortal Instruments

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clary7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clary7.html

The Selection VS. The Mortal Instruments

Post by Clary7 »

These are both fantastic and very popular series, but which one is you favorite?
Marissa2319
Currently Reading:

Post by Marissa2319 »

So in the Selection series, America’s and Maxon’s story only really goes to book 3 and then moves to their daughters POV for the next two books. In The Mortal Instruments series, Clary’s POV is told throughout book 1-3 and it’s Simon’s POV (I’m reading book 4 right now but there are a total of 6). I guess it all depends on the details. TMI series deals with demons, downworlders (vampires, werewolves etc) and shadowhunters in the “human” world and takes place now. TS series takes place in the future after America is destroyed computers, phones and money can be rare unless you have a higher class. They haves 1s being the royal family to 8s being beggars. Both have romance, mystery, loss, adventure, and fantasy. I guess I would pick that I like the Selection series more only because I haven’t finished The Mortal Instruments series.
EmCas15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by EmCas15 »

I prefer the Selection series over the Mortal Instruments series. Both book series have depth to the characters, but I tend to find that Cassandra Clare has too much back and forth in her character relationships, which drives me crazy. The plot of both are intreiguing and don't reveal everything right away, but give you small clues throughout which keeps you interested. I still had questions at the end of the Selection series, but they were about the world around the characters and I wanted more, because it was so interesting. Though I think that adding more might take away from the intreigue, so I overall enkoyed the questions I had remain. I think Mortal Instruments had the opposite effect. I did have questions, but with two spin-off series, I knew that most of my questions would be answered and it left little to be desired after I had finished. The pacing of the Selection series I also believe was better overall, with just enough going on that you don't grow bored. Conversely, the Mortal Instruments gelt too slow in places and when action did occur, it went by very quickly.
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

I enjoy the fantasy of TMI series. I was a big fan of The clockwork series as well as the dark artifices. The Selection series just did not capture my attention quite as much and it took me longer to read them.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

I love The Mortal Instruments and I wish a good producer would finally pick up a script and make it into a movie. So may twist and different storylines. As for The Selection, that's a series that I haven't read yet but definitely put it in my to be read shelf.
CorkyBookworm
Currently Reading: In the Grip of Grace
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by CorkyBookworm »

I didn't read the Mortal Instruments, but I did read Clockwork Angel. I liked the story line well-enough and I really liked the characters, but personally, I'm not really into vampires. I'm a huge fantasy but, but I don't do demons and angels and I'm pretty picky about my werewolves. All that said, I decided not to read The City of Bones and the rest of the books by Clare.

However, I did read the Selection trilogy and have read The Heir. I haven't read The Crown yet, but I plan to. They were interesting and I truly enjoyed the political system and societal structure the most. The romance was fluffy and fun, of course, but the world is what I think I liked the most in those books. I did like the cast of characters and the plot too.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

They both had interesting premises, but the Selection series has terrible writing, pacing and plotting.

They both went on much longer than they needed to.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I think the Selection more. I haven't finished reading all of the mortal instruments though.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

lindsaysherlock wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 17:40 I think the Selection more. I haven't finished reading all of the mortal instruments though.
Same here. But I've to admit, the Selection series went downhill after the third book. I've also only read the second book in TMI - City of Ashes. I think Clare's characters are one-dimensional and lack intensity or depth.
NnWillsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnwillsons.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by NnWillsons »

I’m a big antagonist buff so I would say Mortal Instruments purely for the fact that Sebastian is probably my all-time favorite antagonist. That being said I believe both we’re good and had things about them I enjoyed. Both are rare occasions in which I actually like the main protagonist. The selection I think had a better love story, but mostly because the focus of its storyline was her relationship with Maxon versus Mortal instruments focusing more on struggles of the underground fantasy world.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

I got really stressed out with both series at one point but I would choose The Mortal Instruments because I like darker themes.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
herondalebloodline

Post by herondalebloodline »

100% the mortal instruments. Maybe I'm a little biased because angels demons and downworlders are just my thing, but the characters are just amazing, and the plot as well. There are a great balance between action, romance, and comedy. I cried a few times in a few parts. It's totally worth reading.

The selections are also good though. The struggles that the characters were nicely put into words. But there are some things that weren't explained as detail as it should, that I didn't get the scene well made in my mind (the attack from north and south part, for example). So I didn't think this book is as good as TMI.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I've read 2 of The Selection series, but only the first Mortal Instruments. I think I like The Selection best.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

My favourite is definitely the mortal instruments. I love the complex and strong characters, the mystical aspect to the storyline and the complex storyline’s.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I had no idea The Selection series existed. From the covers alone it looks radically different than The Mortal Instruments. I'd be willing to give them a try though. But I will always love Jace from Mortal Instruments :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”