Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Re: Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Post by Michelle92 »

Even when a lot of people talk bad about this series, I have to admit that it was the reason I fell in love with reading. It was my first series that I read just for fun. And I will always love it to pieces. It can be a little cheesy but it has great characters and a beautiful love story.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I'm not a massive fan of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. She apperantly dreamt it up. i absolutly hate Bella she's a horrible main character and even though throughout the book it says she is selfless she is a very selfish character. I find her traits very unattractive. As a young teen is was an interesting read and I read it over and over again enjoying it, but as I got older it became very annoying and I started to realize its not as interesting and cool as I had thought. I didn't admire Bella as much as I got older as well. Both Bella and Edward acted like children throughout the entire books. Edward acting young I can understand because he would have the maturity level of a 17 year old which is comprahendable but Bella she is supposed to be older then him and she acts younger. i just found the book an all around bad read I give it a 1 out of 4 and haven't touched it since it first came out.
-Lahla-
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lahla.html

Post by -Lahla- »

Oh God!, I thought I was the only one that likes Twilight. I read it at the end of my 8th grade right before I was going to High School. At the time I was going to rough patch in my life and reading Twilight actually made me almost happy. Twilight eased my mind and pretty much save me from myself. Even now when I have too much in my mind I always grab Twilight because it's something I'm familiar with and I don't have to think too much about. I understand the fact the hype was too much and that's why people pretty much hate it nowadays especially after the movies and all the teenagers drooling over Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner (I was in love with Robert Pattison) but I think that the book is perfect for the audience it targets, young teenagers 10 to 15.
Dragondoor

Post by Dragondoor »

I enjoyed this book series, I binge read this book series especially the last installment-- Breaking Dawn which I picked up while I was working at the bookstore and finished by 8am the same day. That said, a few observations, Meyer is not the most skillful writer. Bella on the Audio book format seams very simple with her 3-6 word sentences. Look at the syntax, most of it was subject verb predicate nominative. I.e. Edward was most wonderful. Additionally, as the series progressed and I read on, Bella is a very codependent protagonist (bicycle incident in New Moon) and the series as a whole ties sex before marriage to death (culminating in actual death after Bella had sex on honeymoon in Breaking Dawn). The love stories, longing, and idea that a rather nondescript individual, relatable, can be chosen and special has great appeal (hey, anyone in English lit can think of a certain governess who was also chosen in that romantic way). Her writing is easy to read and very engaging (if not memorable in detail). I have purchased these books for young women in my family recalling my daydreams for Edward and feeling that I, too, was one special encounter away from the wondrous.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I love the book series way more than the movies. I'm sure I'm not the only one who shares that train of thought. I tried to get my friends to read the books instead of just taking the movies for what they are. They hate when I compare the two but really Stephanie Myers does such a beautiful job of writing that I think was lacking in the movie. What I mean by that is, you get to know he characters in the books that you almost feel like you are them. I felt more of a sisterly bond to Alice in the book than I did in the movies. Especially in the last movie. The hurt I felt in the book when Alice left was much deeper than watching the film.
MaryKnight

Post by MaryKnight »

I read the books for this series before the movies were released because my mom (surprisingly) recommended them to me. I honestly loved this series. I found that Stephanie Meyer was much more detailed and expressive in her books than the movies let on. I never knew whether I was #TeamEdward or #TeamJacob when reading the series because she did such a wonderful job with her characters. Bella was also much more likeable in the books than the movies. Book Bella was much more down to earth and relatable as a girl in high school than what the movie portrayed.
fhenixx_13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fhenixx-13.html

Post by fhenixx_13 »

I didn't start reading the Twighlight series until the first movie came out. I liked the movie ok before reading the books, however not so much after reading them. I believe movies don't do the books justice. They cut out so many things. The books are always better.
twitsken
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twitsken.html

Post by twitsken »

I read this series in high school, even though I feel the basic story line is somewhat over done (vampires, werewolves etc) I enjoy the subplots. The characters all have interesting back stories, revealed in a spread out way avoiding confusion. The love triangle in the series is well written, and relatable.
ChelseaJohn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseajohn.html

Post by ChelseaJohn »

jesslynn7 wrote:I read this series awhile ago, before the movies came out. I did enjoy the books at the time, but now that I am older I realize that they were not particularly well written. The movies absolutely killed the books for me. I cannot bear to reread them or watch the movies again. They have ruined the books for me.
I definitely agree with the majority of what was said there. I feel that the books were written for a specific audience - mostly tween and teenage girls. However, as a piece of literature overall, I felt the writing could definitely have been improved. I actually have yet to finish watching the movies, but from what I've seen, I definitely have to agree that they tend to make a mockery of the books. However, I learned a while ago to let the books be the books, and the movies be the movies - no matter what the series/story.
E_MarMatt95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-marmatt95.html

Post by E_MarMatt95 »

I really enjoyed the Twilight Saga novels back when they came out. However, now that I'm older, I re-read them and found that Stephanie Meyer really could've put alot more into the story. The character flaws and interests only portray a small amount of what we would feel as a real live person. Poor Jacob being friend-zoned really took a hit. I honestly do wish that Bella had been more "sane" about her approach into immortality. Taken her parents more into consideration than her 18 year old self actually did. Pulling Jacob on a chord as she did so well, only emphasised how immature she truly was no matter how it was stated that she was the adult for Renée. I do like that SM's vampires were out of the norm. It was becoming the way she created them, even if it was all out of her "dreams".
NicciH
Currently Reading: Blood Laws
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niccih.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by NicciH »

I really enjoyed the Twilight series books a lot more than the movies. There could have been a bit more in depth description regarding the character backgrounds, but other than that it was a great read. :)
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
sarrbear18

Post by sarrbear18 »

The Twilight Sage by Stephenie Meyer does have the whole base of teen romance with a paranormal twist. It does seem to have some way of describing the main character Bella to be a girl feeling out of place or not normal, which a lot of people can relate. The way the author wrote her book doesn't give a whole lot of insight to each of her characters. I would still recommend this book to anyone who's into romance and paranormal but truly you may or may not have a hard time understanding why can't the characters just see the brighter side of things.
chloeisfox
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloeisfox.html

Post by chloeisfox »

I originally read these books when I was pretty young, when they first came out and people were reading them, and honestly like them. I was young so all the mistakes I now notice in books were glossed over. Then the movies came out and I was eager to reread the books and see how many differences I could spot. Big mistake. I didn't not like the books what so ever reading them the second time. I read them all, just because I hate not finishing a series even if it was the second time I was reading it, but it was something I had to make myself do. All in all I think for young adults, which I believe these books were written for, this is a good series but for older adults not so much.
FangirlAhead
Currently Reading: Beyond the Rising Tide
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by FangirlAhead »

Personally, I'll say that Twilight was also one of the first series that got me into YA, and for that I will be forever grateful. But looking back, I simply cannot see that many positive things about the Twilight series, not enough to make it more than just mediocre or OK.
jesspalfreyman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesspalfreyman.html

Post by jesspalfreyman »

Absolutely adored the series! I would love if another installment were released, but I do not look for that to happen, sadly. :( I have never been able to find a vampire series that intrigues me in the same manner as the Twilight series. Would love to hear recommendations if anyone has any they would like to share!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”