Rereading Harry Potter Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Favorite of the Series

Sorcerer's Stone
13%
Chamber of Secrets
3%
Prisoner of Azkaban
25%
Goblet of Fire
17%
Order of the Phoenix
14%
Half Blood Prince
14%
Deathly Hallows
14%

Total votes: 303

Michael Lilly
Currently Reading: The Goose Girl
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-lilly.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Re: Rereading Harry Potter Series

Post by Michael Lilly »

It was actually a toss-up for me as to whether The Sorcerer's Stone (or The Philosopher's Stone, as it was titled in England) and Order of the Phoenix. I ended up going with Sorcerer's Stone, though, as it was the more innocent and had more of the feel of playful wonder about magic of the two.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I am VERY SLOWLY rereading Philosopher's Stone--I read a chapter in English and then I read the same chapter in French, which takes twice as long because I am not exactly fluent. (I took some French in high school and minored in it during my undergrad studies; I don't get to use it and I thought it would be a big personal accomplishment to read a novel--other than Camus's L'Etranger--in another language). I adore this series so much!

The very first final paper I wrote for my doctoral studies was over the Harry Potter series, specifically Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. It ended up being my first published scholarly article. While I was writing it, I read the two books a couple times (mostly as refresher) and watched Order SO. MANY. TIMES. Because of this experience, I have a difficult time deciding which is my favorite. By default, I always say Goblet is my favorite, but... the series got so much darker beginning with Order and I feel like I know it so intimately that I almost want to say it is my favorite, but not by much. It is probably 51% Order and 49% Goblet.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

My favorite is the third book as well. I haven't reread the entire series, but I've read Prisoner of Azkaban so many times, I've lost count. And the Deathly Hallows four times, and Order of the Phoenix twice. Would love to reread the series as a whole once more :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I'm so surprised that most people's favorite is Prisoner of Azkaban! I wonder if it's because it is the only book that doesn't revolve around Voldemort?
kaja_1237
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by kaja_1237 »

I love Harry Potter series. Might be time to read all the books again.
Although I like all of them, I have to say my favorite one has to be Half Blood Prince.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

The prisoner of Azkaban is the best HP movie in my opinion. I haven't had time to re-watch the series but I really want to. I'm in love with the Harry Potter books and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

The prisoner of Azkaban is the best HP movie in my opinion. I haven't had time to re-watch the series but I really want to. I'm in love with the Harry Potter books and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I read the entire series as they came out and own hard copies of all them. We went to the parties to get them the night they came out. Yes, we were Potter nerds. But I've never reread them. Sounds like a good idea.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Mine favourite is sorcerer's stone..i also like the book ron more than the movie ron..
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
jevvel
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by jevvel »

kirple93 wrote: 29 Feb 2016, 17:13 I'm halfway through the Goblet of Fire, again :D My favourite is a toss up between Azkaban and the Half-Blood Prince but I'd probably go for Azkaban just because it's a bit different from the rest of the series.

I prefer book Fred and George to their film versions, I think Ron was played quite well, but they should have put more of his Quidditch career in there :lol:
I prefer reading the Sorcerer's Stone :D
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

I think Goblet of Fire is by far the best book but the worst movie. I mean, in rewatching I like the movie, but SO MUCH information is left out. It isn't as exciting as the others until the end, but all the other stuff is what Harry Potter is all about.
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

Is it possible that the Dursley's hated Harry so much and were so mean to him because he was a horcrux and we all know how he reacted to the locket.

Maybe they weren't so bad afterall.
r_bhavika
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-bhavika.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by r_bhavika »

I absolutely love Harry Potter. I can't decide which book from the series is my favorite, but I'll say Deathly Hallows. I like how the golden trio goes to a quest to destroy the Horcruxes and the connection of the Deathly Hallows. Brilliant. I will throw everything away for rereading.
"The world was hers for the reading.” – Betty Smith :techie-studyinggray:
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I’m just reading through the beginning of the deathly hallows and I have to admit, although I’ve always loved Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I have fallen in love with the Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince more than I ever thought I would. They are so different to the movies and I never really like the 6th movie, but lit turns out I love the book. I would definitely recommend rereading the series if you can!
Jill Pollini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jill Pollini »

I'm definetly due to reread the books but Prisoner of Azkaban has remained my favorite since I first read it. The whole concept of Dementors (depression) and learning to care for yourself (Harry casting his own Patronus) really spoke to me and I think it was an important lesson for Harry to learn in order to handle what was to come. Also, the dramatic entrance that Sirius made is so iconic.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”