Review Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1)by Susan Ee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
andimignanelli
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... gelfall</a>
Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andimignanelli.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Review Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1)by Susan Ee

Post by andimignanelli »

Angelfall is an action-packed, captivating and nerve wrecking book. First, let’s see the summary:

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little giril, her seventeen-year-old sister, Penryn, will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only eachother to rely on for survival. Together, they journey towars the angels’ stringhold in San Francisco where Peryn will risk everything to rescue her sister, and Raffe will put himslef at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Let me start by saying this: Susan Ee is absolutly brilliant! The way she writes is captivating. I couldn’t put the book down the first and second time I read it because the characters, the story, the scenery and the feelings are so real that at times I have to pause, breathe and remind myself that it’s just a book, I’m not living in it, because every fighting sequence I felt the same adrenaline the characters were feeling, their fear, their insecurity, their vulnerability, everything the characters were going through, you were there with them. Oh the fighting scenes. Susan did and incredible job writing the action sequences. All the disciplines she had to research in order to give life to this badass 17 years old girl surely paid well.

We have Penryn Young, the protagonist, who’s life has been far from perfect, situation that made her grew up too early. She has a mother with mental illness and a sister with a physical disability she had to look after, even more now, since the world has become a giant chaos. Reading this books was pure pleasure and pain because I was able to understand Penryn and completly relate with her, because this whole thing she will put herself through is because of family. She is willing to sacrifice herself to save her sister, she will do whatever it takes to get her back and that’s the thing I love about this book, the main point in the story is to get Paige, Penryn’s little sister, back and that’s it. She never loses her focus, she doesn’t get distracted from her goal.

Now you may ask, where’s the love story? The slow burn relationship between Penryn and Raffe (Ship name: Raffryn) goes along with the story without being the main thing. Yes, it is so important, but it doesn’t eclipse the fact that Penryn has a mission, with every bump in the road, she never gives up, because she needs to save Paige, that’s what big sisters do. Every decision she makes she does it thinking about her little sister.

Raffe. This angsty angel is a delight to read. He is very closed about what he feels, but as the story progresses, he starts to show a little bit more of himself at times. He is in this journey with the same destination, only for a different purpose, which with lead him and Penryn on a adventure through the woods and abandoned houses in search for food and shelter, praying to get to San Francisco in one piece. Raffryn is perfection, the banter between Raffe and Penryn is priceless, both of them are so full of sarcasm and wit, you will find yourself laughing at loud sometimes. Also the tension, you can feel it in every word they say to each other and every time they have to save eachother’s backs, because it’s them against the world. They create this bond, this partnership that will lead them to the most incredible adventures, where they can only rely on one another.

Another great thing? WE DON’T HAVE LOVE TRIANGLES IN THIS BOOK.

All in all, this book is amazing, a masterpice brought to us by Susan Ee, everything is well written, every single character in this book is interesting, every single one.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, a gazillion times yes.

Rating: 5/5
Krizelle101
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krizelle101.html

Post by Krizelle101 »

Thanks for that very detailed review. Would definitely read this book. :)
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I loved this book a lot. I have the next one but haven't started to read it yet. Hopefully its as good as this one was if not better. Great review.
Maxinnaaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maxinnaaa »

This has been my favorite series ever since I read it! :) It's soooo good.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

This series in on top of my TBR list. I can't wait to read this! :D
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I still have to read the second one in this series. Maybe I can get to it at the beginning of the year.
valegrissom
Currently Reading: The Paper Magician
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by valegrissom »

I was actually not excited about reading this series. This series fell in my lap during a time when I was really dissatisfied with the story line options I was being given and the last thing I wanted was another book that had to do with angels. Despite my bad attitude I ended up really enjoying this series. I read all three books and felt like it was an entertaining read, without making me eye roll every time something "angelic" happened.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I can tell you really enjoyed this one and why. It seems to combine some of tbe best elements of the genres it's pulling from to make Raffe and Penryn's journey one that pulls you in.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”