What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Post by Dh_ »

I love the Hundred series, the Selection series, and All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. Those are the few I can name off the top of my head, but this is my favorite genre.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Stephanie114
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The House on Mango Street
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Stephanie114 »

THE DIVERGENT SERIES. My favorite books of all time. They taught me about life, love, bravery, struggles, friendship, pain, losing a loved one, and so, so, so, so, so much more that would take me too long to explain. I love this series.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

You can never go wrong with The Selection series by Kiera Cass.You can also check out some of Stephanie Perkins' book if you want some teen romance.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Harry Potter is a great series. I still rereae it now once i have the time.
Has anyone ever heard of Melinda Metz's series, Roswell High? I read some if them once upon a time ago. They're a great sci fi fantasy series. I've never finished all the books, but I haven't been able to find them to do so.
I briefly read part of the Percy Jackson series, and I'm thirsting for more. And now you guys have mentioned Mortal insteuments. I can't wait to try it.
The Ms peregrin series? Any thoughts?

-- 10 Aug 2017, 09:04 --

Oh and yes i most definitely agree with the divergent series! And Maze Runner Trilogy. AND the Hunger Games trilogy. All exciting dystopian fantasies.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Licareads
Currently Reading: Droplets
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Licareads »

I love "Daughters of the Sea" by Kristin Day. I love mythology and I've read these book more than once =3
"The Poseidon's Girls Trilogy" by M.S. Watson is also great too bad is a bit short D:
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Excitedreads wrote:Harry Potter is a great series. I still rereae it now once i have the time.
Has anyone ever heard of Melinda Metz's series, Roswell High? I read some if them once upon a time ago. They're a great sci fi fantasy series. I've never finished all the books, but I haven't been able to find them to do so.
I briefly read part of the Percy Jackson series, and I'm thirsting for more. And now you guys have mentioned Mortal insteuments. I can't wait to try it.
The Ms peregrin series? Any thoughts?

-- 10 Aug 2017, 09:04 --

Oh and yes i most definitely agree with the divergent series! And Maze Runner Trilogy. AND the Hunger Games trilogy. All exciting dystopian fantasies.
Hi Excited Reads! Roswell was made into a TV series in the 90s, there are 3 seasons and I loved watching it growing up. If you like the books you could try that.

Great choices of books, I hope you like the mortal instruments if you do get round to reading it, it's one of my favourites.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I will definitely try it. Got a second recommendation from my sister in law. Btw have you guys read Eragon? Another great fantasy, with a friendly dragon.. who doesn't love a friendly dragon!

And as for Roswell, I watched a couple of episodes, but I never found it stood up to the book. I liked the little extra details in the book and maybe my imagination serves me better than a director can direct a tv show. 8) :D
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen is a perfect blend of adventure, family secrets, loyalty, food for thought, and the right touch of romance. These books have made their author someone to watch.
waffurlee
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by waffurlee »

My favorite series (I haven't finished it. I think there's 4 books) is the Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman. It's a young adult, dystopian, science fiction kind of series. Not something I usually gravitate for. HOWEVER, the complex characters and the plot twists and the messages in this book are absolutely phenomenal. The book #1.5 called UnStrung had me in tears even though it's only a few chapters. I felt so many emotions while reading these books, which is what I look for in my type of books, and I kept questioning my sense of self and beliefs. I highly recommend.
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

A few favorites:
The Ascendance trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Cinder and sequels by Marissa Meyer
A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson
The Orphan Queen and The Shadow King by Jodi Meadows
...and the list goes on.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

waffurlee wrote:My favorite series (I haven't finished it. I think there's 4 books) is the Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman. It's a young adult, dystopian, science fiction kind of series. Not something I usually gravitate for. HOWEVER, the complex characters and the plot twists and the messages in this book are absolutely phenomenal. The book #1.5 called UnStrung had me in tears even though it's only a few chapters. I felt so many emotions while reading these books, which is what I look for in my type of books, and I kept questioning my sense of self and beliefs. I highly recommend.
Sounds interesting!!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
missalice
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missalice »

For me, it's The Mortal Instruments and the Shatter Me series.

The Mortal Instruments was the first series that I read independently. I was so amazed by the world that Cassandra Clare had created especially since it was the first book that I had read with such deep world-building. (if that makes sense?) It pretty much set the standards for any other fantasy book that I read.

The Shatter Me series was... I can't even explain it. I remember reading the sample on Amazon and being completely entranced by Tahereh Mafi's writing style. It was unlike anything that I have ever read and still is. It's probably not for everyone but for me, it was like reading poetry.

Both books have great plot and characters but if you're looking for more of an epic fantasy type of book, I would definitely go with The Mortal Instruments. If you're looking for a shorter series with a dystopian-type setting and a fantasy element thrown in, go with Shatter Me.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

The Selection series by Kiera Cass is really good. It is written in a couple installations with some mini novels written from a different point of view.
elphochan
Currently Reading: Codependency No More
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by elphochan »

The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast (a mother/daughter duo) is one of the most amazing YA series I've ever read. There are 12 books in the series. Typically with series this long I get bored by around book 5. Not with these. I think I read them all in about 7 or 8 weeks. They're vampire romance novels, but they're nothing like Twilight, if you need anything to compare them to. The story features Wiccan and Native American lore, both of which I've always found interesting. These vampires aren't evil, they're more like good witches, doing magic to help and heal the world. And everyone knows of their existence. In fact, there are special schools where young vampires go to study and hone their craft, schools called House of Night. The story centers around one young vampire, Zoey Redbird. Most of the books are in 1st person, from Zoey's point of view, but every so often the POV switches to 3rd person to focus on one of the other important characters. The books deal with your typical coming of age themes, but they also deal with serious topics like the nature of good vs evil, the death of a parent or best friend, Stockholm syndrome, among many others. They're well-written and well thought out. The characters grow and develop at a good pace. You're constantly left on a cliff hanger so taking a break from these books isn't really an option; you're compelled to read them each all the way through. If you're looking for something new to sink your teeth into that's full of strong women and brilliantly crafted romance, look no further than the House of Night. Now I want to read them over again. :D
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

My favorite is Harry Potter. It's my generation and I grew up along side him. But there is also The Mortal Instruments and the House of Night series

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”