Review of Abandoned Not Broken

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Abandoned Not Broken

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abandoned Not Broken" by Robert Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

L​isted in the young adult category, Abandoned Not Broken: The Passion & Perspective to Discover Your Purpose satisfies all the requirements for that genre. Author Rob Johnson shares his arduous life story in hopes of providing encouragement to young teens who are also struggling. Beginning with his birth as an abandoned child, then being placed in foster care, next getting adopted, and ultimately becoming a successful business owner, Johnson maintained a positive attitude. He is a perfect example of living by the three Ps in the subtitle of his book: passion, perspective, and purpose.

T​his author acknowledges many individuals who helped him achieve his goals. The dedication page mentions the woman who took him in as a foster child and who eventually adopted him. Even though his life with her and her two children was difficult, he overcame many temptations that could have steered him in a different direction. There were several youth pastors and church families who guided him, and Johnson describes the comfort he received from those relationships.

A​lthough the book is poorly edited, this error in Chapter 8 actually made me laugh, "Pastor Fabian gave an alter call." There is no doubt that when Rob Johnson walked up to the altar that day, his life was altered. The title of that chapter is appropriately named "Saved. " Other errors made me frown and resulted in a star deduction. Even though the audience for this book is geared to teens, who might not notice, good grammar should be mandatory. My rating is four out of five because of those errors.

T​he author does model many good qualities and offers hope to a demographic that needs all the positivity they can get. Johnson describes the hardships that followed him his whole life, but he still counted his blessings and did his best. Testimonies from individuals lend to his credibility. The book includes personal photographs that record his life. I liked seeing those and reading the captions below them.

G​etting troubled teens to read this book might be difficult unless it is mandatory for counseling or probation, but that is who I recommend this book to. The reading level is such that it should be easy enough for most students to comprehend. Often poor readers make up a huge percentage of dropouts. Johnson was one of those dropouts and explains why he regrets that decision.

J​ohnson's message to stay motivated and goal-oriented is one that all high schoolers need to hear, but it is especially critical for those who lack guidance. The author does attribute his success to divine intervention, but he does not try to indoctrinate anyone. He uses his story to show how he did not let circumstances hold him back, and he encourages others to do the same. Readers who are interested in making a difference in the lives of today’s youth should read this book.

Abandoned Not Broken
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The life of Robert Johnson started quite sad but he turned out to be a happy and purposeful man; a good example for many youths. I am glad he was taken to a loving family who raise him well and gain good relationships with some churchmen. His life is a role model to some youths struggling to find a purposeful life. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”