Review of An Accidental Pirate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of An Accidental Pirate

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Accidental Pirate" by Brooks Almy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An Accidental Pirate by Brooks Almy is an exciting story about a beautiful woman who assumes the identity of a man to free the man she loves, who is held captive in a Spanish cell. She continued to pass herself off as a male and eventually worked her way up to the position of captain on the notorious Bloody Rose pirate ship.

When Fanny Campbell learned that her beloved husband, Will, had been captured at sea, she knew she couldn't bear to sit by and watch him waste away in a strange prison. She went to rescue him, pretending to be a guy named Frank Campbell, with the support of her adoptive parents, Nate and Sara. As it turned out, Frank was a highly skilled sailor and was soon recruited to serve as a member of the crew of a pirate ship that mostly preyed against English vessels at sea. Soon, Frank was voted to lead the crew as their captain on a mission to rescue Will. Did Fanny succeed in fooling every crew member? Was her lover rescued?

It was so fascinating reading a book that just had me smiling from the first page to the last. I could barely hold my excitement; I felt like Fanny when she was around Will. I loved every character — Fanny, Nate, Sarah, Joshua, Q, Thorne, etc. I felt like a crew member on Bloody Rose. Just like Frank, the novel changed my preconceptions of pirates. At some point in the book, I tried to visualize Fanny all dressed and looking like Frank Campbell. It was delightful to read the thoughts going through Fanny and Will's minds simultaneously, showing how well they were connected. The constant banters from the crew members made the book more entertaining. I'd recommend it to lovers of adventures and a beautiful love story.

The author must be well-traveled and a lover of good delicacies because she kept mentioning so many types of food, from the wedding scene to how chef Gio kept gracing the crew of the Bloody Rose with different meals. The language was easy to read. Although there was a bit of Spanish here and there, the English was straightforward.

The most important message from the author is love and humanity. As seen in the Campell household and on the ship, there is no room for animosity. Everyone will love to experience the kindness and love spread in the book, irrespective of race or culture.

Everything about the book was so fascinating. After the adventure on the ship with the crew, I would have thought of titling the book The Bloody Rose — after the notorious black pirate ship. However, I still liked the title, An Accidental Pirate; it reflected the background of both Thorn and Fanny's stories. I'd love to read more books from the author. However, I'd rate this one five out of five stars because it was professionally edited, and there was nothing to dislike.

An Accidental Pirate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I find the plot interesting. I can imagine a woman acting as a man for the sake of love. Wow!
:D
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This storyline is fascinating and unique. Nice review.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

The title alone drew me in the book sounds interesting although I’m not often one for female leads. I think I find them harder to relate to.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Bikesh9dahal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bikesh9dahal »

Women can do anything like that women did for the sake of a love
malia hale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by malia hale »

Just the title of the book instantly drew me to it. I'm not the type the usually read pirate adventure books but this particular book was absolutely beautiful. It had me in a tight grasp from page one and after the book finished I found myself wishing that it would never end.
An Accidental Pirate is a beautiful blend of romance and adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed the banter on the ship and could envision everything almost picture perfect clearly. I absolutely loved the romance in the book and how the book showed the lengths that one goes to for the sake of love. Over all 5 stars.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”