Official Review: The Falconer's Apprentice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Official Review: The Falconer's Apprentice

Post by chytach18- »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Falconer's Apprentice" by Malve von Hassell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Falconer’s Apprentice by Malve von Hassell has met all my expectations of a good historical book. The book is well-structured, well-researched and very well-written. It explores the last years of Frederick II as the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The time is the middle of the 13th century. The setting is the road from Castle Kragenberg (North Germany) to Castel del Monte (South Italy). Once the great domain, the Holy Roman Empire now suffers from political and social turbulence. People are divided. Some stay loyal to the aging emperor; many want change which they see in Pope and Catholic Church. But the protagonist of The Falconer’s Apprentice is not Frederic II or Pope. We explore real and fictional events through the eyes of Andreas, 13-years old orphan, the falconer’s apprentice.

Count Cuno, the landlord of Castle Kragenberg, is away. In his absence, his teenage son Ethelbert invites some noble neighbours for hunting with falcons. Andreas is helping Oswald, the falconer, to prepare the birds. Adela is a beautiful falcon but she still is very young and a little inexperienced. She ignores Ethelbert`s orders and goes for her own prey. Annoyed by her behaviour, angry Ethelbert pulls on Adela`s rope too forcefully. Upset and confused, Adela scratches his lordship’s face. In a rage, Ethelbert orders Oswald to destroy the bird. Young Andreas, who adores Adela and who witnessed the incident, is desperate to save her life. When Richard, the trader, comes to the castle, Andreas takes it as his only opportunity to find a better life for himself and Adela.

So Andreas`s journey, both physical and emotional, begins in the trader`s cart. He passes the mountains and the sea. He meets people, good and bad. He celebrates the St Valentine’s Day (I was fascinated how little the celebration had changed since the medieval time). He even meets the emperor himself. On the road, Andreas gains knowledge of the complexity of political and social life in the 13th century Europe. As they continue to travel, he finds out that Richard is not an ordinary trader, but he has another, very important mission – the trader gathers information for the emperor. Andreas`s development as a character is shown in a very subtle and gentle way. The boy is not fighting or chasing, or winning in a big battle. He is rather an observer, but very thoughtful and reflective observer. But by the end of the book, Andreas is not a naïve boy anymore. He is still kind and caring, but in a different, grown-up way.

I liked how Hassell has structured the book. The Falconer’s Apprentice is organised into eight parts, each of them preceded by a paragraph from the real book written by FredericK II on falconry. That rhythmic structure mirrors the steady tempo of the road journey. I think it was a very clever idea. Hassell chose paragraphs from The Art of Falconry which were beautiful on their own, but they also became extended metaphors to the themes of the following chapters of her book. That was another clever idea to write a book.

I am delighted to say that I could not find any faults within the book. Andreas seemed a very likable character, yet Malve von Hassell had never presented him in a didactic, finger-pointing way. And therefore Andreas looked both as a character from the distant history and as a very modern boy. I think he could be an inspiration for modern teenagers - how to pursue their dream whatever the dream could be. I would strongly recommend The Falconer’s Apprentice for wide readership, particularly for young adults who are interested in history. With great pleasure, I give The Falconer’s Apprentice four out of four stars.

The Falconer's Apprentice
View: on Bookshelves

Like chytach18-'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

This does sound like a unique way to structure a book as you mentioned! The book sounds very interesting, and I believe I will add it to my list. I am a fan of fantasy and adventure too, but I like the thought you had about him growing by being a thoughtful observer. Well done, and congrats to the author!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! Thank you for the well-written review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
chytach18-
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you both.
Malve396
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Malve396 »

Thank you for this very thoughtful, careful, comprehensive review. :D
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

You welcome, Malve. I really liked reading your book.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

It does sound like a clever book, based on your descriptions. One thing I do enjoy about historical fiction is being able to relate to characters from a different place and time, so I like that you highlighted that aspect of the book as well. Great review!
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you. Tanaya.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

This sounds like it would be right up my alley, I'll have to have it to my list, thanks for the great review
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, literarycat.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love historical fiction because they usually turn out to be not only entertaining but also informative. I like Andreas' character based on your description and I think I'm going to like this book. Great review!
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, kymmyschemy, I'm sure you'll like reading the book.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a wonderful book! I love anything to do with birds and medieval times. You have me curious about St. Valentines day! I'm going to put this on my to read list.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
chytach18-

Post by chytach18- »

Thank you, Rachealamb.
literaturelover
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: Chances
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literaturelover.html
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by literaturelover »

sounds amazing! I was a history major in college, with ancient and medieval being my niche! I certainly would like to check this book out based on your review! great job.
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Jane Austen
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”