Harry Potter: do you prefer the books or the movies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Roland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-roland.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Harry Potter: do you prefer the books or the movies

Post by Grace Roland »

Alet Van Tonder wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 13:36 I absolutely loved the movies and somehow did not enjoy the books to the same extent. Surprising but in this case movies over books for me.
Same here, I enjoyed the movies more than the books.
Rosie Ziarnik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosie-ziarnik.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rosie Ziarnik »

Without hesitation, I prefer the books. Because there's so much description and detail in the books, the movies cannot get the whole picture without each movie being 7 hours long. I might be biased because I read the books first, but I believe the movies do not justice to the story within the books. I absolutely love the movies and I watch them often, but I will always hold a very special place in my heart for the first time I read the book series.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

It will always be books over movies for me. Although I watched the movies before reading the books, I felt it not appropriate to include more content of his friendship with dobby. The book was excellent.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

This question always makes me think but I have to say for now I would prefer books over movies. The books explains the connection between Harry and dobby better than the movies.
Angela Ormson
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Angela Ormson »

At heart, I definitely would have to say that I prefer the books, but the reality with how much I read to how much I put the movies on in the background for a comforting noise, I'm going to say the movies.
Alicia Foland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alicia Foland »

Although Daniel Radcliff, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint did a wonderful job of portraying everybody's favorite characters, I do not believe that the movies did the book justice. J. K. Rowling wrote seven legendary books that are recommended to anybody who loves to read, and the books are much better at describing the events than the movies are. Furthermore, the movies did not include everything the books did, and the story line is increasingly hard to follow as the movies progress.
Richmond Fiagbe

Post by Richmond Fiagbe »

I have only seen the movies, I don't know if I will ever read the books. Books are usually more informative than the movie so I usually like to read the book first. It's usually more time-consuming if it's a series of books. I do like Harry Potter though!
Parfait Benny NSABIYUMVA
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Parfait Benny NSABIYUMVA »

I prefer the movie to the books because in the movie we see many things and also the sensation of watching is not the same as reading the book itself.
Sydni Manuel
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret

Post by Sydni Manuel »

I have read the books after watching the movies... While I am a huge fan of the movies, the books have much more details in them that makes it extra special, so definitely books for me if I had choose :techie-studyingbrown:
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Books massively, I read them before the movies and I was quite disappointed with how much was cut out of the movies. I've gone back and read the books again. I wouldn't be so enthusiastic to watch the movies again.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I prefer the books, and I have read them so many times (in different languages in fact). As it’s understandable, they are more complete than the films, and I think they transmit better the sensations of how Harry feels than the films.
Awkwardly, I prefer the Order of Phoenix film to the book. Just because I feel the book’s progress is too slow.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

The movies were excellent and kept the standard throughout. However, the books had a lot more depth to them that was not translated into the movies. What an exceptional series though.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Saima Rahman »

I will never be able to choose. The books are definitely richer in terms of details and plotlines. But the way the movies bring the story to life is incomparable. So be it books or movies or both, the more magic the better!
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

I prefer the books to the movies, just like almost everyone here. Though the movies were great, they’ll never be as good as the books. The books have more depth.
Piavermabhandari

Post by Piavermabhandari »

I read the books first, imagining the characters as I went through them. And then the movie added on to the visuals. Both books and movies are excellent.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”