Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyScuito1414
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyscuito1414.html

Re: Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Post by AbbyScuito1414 »

I think it's a great series, especially for younger readers who don't often read, or don't like to. It's a series that captivates you and makes you want more, but isn't too long and dragged out. It puts a different twist on the usual vampire novels and let's you imagine a world different from our own, or how the world might be if you believe in the supernatural. This series is what gave me an appreciation for the supernatural genre of literature, and I have fallen in love with it ever since. Beautiful series, well written, definitely worth a read, even if you're not totally into vampires and werewolves.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I absolutely loved this series. I had the first book for about a year before I even cracked it open, and then the movie came out while I was attending college for my bachelors degree. Since I had a lot of free time, I finally opened it and I blew through it pretty quickly. I could NOT get enough. After I finished the first one, I went out and bought ALL the other books and finished them all in the course of 7 days. I was disappointed with the movie when I saw it after reading the book, the first one is just awful. The res of the movies were better, and I don't dislike any of them. I even really enjoyed the most recent book, Twilight Life and Death- the gender swapped version of the original and fell in love with it all over again in a new way.

For those who have not read Life and Death, you MUST read it. I was a little apprehensive at first, but its a not the same story, it IS different with similar plot and elements but the characters are really good. I didn't think the Twilight books were bad at all, but it was as if Stephenie Meyer took all the problems people had with the books and fixed it, and gave it a fresh new look while keeping a lot of what made the originals so great in the first place.

My favorite book in the series has to be New Moon. My husband read the whole series as well, and he prefers Breaking Dawn as his favorite. I really liked New Moon though, because it expanded on the vampires and introduced the werewolves and the Quileutes. I really liked this aspect of the story line, and the unspoken war between them both.

It's a great series, what can I say? :wink: :D
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I liked the books and the movies. I preferred the books. I wasn't a die hard fan though.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Suvarna
Currently Reading: Extreme Exposure
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Suvarna »

I like this series very much!! I am not a fan of vampires and werewolves but this books are so different from the other vampire books. I completed the entire series within a month and absolutely loved the experience. The authors writing style is good, though I would have appreciated a more detailed introduction of characters. The entire series focused more on vampire characters than werewolves once.. I wish there would be another book in this series about Jacob and the rest werewolves!!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I didn't end up starting the series until after I saw the first movie. While I did enjoy the movies, the books are definitely better. They are so much more vivid and full of expression. Reading the first book after watching the movie helped explain so much, there were a couple jokes in the movie about Bella being clutzy but it didn't really show her to be that. It wasn't until I actually read the book and it went into detail that I saw it as a fairly crucial detail.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I have only read the first and second book. The first book was okay, but the second book really disappointed me. Bella actually annoyed me in the second book, and I was getting tired of her overdramatic emotions. "Oh my lungs almost burst cuz I thought about Edward's eyes". Like come on. Get a grip Bella! Despite the disappointment of the second book, I am still continuing on with the series. Hopefully, the third book will make amends for the second one.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I love Twilight Series. All the parts of Twilight series are so good. But, my favourite is Twilight Saga #1. It is the part where Edward and Bella meet and their love blossoms :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Sephora1220
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sephora1220 »

"The SpellBinder's Grim" By Genesis Batista- amazon
"A Shade of Vampire" By Bella Forrest

These were pretty friggin awesome vampy books
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

The book is happy read and anyone who've watched the movie should read it as well. I mean, i appreciate how the movie executed "that part" on the Breaking Dawn, that's the good thing about the movie. But there's more in the books that will make your heart float with excitement.<3
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Ash and Stars
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-and-stars.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Ash and Stars »

Twilight gets a lot of bad reviews because of its subject matter. However, I think it is an important series as it is one that got a lot of teenagers into reading, which I think is a great thing!
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I received the first two books in the "Twilight" series as a gift, before the movies came out. I had never heard of them, but my friend claimed they were the latest craze and she was curious to see what they were all about. I'm not typically a fantasy genre fan, so I was not excited about reading a vampire book. However, I was instantly hooked. Very well-written and well-plotted...movies don't do the books justice. I devoured these books.
Lexy3643
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Lexy3643 »

I personally, did not like twilight. The main character, Bella, is a typical Mary Sue. She doesn't meet any trouble or resistance. The moment she goes to school, everyone instantly likes her. She has at least four men going after her at once (Including Edward and Jacob). And even when she turns into a vampire, she faces no struggles. Throughout all of the books, we've been told how hard it is when you first become a vampire. Bella turns into one and she instantly has great self control. The author could have redeemed the character by making her struggle, but it didn't happen. Also, the character of Bella is so annoying. One, she doesn't care about Jacob's feelings at all. Two, she is so pathetic. When a guy dumps you, you don't get depressed for six months and do nothing, you move on and don't mope around. Also, she goes straight back to him the moment he wants her back.
Now let's talk about Edward. He's a typical Gary Stu. He's the perfect guy with no flaws. For example, he says to Bella that if he believed Jacob would be better for her, he would let Jacob have her. No! No! No! If he truly loved her, he would fight for her but he doesn't. If he was a real guy, he would fight and he wouldn't let anyone take her away from him.
I really hated this series, I think the writing is simple, the characters are two dimensional. However, it does reach it's target audience well. The whole point of the book is to aspire to teenage girls who want the perfect life at school, the perfect man and this book does deliver on that.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Lexy3643...I do have to agree with your assessment of Bella. What made her so irresistible was beyond me. Also, her obsession with Edward and her bouts of depression following his breakup were pathetic. They had a very unhealthy relationship and I remember telling my mom that it was sending the wrong message to young women. I was in my mid-20s when I read it, so I was able to see their dysfunction for what it was. But, I did think it might lead teenage girls to behave Bella-like in their own puppy love situations.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Yeaaah I agree with you. I remember I was in 7th grade and twilighiht was the new teenage fad. i remember the thrill of buying the books and having to resort to a friend to convince my mom that vampire romance was safe and there was nothing scary and all, ahhh goood times xD. I remember that i enjoyed the books, and that i binged read them all, especially the last part. I didnt like the movies very much, i dont know if it was because i was older then and it seemed silly or maybe it was really badly done.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

I use to laugh at my Mom when she read constantly. She handed me, Twilight by Stephanie Meyer and said, Just read it. I have always been a huge Vampire movie buff. I remember seeing the trailer for Twilight and thinking it looked horrible. But, I love my Mother and started reading. I absolutely fell in love! I read the entire saga in one weekend. I got hardly any sleep! It was so bad that I started to hallucinate patterns in between the lines of the pages. Took a two hour nap and went right back to it!

Stephanie got some bad reviews revolving around juvenile writing style or details about the characters. I can see where things being said are coming from. But, I will always hold a special place in my heart for this Saga. I never use to be a reader... Until my Mother handed me Twilight. I was 18 years old then. I am now 28, and I have never stopped reading. So, thank you, Mom, for your little push. Thank you, Stephanie, for awakening the devoted book lover in me.
Last edited by Toshia on 22 Oct 2017, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”