Review of Suspended

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Suspended

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Suspended" by Peter Jenvay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robert Clay witnesses Steve Palmer flipping his car for no apparent reason. After emergency vehicles arrive, Robert walks home, and as he passes the Rimmerton College campus in Solace, Iowa, he sees something unbelievable. A naked man is suspended 150 feet in the air over the meadow. As more and more people witness the phenomena, some become frightened and think they have been invaded by either a Divine Power or an alien. The media names the suspended man MITS (man in the sky). Robert contacts his friend and former professor, Dr. Emerik Whitaker (Rik), to get his opinion about MITS. They join Professor Malcolm Hines in the college observatory, where they send a drone to get a better look at the man. A rescue helicopter tries to capture MITS but crashes to the ground. Did the drone reveal what caused the helicopter to crash? Did it capture a picture of the man? Is the man real and a danger to the community? What caused Steve Palmer's accident? Read Suspended by Peter Jenvay to see what Robert and his friends find out about MITS.

Peter Jenvay has done a fantastic job of telling this story from Robert's point of view. Each character is fully developed in enough detail to allow me to feel like I knew each of them. I could feel Emily's migraines that were caused by a brain tumor. I could feel the confusion, awe, and fear experienced by the spectators of MITS. This book has many thought-provoking ideas and quotes that readers can learn from. My favorite quote was by Stephen Grellet: "I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." I appreciate that the author defined terms like ontology, a branch of metaphysics that studies existence.

This book has only a couple of negative aspects that I will discuss. Firstly, the book has not been professionally edited. The narrative has a plethora of errors that mainly consist of inconsistencies in spelling the characters' names. For example, Rik is sometimes spelled Rick. Secondly, I would have preferred that the List of Characters had been at the beginning of the book instead of the end so that I could have confirmed the names sooner.

I have no choice but to give this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the lack of professional editing. A professional editor would have found the mistakes in this book. I did not consider the location of the List of Characters in my rating because that is a personal preference. Overall, I enjoyed reading this thought-provoking book.

Young adults are the targeted audience for this book. However, I am sure many adults who enjoy science-fiction and fantasy books that contain paranormal activities will also enjoy this book. Although this book focuses on religion, the content is not traditional beliefs about God, angels, and Lucifer. It is a book of fantasy, and it falsifies religious beliefs. Therefore, I believe this book is suitable for anyone despite their religious beliefs. For example, God is not perfect and is controlled by angels who do not trust his judgment, and Adam ate the forbidden fruit, not Eve.

Suspended
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Motjari Karumendu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Motjari Karumendu »

Robert Clay witnesses Steve Palmer flipping his car for no apparent reason. After emergency vehicles arrive, Robert walks home, and as he passes the Rimmerton College campus in Solace, Iowa, he sees something unbelievable. A naked man is suspended 150 feet in the air over the meadow. As more and more people witness the phenomena, some become frightened and think they have been invaded by either a Divine Power or an alien. The media names the suspended man MITS (man in the sky). Robert contacts his friend and former professor, Dr. Emerik Whitaker (Rik), to get his opinion about MITS. They join Professor Malcolm Hines in the college observatory, where they send a drone to get a better look at the man. A rescue helicopter tries to capture MITS but crashes to the ground. Did the drone reveal what caused the helicopter to crash? Did it capture a picture of the man? Is the man real and a danger to the community? What caused Steve Palmer's accident? Read Suspended by Peter Jenvay to see what Robert and his friends find out about MITS.

Peter Jenvay has done a fantastic job of telling this story from Robert's point of view. Each character is fully developed in enough detail to allow me to feel like I knew each of them. I could feel Emily's migraines that were caused by a brain tumor. I could feel the confusion, awe, and fear experienced by the spectators of MITS. This book has many thought-provoking ideas and quotes that readers can learn from. My favorite quote was by Stephen Grellet: "I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." I appreciate that the author defined terms like ontology, a branch of metaphysics that studies existence.

This book has only a couple of negative aspects that I will discuss. Firstly, the book has not been professionally edited. The narrative has a plethora of errors that mainly consist of inconsistencies in spelling the characters' names. For example, Rik is sometimes spelled Rick. Secondly, I would have preferred that the List of Characters had been at the beginning of the book instead of the end so that I could have confirmed the names sooner.

I have no choice but to give this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the lack of professional editing. A professional editor would have found the mistakes in this book. I did not consider the location of the List of Characters in my rating because that is a personal preference. Overall, I enjoyed reading this thought-provoking book.

Young adults are the targeted audience for this book. However, I am sure many adults who enjoy science-fiction and fantasy books that contain paranormal activities will also enjoy this book. Although this book focuses on religion, the content is not traditional beliefs about God, angels, and Lucifer. It is a book of fantasy, and it falsifies religious beliefs. Therefore, I believe this book is suitable for anyone despite their religious beliefs. For example, God is not perfect and is controlled by angels who do not trust his judgment, and Adam ate the forbidden fruit, not Eve.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

This has been on my to read list forever and you've finally convinced me. Great review.
it is what it is ....
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’ve seen another review of this novel and although you focused on differing aspects of it, you both recommended it. That being the case, I will take the insight and add this to my list.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

The creative cover book design attracted to me this book , and the contents are really appealing.
I look forward to reading this book.
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

For a book as interesting as this, the editing is crucial to keep the reader glued. I hope the author does that. Amazing review.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

This review is beautifully written. I liked the choice of words, and the easy flow of narration.
I will definitely read this book
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

This review is beautifully written. I liked the choice of words, and the easy flow of narration.
I will definitely read this book

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”