The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nsharpes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsharpes.html

Review: The 5th Wave

Post by nsharpes »

I checked out this book from the library and was really excited to read it, but for some reason I couldn't get into it. By the time I felt in the mood to read a book this big and with this subject matter, it was time to return it to the library with no renewals left. However, there were no holds on it so my library branch let me check it back out.

When I started to read it, it took me a few sections to get used to the rotation of perspectives, but once I got used to it I really loved that approach.

Cassie's world was so well described, I could picture every Wave and I was rooting for her the whole way, along with her little brother Sammy. The book had good character development, a solid story and twists to keep it interesting.

If you are a fan of Rick Yancey or Science Fiction, I highly suggest The 5TH Wave.
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

I liked this book, I liked the writing, I liked the characters, I liked the story, though some parts were a bit heavy. But overall, I enjoyed reading this book, I'm excited for the sequel!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

I recently heard that this is going to be made a movie. I haven't read it, but I have heard nothing but good things.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I've read this and thought it was a good read, would be interested in watching the movie if there really is one being made.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I really enjoyed this book, and I thought it was definitely an interesting take on the alien invasion genre. Would recommend to anyone who likes action/adventure, sci-fi, and apocalyptic novels.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
immy1716

Post by immy1716 »

I was reading this a little while ago and I found it fantastic I never though I would like it but it suprised me and I acually think its one of my favorite books now I am so exsited for the second one too because the ending in the first was a massive cliff hanger. :D
bookie-ashren

Post by bookie-ashren »

Nothing but good things for this book!
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

This was one of the options for one of the book clubs that I am in, but I chose to review another book. Does it really live up to all the hype and good things that have been said? I really don't want to be disappointed, because I have heard so many things about this book.

-- 02 Dec 2014, 06:40 --

This was one of the options for one of the book clubs that I am in, but I chose to review another book. Does it really live up to all the hype and good things that have been said? I really don't want to be disappointed, because I have heard so many things about this book.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

I went into this book not knowing anything and expecting to not enjoy this book but turns out I love this book, I think the characters are amazing. Cassie is a strong kickbutt character so are all the other characters. Definitely one of my favorite books! :)
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I love this book so much, it turns out I checked it out from the library the day after it came out, what a coincidence. I got into it right away. I love the cover, the perspectives, the plot, the narrative and don't even get me started on the writing style. If I couldn't read this book again I'd have no idea what I'd do.
Booklover_1999
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-1999.html

Post by Booklover_1999 »

I really loved the book. The little brother was so cute and I totally understood the book. I would want to save my little sister too when she would have been taken away :)
fictionalthrone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionalthrone.html

Post by fictionalthrone »

I thought it was dull and drab, just plain judgment, but I hadn't read it yet. Now seeing all these positive comments makes me want to start it.
The Review
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-review.html

Post by The Review »

THIS BOOK. Is one of my favorite reads of the year. It is set in an apocalyptic world where aliens have wiped out 97% of Earth's population. If that doesn't excite you, I don't know what does! The main character, Cassie, experiences LOTS of tragedy and hardships as one of the remaining 3% alive. She is always alone, determined to keep a promised to a loved one, and she won't let anything get in her way. I rate this book 4.3 stars out of five. Only because there were some boring parts here and there when she was traveling and such, but all in all an amazing book! There are a couple of plot twists that will make you question reality, and they hit you with a lot of force. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone out there. If you are bored and looking for a good read, pick this up!
AnnaReads11

Post by AnnaReads11 »

Ricky Yancy is a author of pure talent in this Book! He bring the world,the characters and the emotion to life in this astonishing first book in the 5th wave series! If you are a YA,Syfi loven fangirl I recommend this book!
Pros;
-I Easily got interested in this book!
-You get to love the character, and cassie is a strong protagonist!
-it makes you want more!!
Cons-
-It seemed to be fast in some parts and slow in others.
-I felt it didn't give much details on the "invaders"
other then that the book was amazing, and I can't wait to read the next one!!!
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

So, I was at the bookstore a couple weeks ago and got a book on a whim. I typically don't read books unless they have been recommended, so this was a first for me. The cover boasted a sticker saying that it was soon to be a "major motion picture." There wasn't much on the book that gave away details on the plot, but I figured it must be decent if they were making a movie out of it. Fast forward to this past weekend. I finally went to the movies and wouldn't you know it, but there was a preview for the film adaptation of this book: The 5th Wave. Of course this prompts me to immediately go home and want to read the book. And that's how I spent my Sunday. Based on the film preview, I had an idea of where the book was going to go, but the story went a whole different direction.

First thing I found interesting was that the story actually starts after the 4th wave. The main character, Cassie, is trying to survive on her own in a world where the population is so scarce that she truly believes she is the last person alive. The last human alive anyways. The first part of the story is told by her. As she shares about her new lifestyle, she fills you in on what happened before, about the "Arrival" and the waves; each new wave killing thousands (if not millions) more people. We learn what happened to her family and how they took her brother. At first it bothered me that there was a lot of back and forth between the past and the present, but I got used to it as I read.

After Cassie starts her journey to rescue her brother, the point of view changes. The reader gets to hear the thoughts of Evan Walker, the guy that has a crush on Cassie; Ben Parish, the guy that Cassie has a crush on; and Sammy, Cassie's brother. Each change in perspective is preceded by black title pages. It is not always clear who's perspective you are reading until you start. This plays into the plot as you learn who characters really are.

As sci-fi/post-apocalyptic books go, I would say this one is perfect. The characters are easy to connect with and are realistic. The storyline is not "out there", even though it is about an alien invasion. It takes the feel from a post-apocalyptic book and adds the twist that aliens caused the apocalypse. The story isn't about the world trying to fight the aliens, but about a sixteen-year-old girl trying to save her five-year-old brother.

I would definitely recommend this book to any sci-fi fans, post-apocalyptic fans, and anyone that just enjoys reading a good book. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn't put it down! I am looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out later this year. I know they will get it all wrong, but such is life.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”