Official Review: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman" by Robin Gregory.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman is a young adult novel by Robin Gregory.

The story takes place in the late 1800s. The setting is San Miguel, a village on the Pacific coast of America. As a baby, Moojie is left on the porch of a chapel. Henry and Kate Littleman eventually adopt Moojie, who proves to be a bit slow and has difficulty walking. When his adoptive mother dies in a tragic accident, Moojie is left under the care of his grandfather at St. Isidore’s Fainting Goat Dairy. At the age of 14, Moojie encounters the Hostiles, a supernatural clan that is greatly hated by the villagers. As he meets with the clan members in secret, they teach him their mysterious ways. Moojie’s ultimate goal is to find a family that he desires and deserves. The Hostiles just might be the answer to his dilemma.

Moojie is dissatisfied with the circumstances of his life and tries to take charge of his own destiny. He is a character that readers can easily relate to. The love he develops for the Hostiles is directly paralleled by his grandfather’s hatred toward them. It would make sense for Moojie’s grandfather to be the villain of the story, but thankfully the matter isn’t that simple. His obsession for their demise is powerful, adds dimension to his character, and complicates the relationship he has with Moojie. The thorough examination of both sides of the conflict is well handled.

The prose is quite splendid. There are many moments of beautiful imagery: “Since early life, dreams of undersea forests had haunted Moojie, twisted faces and open mouths tangled in kelp. Without Mamma, there was no one left to understand him, leaving in her absence a dark and terrifying sea.” The story is also filled with great dialogue. The Hostiles tend to speak in riddles to impart their wisdom to Moojie: “Aye, waiting for love is like waiting for yesterday.” This often causes the reader to stop and evaluate the words according to individual beliefs. The thought-provoking nature of the writing is one of the story’s greatest strengths.

The book is divided into three parts. Part I starts the book off in a promising way. In Part II, the story loses its forward momentum. Many things are teased to the reader, like Moojie finally running away to join the clan or being sent away from the farm by his grandfather. Such points are repeatedly brought up without much actually happening. The reader is left waiting for the adventure to begin. The redundancy and underwhelming suspense of Part II were disappointing. Fortunately, the momentum picks up again right before the start of Part III. The plot threads come together, leading to a satisfying conclusion that I didn't see coming. The reader's expectations are somewhat led astray, but the pieces of the puzzle are there all along. This technique was ultimately quite impressive.

The best aspect of the book is the focus on family. There is a deep exploration of what it means to be a part of a family and what to do if you’re dissatisfied with the family you have. The importance of being accepted for who you are is also highlighted. Moojie’s desperate yearning to belong and make sense of his suffering challenges what many readers may take for granted.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Though it seemed to drag in the middle, the story managed to surprise me in more ways than one. The messages and wisdom found throughout the pages caused me to reflect on my own beliefs. I don’t recommend this book if you’re not a fan of magic realism. If you want to read to an enchanting tale about finding one’s inner strength, then this might be the book for you.

The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around an abandoned kid who finds himself in a mystical world sounds intriguing! I will give it a try even though it dragged in the middle. I love fantasy and magic realism, and the fact that the book focuses on family is another bonus. Thank you for the lovely review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

This sounds like a great book! Thanks for the wonderful review :D
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Post by VanessaB16 »

Wonderful review! Sounds like a lovely story.
"And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?"
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks, everyone. It was a very lovely story indeed!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review. At least, the lack of forward momentum was in the middle rather than in the beginning! Glad you enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! This book sounds uniquely curious.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The cover artwork is fabulous!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Indeed it is. I always appreciate an artful cover.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

It sounds like there is a lot of good imagery in this story. I also love it when authors attempt to show both sides of a conflict. It seems like a bit of a crutch sometimes when everything is black and white. The shades of gray are part of what makes everything so interesting!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

This book sounds lovely, thanks for such an honest review!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a very unique story. Thank you for your balanced review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
tweety bird
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tweety bird »

Thank you, Tanya, for a beautiful review! And I am so grateful for the supportive comments for your followers. Warm blessings for the New Year! :D
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

What an interesting name! It really sounds like an amazing book based on your review. The grandfather seems to be an interesting character. Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A disabled boy who loses his adoptive mom. His desire to find his family makes this sound like a touching story. It's great the author balances the conflict of both the grandfather's and the Hostiles's side well. I love that you found the writing is a great strength here. Too bad about Part II being slower than the other two, but I'm glad the plot comes together and leads to a satisfying ending. The focus of family sounds like this would be a sweet tale. Thank you for the wonderful review, and I'm glad you found this read so thought-provoking!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”