Review of Unbroken

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Unbroken

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbroken" by Olana Rhodes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eighteen-year-old Raven Onyx Lane is a gorgeous and intelligent teenager who was opportuned to get a scholarship into the prestigious Diamond City University. All her life, the only family Raven grew up knowing was her grandparents'. Her grandparents never had a liking for the Diamonds. The Diamonds are a special class of beings with supernatural abilities. They don't live amongst humans, but some lucky humans like Raven get to go to their city. Despite her grandparents' disapproval, Raven decides to go to Diamond City. Unknown to her, Diamond City holds a great secret about her past and an uncertain path to her future. The story gets messier when she falls in love with a guy in the Diamond City, which is considered forbidden. Will Raven get to unravel her life's secrets before it's too late? Or would she fall into the deception of raging predators?

Unbroken by Olana Rhodes is a romantic genre about Raven. During her teenage years, Raven sought to unravel the mysteries surrounding her life. With so many lies and regret from her background, it'd take a miracle for Raven to regain her life. I enjoyed Raven's story mainly because of the many obstacles the writer carefully placed at many points in the book. It's always thrilling to read or watch teenagers fight through the troubles that come with their age. This impetus always drives them to think and feel like an adult. I admire this feature in the book.

Another feature in Unbroken that came as a positive surprise to me was that the writer used 2025 in writing the book's content. I find this amusing and, at the same time, optimistic. It portrays the beauty of tomorrow while still living in the present. I take this to be a positive feature.

Also, I liked the storyline. The thrills, humor, bond of friendship, and love made reading the book worthwhile. The writer also stated at the end that there'd be a second part of the book. I look forward to what lies ahead in the second part of this book because the epilogue ended with many questions on my mind.

There were some inconsistencies in the book, which may disturb some readers. In the latter part of the book, the name Pietra was substituted for Petra, and Petra became Pietra. At first, I thought this was just a typographical error, but the names were not changed back to their original state. The writer should have been consistent with the names.

My rating of this book is four out of four stars. The inconsistencies mentioned didn't disturb my enjoyment of the book. The book was exceptionally well edited. I recommend this book to lovers and readers who enjoy romantic genre stories and the mix of mystery. But it has some sex scenes that will be suitable for children.

Unbroken
View: on Bookshelves
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

Great descriptive review! I'd be interested to read this book as I love stories set in school environments.
Diana Aguilar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-aguilar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Diana Aguilar »

This is a well described review. Plus I like your view about the book. I will consider this book.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I can't wait to read about Raven's life in Diamond City.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”