Review of Vandella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Vandella

Post by IconReviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vandella" by M. Ch. Landa.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Maia's mother died while giving birth to her and her father left before her birth. Her grandmother was the one who raised her. Maia has had a hard life. She was diagnosed with cancer early in her life and her grandmother was by her side until she was cured. Later in her teenage life, the cancer came back and Maia ended up in the hospital. While there, a man, claiming to be death himself, came and informed her that her grandmother was going to die. Maia decided to strike a deal with Death, trading her own life for her grandmother's. And so the drama begins as she followed Death, crossing over into the afterlife. Will the trade be successful? Will Maia reunite with her mother?

Vandella by M. Ch. Landa is a masterpiece when it comes to creativity. I liked the world-building of this book. The author created a world we can easily lose track of time in. When I started reading the first chapter, I thought this would be another cliched story of a regular girl falling in love with a jock. I must say the book exceeded my expectations. I never expected it to be so captivating. I had a hard time putting down this book, as the author created suspense in every chapter.

I did not dislike anything about this book. The author kept my attention with his gripping storyline, emotional scenes, and amazing characters. One of my favorite characters was Alek. He was able to see the truth in every human heart, and he saved Maia on countless occasions. All the characters in this book were well-developed and relatable. Even the bad ones had things you could like about them. The story appealed to my emotions and I could feel the joy, pain, hurt or love the characters felt.

I must give this book a rating of four out of four stars and 5 out of 5 stars.This book definitely stands out in its genre. The creativity of the author is commendable. The book was professionally edited, as I found only one minor typing error. I liked the romance aspect of the book with Maia, not understanding why she loved Sidney so much. I liked reading the conversations between the two, as they were hilarious at times.

I would recommend this book to young adults who enjoy reading dark fantasy and paranormal books. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the big twist at the end of the book was surprising and awe-inducing. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an enjoyable, immersive read.

Vandella
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! Maia is an extremely strong girl. Even with everything she has gone through in her short life, she thought of her grandmother before herself. I’ll bet that her adventures in the afterlife are worth reading about.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Wow. Who would ever trade their life for Nana. She is indeed rare. I love the book already. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed reading it 👍👍
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

Maria has gone through a lot recently. I can't image being in her situation. I understand why Maria made a deal with death in exchange for her grandmother's life; she believed she would die anyhow, so why not save her grandmother?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”