The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ticia2022
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ticia2022.html

Icon The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Post by Ticia2022 »

The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger was surprising an entertaining read. I was a little hesitant to read it based on the title of the book but as I believed myself to be the "DUFF" growing up, I was intrigued.

Every girl or guy, at one time or another, has felt like the DUFF in their social group. The feeling of being surrounded by your good looking friends has you feeling like the frumpy troll. Unfortunately, 17 year old Bianca Piper was made brutally aware she was the DUFF of her group by the jerkoff and womanizing, Wesley Rush. Although she acted indifferent to the nickname he gave her, DUFFY, it definitely hit a nerve. Add to that her situation at home and problems with repressing her feelings, she is in need of a serious outlet. She turns to Wesley Rush.

Bianca is a strong female character and handles negative situations head on and with a little bit of humor. She is witty, charming and a little corky but that is what makes her likeable. She doesn’t trust or love easily; she can often be detached for social situations but is loyal to a fault.

Wesley is a man-whore with little regard to what others think or say about him. He hides behind his good looks and charm to cover up for his family issues. As Bianca and Wesley grow closer, you begin to see there is more to Wesley than what meets the eye.

Kody Keplinger did an excellent job keeping this book realistic with real life high school situations. There is a positive message to teens that there is more to a person than looks. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t recommend this book to young teens but to a more mature young adult as there is sexual content and swearing. I would highly recommend this book! I give it 5 stars.
penquinmadness94
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penquinmadness94.html

Post by penquinmadness94 »

I agree I definitely enjoyed this book all the way through school I considered myself the duff but the book gives me a whole new view of the whole duff situation I never really realised that there was a name for how I felt let alone that my friends probably also felt the same I think every person should read this book maybe it will give them a new found confidence 5 stars
Daniela03
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniela03.html

Post by Daniela03 »

I can't describe how much I liked this book I don't know it it was because the topic or the hot guy but I really enjoyed it
Annie_XP
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie-xp.html
Reading Device: B00746LVOM

Post by Annie_XP »

I really like this book too, :D I was really hoping for a second book but I read some of the other book by Kody and Bianca and Wesley had a small scene in A Midsummers Nightmare. It took me a while to notice.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I loved this book. The ending seemed kinda predictable, but it's one of the books where you realize that it's not about the ending, but about the journey.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
StefanieB312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanieb312.html

Post by StefanieB312 »

I was very surprised by how much I loved this book. I read it in one day. I was even more shocked at how much I liked the movie. Usually, the movie can't hold a candle to the book, but I loved both.

I really enjoyed the characters Bianca and Wesley. Bianca is so easy to relate to and fun, and you really grow to love Wesley. The author did such a great job of getting inside a teenager's head. There is so much conflict between being a teen and an adult. I really cannot state how much I enjoyed this book. :D
taylorwillis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorwillis.html

Post by taylorwillis »

I really don't know how to start off this review. This book was crazy in both good ways and bad ways. I felt some parts were so unexpected that it threw me off (not very often!!) and sometimes I could predict the exact words that someone was about to say or what was about to happen. If you read my movie review then you know I liked the movie but it was vulgar. The book wasn't near as vulgar as the movie although it did involve a lot of sex. If I had to pick the movie or the book, I would pick the movie by a long shot.

The characters in The DUFF weren't well developed at all in my opinion except for Wesley and Bianca who still could have had some work done. Casey and Jess/Jessica were just too plain to me and even though they weren't the main characters I still would have appreciated learning their backgrounds a little bit more in order to truly understand where they were coming from in certain situations.

As for the actually plot of the story, it was okay but definitely not my favorite. I picked up the book because it was only like $.99 on the NOOK about two years ago and I thought it was a cool idea. Now, I'm glad that I didn't pay more for it. From the synopsis, I was still expecting something different and I just don't feel like I got that. Overall I would give the book 3 out of 5 stars.
Yessiree27
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yessiree27.html

Post by Yessiree27 »

I think The DUFF is Kody Keplinger's best book to date. It's good to read stories of girls who triumph over their personal struggles, be it insecurity or trauma. It's also a story of friendship and loyalty. In some ways, the characters are relatable so is the plot. While the story centered on Bianca, I think there was a need to further develop Wesley's character. It would be nice to read a Wesley's POV of this story.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I remember when this book came out but it took me a good four years to actually pick it up and read it. I enjoyed it so much more than I expected and I have since sought out other books by Kody Keplinger. When I'm in the right place, I plan to read That's NOT What Happened.

Even though I thought the movie was cute, I was disappointed that they changed so much from the original story. Did anyone else feel the same way?
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I haven't read the book yet or seen the movie, but it seems like a good premise. An overweight teenge girl grappling with overcoming insecure feelings and a seemingly overconfident boy who has issues of his own to conquer. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I never realised there was a book version of this movie, but I have to admit that the majority of my favourite movies have originally been books. I’m definitely looking forward to reading this know that I’m aware of it and I would definitely recommend for others to do the same because if it’s anything like the movie it’s realistic, hopeful and teaches young adults vital messages that are particularly relevant today.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think I may have preferred the movie. I know, I know, ''the book is always better''. But I really enjoyed the movie and when I went to read the book, I found myself wishing that it was more like the movie. It was still a good book though.
taylorferraro
Favorite Book: Artemis
Currently Reading: Helter Skelter
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by taylorferraro »

I unfortunately saw the movie first, which I tend to make it a rule to read the book before seeing any movie adaptations of it, and somehow, I ended up liking the movie better. I really did like the uniqueness of the plot and this book, so I still enjoyed reading it, but the movie was better in my opinion. Minus the super cringey bits.
AneisaRamnath1996
Currently Reading:

Post by AneisaRamnath1996 »

I read this book and saw the movie and i must say it was so relatable for me because going through highschool was a bit tough for me. I enjoyed reading this book alot. I look forward to more👍
Reanrean

Post by Reanrean »

This book is rated R compared to the movie but with that being said it is a compelling read. I read the whole book in a day. This book is about finding out who you are compared to what type of friends you have and the people you have relationships with. I feel as thought any teenager can relate to this book. This is a must read. D.U.F.F. stands for designated ugly fat friend. The message behind this book is that words or phrases only have meaning it you let them, reclaim them and let them empower you, don’t let them tear you down.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”