Review of The Promise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Review of The Promise

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise" by Hank Ellis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As always, Hank Ellis' The Promise series does not disappoint. There are four books in the series, and I have read and reviewed each of them. I have recently had a chance to re-read the first book in the series, The Promise: A Perilous Journey. It has been several years since I read it, and I have enjoyed reading the first one again, especially now that I know how the story continues. It is always interesting to re-read a story and find elements of it that may have been forgotten. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. It is not every day that a story can so perfectly capture the magic of childhood. Even though it appears to be written for a preteen age group, it is a story that will keep both younger and older readers intrigued.

This story is about two brothers, Peter and Dave, who love nature and adventure. They explore a lot in the woods close to their home and discover a hidden cave which leads them to more extraordinary discoveries and adventures. Readers are kept on the edge of their seats while they wonder about the meaning of the boys' findings. They discover secrets that will take them to places they’ve never been before, and this becomes more evident as the series continues.

I would define this book as a type of magical realism. I enjoyed the mix of magical elements and real-life situations that were intertwined throughout the story. There appeared to be a slight coming-of-age theme and various moral life lessons to be learned. It has a weird mix of similarities to books such as Bridge to Terabithia and Chronicles of Narnia. Those stories are among my favorites which is why I was drawn into this story so much.

One of the aspects of this book that I loved was that it portrayed childhood adventure as it used to be, before cell phones and other technology. There was no indication that the story was set in the past, so it sets a good example of modern-day kids having true childhood experiences without the use of devices. The book also seemed to promote respect for parents and kindness to others. There was also some religious symbolism which is one of the reasons I detected some similarities to works by C.S. Lewis.

Since it has been quite a number of years since reviewing this book for the first time, I am unsure if everything is exactly the same or if there have been any changes made. I feel that it is the same as I remembered. If any changes have been made, they are small. As before, this book had very good grammar and appeared to be professionally edited. I don’t think there are any negative aspects of the book, and I feel like everything that happens accurately paves the way into the next book in the series.

I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is still such an enjoyable book to read, and I am very intrigued by Ellis' writing. The storyline is very interesting and appealing for all ages. It is a must-read for those with a love for the magic of childhood.

The Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I guess I will be reading this book to get a feel of what made you re-read it. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

It's amazing that you've read all the four book. It means you were well prepared with the backstories for this installment. This was evident in the excellent review you wrote. Well done.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I want to know how the adventures of Peter and Dave in the cave went along. What would be their discoveries? This is an intriguing part of the book. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I enjoy books that show children on an adventure in nature before cell phones took over their lives, as well as the values of respect and manners. I would love to know what secrets they found. Thank you for the review.
Ivy_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-reads.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Ivy_reads »

Adventure? Count me in! I have seen a lot of shows regarding such but not yet read a book. I'll be sure to read this one. Nice review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”